What's new

Anyone here use the pine pellets cat litter?

I just got some after using clumping for years. Sometimes I think about going back to non even if it means changing the box more often.

Yes. It improves tracking, but one of our two cats won't use it. I think there are methods to introduce it slowly to avoid this. We didn't do that so I'd recommend following those guides if your cats don't like it.

Our cats looked at it and said "no dice"!
We didn't do a gradual introduction of the new litter, so that might have contributed to the pine pellets chilly reception.

What is the theoretical advantage of the pine litter over clay litter?

Between those two it's about dust and tracking. Pine is large pellets so they don't track easily through the house. Same reason for less dust. But it's also the same reason for why pine is worse at all the actual litter box stuff (clumping, scooping, etc) than normal litters. It's a real double-edged sword.

There are also in-between with pine made of smaller particles. World's Best Cat Litter is like this. A few other interesting options out there - even tofu litter (pretty good, actually).

We've been on a litter deep-dive lately, if you can't tell.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Going on a litter deep-dive is sure and certain proof that cat lovers' love for their cats is extreme. I am grateful at this time to be a dog person but salute your devotion.

Been using this woman's method for more than a few years:

Edit to add: I don't use a scoop. I use cheap kitchen tongs.

Last edited:
What is the theoretical advantage of the pine litter over clay litter?
Actually there is a little IMO. Very low tracking/zero dust. No urine smell at all after 8 days and my cat pees a lot. Very clean/nice scent. Doesn't stick to the box at all and no huge stinky clumps. The only disadvantage is it's hard to when it's exactly time to change it but you use little only 1".

Between those two it's about dust and tracking. Pine is large pellets so they don't track easily through the house. Same reason for less dust. But it's also the same reason for why pine is worse at all the actual litter box stuff (clumping, scooping, etc) than normal litters. It's a real double-edged sword.

There are also in-between with pine made of smaller particles. World's Best Cat Litter is like this. A few other interesting options out there - even tofu litter (pretty good, actually).

We've been on a litter deep-dive lately, if you can't tell.
Good to know about World's Best. I and my cat wish the pellets were smaller too.

World’s Best works very well for clumping and all. There are many other similar brands. It’s plant matter and quickly biodegradable, I just toss it on the lawn. It’s no different from my 3 cats and all other wildlife doing their business outside. Even throughout the winter it goes in the snow. Once the grass turns green in spring the whole thing disappears almost overnight. Same with all the kitchen food scraps. Vigorous lawn with zero additives and little maintenance.

To get the most out of pine pellets you have to incorporate a whole litter box system. Just replacing your clumping litter with pellets won't give you much of a benefit. Though the cost savings would still register. In the past, I've used a sifting litter box with pine pellets and it wasn't all that great. It can be modified to make it better. But the best system is what that woman in the video I posted above presented. Once you go all in you'll never go back. It's the easiest to maintain. Chalk it up to the Swiss for having a company that actually makes litter boxes for the pellet system. I wish this was available in the USA.

Going on a litter deep-dive is sure and certain proof that cat lovers' love for their cats is extreme. I am grateful at this time to be a dog person but salute your devotion.
Well, when we lived on the 20th floor, we trained our dog to use a litter box and our kids to clean it :c1:

When I had a cat I switched from the clay litter to clumping pine litter. It is more like sawdust, and it clumps and performs similarly to clay. The pine shavings didn't have as much dust as clay and the dust it did have smelled like pine and not the horrible cat litter perfumes. Plus I thought the pine shavings might compost better.

I used the pine shavings and went back to pellets. The shavings were showing up where the cat hadn't even been! Awful stuff.

To get the most out of pine pellets you have to incorporate a whole litter box system. Just replacing your clumping litter with pellets won't give you much of a benefit. Though the cost savings would still register. In the past, I've used a sifting litter box with pine pellets and it wasn't all that great. It can be modified to make it better. But the best system is what that woman in the video I posted above presented. Once you go all in you'll never go back. It's the easiest to maintain. Chalk it up to the Swiss for having a company that actually makes litter boxes for the pellet system. I wish this was available in the USA.

Here's what I do now. After a week of cleaning out the poop I've got a combo of clean pellets and saw dust. By this time the 1" of litter is swelled up to 3". I take a litter scoop and fill it with litter from the pan, shake it over the box and I'm left with pellets which I put into a 3 gallon pale. After about 3 mins I'm left with a pale full of mostly clean pellets. What's left in the litter box is mostly sawdust. I clean out the litter box and put the pellets back in. Since the pellets are cheap I would only do this routine once then use new pellets. Takes a little time but works fine. I will watched your video and love it. Thanks.

Top Bottom