What's new

Anyone trying out Safari 4 Beta?

I don't mean to start any huge debate right now :)biggrin:), but I don't understand why Apple hasn't done some of the things that make a PC easier to use. For example, I right-click, use backspace, and like a keypad on my laptop. I haven't switched to a Mac because I can't do those things, and the fewer USB ports compared to my laptops.

um, macs right click now too. Their mouse looks like it still has one button, but it does in fact register as left or right depending on what side you click.

Um, use backspace? Not sure what you mean there, but they use a standard qwerty keyboard and they have a "delete" key.. Maybe I'm just not getting your question.

USB- how many usb ports does a laptop need? They're for lugging around right? How many peripherals do you usually connect at one time when you're on the road? If it's for home, and you need more than what the macs come with, a usb hub could be used. They're like 15 bucks and can let you "daisy chain" more usb devices. No software to configure.

I use both macs and pcs every day and to be honest, I find both machines easy to use. They both have their quirks but I can't say I prefer one to the other. I do find apple is more innovative though and tends be the leader in that respect.

I don't mean to start any huge debate right now :)biggrin:), but I don't understand why Apple hasn't done some of the things that make a PC easier to use. For example, I right-click, use backspace, and like a keypad on my laptop. I haven't switched to a Mac because I can't do those things, and the fewer USB ports compared to my laptops.

It's only easier because you're familiar with it. I find the Mac much easier/better, but even though I use both Mac and PC, the bulk of my experience has been with the Mac for the last 7-8 years. Someone who is truly deeply schooled in each would likely say there are good points and bad points to both. I'll never go back to PC's, however... :biggrin:

It's only easier because you're familiar with it. I find the Mac much easier/better, but even though I use both Mac and PC, the bulk of my experience has been with the Mac for the last 7-8 years. Someone who is truly deeply schooled in each would likely say there are good points and bad points to both. I'll never go back to PC's, however... :biggrin:

Amen! Since I switched to Mac at the house I haven't had to do any "tech support" for the fam. I hate to be cliche but the whole "it just works" tagline is so very true.

um, macs right click now too. Their mouse looks like it still has one button, but it does in fact register as left or right depending on what side you click.

Um, use backspace? Not sure what you mean there, but they use a standard qwerty keyboard and they have a "delete" key.. Maybe I'm just not getting your question.

USB- how many usb ports does a laptop need? They're for lugging around right? How many peripherals do you usually connect at one time when you're on the road? If it's for home, and you need more than what the macs come with, a usb hub could be used. They're like 15 bucks and can let you "daisy chain" more usb devices. No software to configure.

I use both macs and pcs every day and to be honest, I find both machines easy to use. They both have their quirks but I can't say I prefer one to the other. I do find apple is more innovative though and tends be the leader in that respect.

I'd love to see the macbook with a right-click capability EDIT: saw that there is a workaround that can be done now (still isn't as easy as a right-click button). Delete erases text ahead of the cursor & backspace erases text behind the cursor (thus the name backspace). Not all of us like to be tied to a desk and use laptops around the house like say on the couch. If I want to plug more than a couple of peripherals in while I have my butt on the couch I would prefer not to have to drag a hub around. While not always the brightest guy on earth, I'm not an blithering idiot either...

Last edited:

My point is that Apple fails to recognize there are some things that their products just should do. A lot of people don't have an iPhone because they just can't do some basic things that people have come to expect from a phone (ie., beam contacts). I have actually been trying to make myself buy one for the last 4 years, but I haven't been able to pull the trigger. I personally believe that it is a better product, but they are really expensive and have the minor inconvenience issues that I talked about.

I thinks is a good evolutionary step, if not revolutionary. The top sites feature is good, but only after you select some sites for it to display. I like having a choice of where to go once it starts.

Trying out coverflow to browse history is more useful than I thought it would be. It allowed me to pinpoint to an exact youtube video I wanted to call up for my wife. the preview let me see enough to know I had the correct one without having to click on very link.

It's quicker to load pages, that I can tell for sure.

The new way of handling tabs is excellent. No more drop down bar. They just open and are there and your view hasn't changed.

Still no choice of different search engines or support for many third party add-ons. I miss those features form FireFox.

All in all I think they added some nice touches.

I'd love to see the macbook with a right-click capability EDIT: saw that there is a workaround that can be done now (still isn't as easy as a right-click button). Delete erases text ahead of the cursor & backspace erases text behind the cursor (thus the name backspace). Not all of us like to be tied to a desk and use laptops around the house like say on the couch. If I want to plug more than a couple of peripherals in while I have my butt on the couch I would prefer not to have to drag a hub around. While not always the brightest guy on earth, I'm not an blithering idiot either...

Normally I use a cordless multi-button mouse with my Macbook taking up one of the two USB ports. Never have I needed an additional port for any peripherals whilst "having my butt on the couch." Mouse in one port, sometimes an external USB/firewire drive in the other port. If I need to print that's taken care of via wireless networking. Not trying to harp but what other peripherals are needed to be USB connected while sitting on the couch?

Normally I use a cordless multi-button mouse with my Macbook taking up one of the two USB ports. Never have I needed an additional port for any peripherals whilst "having my butt on the couch." Mouse in one port, sometimes an external USB/firewire drive in the other port. If I need to print that's taken care of via wireless networking. Not trying to harp but what other peripherals are needed to be USB connected while sitting on the couch?

iPhone charger, small scanner if I want to do some light work, trackball mouse for people who don't like the other types, number pad if doing a spreadsheet. Let's not act like 2 USB ports should be all one would need.

My point is that Apple fails to recognize there are some things that their products just should do.

Yeah, that's basically true. But PC's have the same types of issues, just *different* ones than Apple - there are some things a PC should "just do" also.

Top Bottom