What's new

Anyone try Valobra menthol soap?

Of the two, I certainly prefer the performance of P.160 over Valobra, however I have just received my second block of Menthol, and in no way does it lack that Menthol kick.

David

VERY interesting. I just might have to try it again. Maybe, Smallflower had an old batch when I tried it.:001_cool:

Wow, there have been some serious resurrecting of old threads going on around here. I guess its better than a "tell me about Proraso" thread posted about a week after another one.

Anyway, I really liked Valobra menthol. It didn't have virtually any menthol kick or scent of anything, but it worked nicely, built a quick lather, and is pretty large (about 5.2 ounces or 150g). Also, as noted by Marco, it is a very natural soap, with not a lot of ingredients and still made in an "old school" manner. One of the charms of Martin de Candre soap is its preparation and limited ingredients; I think Valobra is similar and about 1/7th the cost.

Nothing wrong with bringing back old thread IMO as it shows effort to search on the part of the person. Thank for this thread as my wife just bought me a block of it from Corti brothers market and it's next on the block as I whittle down the last of the Proraso. Looking forward to it.

Wow, there have been some serious resurrecting of old threads going on around here. I guess its better than a "tell me about Proraso" thread posted about a week after another one.

Anyway, I really liked Valobra menthol. It didn't have virtually any menthol kick or scent of anything, but it worked nicely, built a quick lather, and is pretty large (about 5.2 ounces or 150g). Also, as noted by Marco, it is a very natural soap, with not a lot of ingredients and still made in an "old school" manner. One of the charms of Martin de Candre soap is its preparation and limited ingredients; I think Valobra is similar and about 1/7th the cost.

Nothing wrong with bringing back old thread IMO as it shows effort to search on the part of the person. Thank for this thread as my wife just bought me a block of it from Corti brothers market and it's next on the block as I whittle down the last of the Proraso. Looking forward to it.

Yeah, I forgot to mention there's nothing wrong with re-opening old threads, especially if its to highlight a product as solid as Valobra. I almost bought some (its on sale for $9.99 with free shipping at West Elm per this thread) just re-reading old posts based on this resurrected thread.

I bought the Valobra menthol from west elm for $10 a while back, and it's absolutely worth it.

I'm a decades long user of the Valobra stick, but both the almond and menthol croaps are really terrific, especially when lathered using Marco's method. And, yes, I do love a strong menthol kick (QSC Vostok is a favorite), but the subtler menthol of the Valobra is very nice.

For comparison (and to get a sense of where my judgment comes from), the other soaps I like best these days are: MdC Fougere, Klar's Kabinett, Cella, La Toja stick. Valobra is the equal of all of them... OK, maybe not the MdC, but that stuff is pretty special, and to keep it special I don't use it every day.

I'm a big fan, think it deserves more credit than it gets. I agree that there's no noticeable menthol feeling, but it sure does make a rich slick lather.

I purchased Valobra Menthol from the West Elm deal and I love it. It is a joy to use and the favorite in my small stable. It does everything well and I like the clean, soapy smell.

Ordered some from West Elm tonight. $8.47 with the additional JULY20 discount code. I've seen it for about $16 on a couple sites. Looking forward to trying it. Should this be stored in the fridge to prevent spoiling like Cella?

Last edited:
I store it in a covered container at room temperature. I haven't had any trouble.
Thank you. The reason I ask is because I have a tub of Cella that I get the feeling is starting to turn a bit and it was kept in a cool dry place for a few months before I used it.

Great deal at West Elm, I've ordered from them before. Every so often they put Imperial Barber stuff on sale too..... usually with free shipping.

Ben

Just ordered some from West Elm for $7.99 as well.

What's the best way to use this soap? Break off a bit and add it to the bowl, or lather directly on top of the block?

Just ordered some from West Elm for $7.99 as well.

What's the best way to use this soap? Break off a bit and add it to the bowl, or lather directly on top of the block?

I just received a couple boxes of this stuff today from West Elm as well. What a great deal. Yeah, you're not going to break a chunk off.... it's quite gooey. Likely, you'll have to scrap it off the plastic wrapper it comes in if you put it in a container of some kind:

I use an IKEA Grundtal to store mine in:

I stole that photo off the web.... it's not actually mine. But I did the same thing and cut out the label on the box and glued it to the underside of the clear IKEA Grundtal lid.

Ben

Thanks for the photo. I was curious to see what it would look like. I am wondering if it will be a sloppy mess if left out in the heat before I get home.

Thanks for the photo. I was curious to see what it would look like. I am wondering if it will be a sloppy mess if left out in the heat before I get home.

It's kind of a sticky mess anyway at normal temperature. I guess I'd definitely let it cool before attempting to open it and remove it from the plastic. Seems like they should package it in wax paper or something that doesn't let the soap stick to it as much. I'm sure the plastic keeps it contained and fresh, but the soap just sticks to it. I think it will be fine in the heat as long as you let it cool before you try to open it. Maybe stick it in the fridge to cool it faster.

Ben

Well, I had a problem with ordering the soap last week and eventually called to order, and today I wound up with 2 boxes at the front door. I'll have to see how many I was billed for. I opened the cardboard box and found the small brick wrapped in a paper. This is a loose soap! It feels as if there is a brick of Velveeta in the wrapping. Putting it in the fridge until I use it. I might reach for it right after finishing Cella.

Top Bottom