What's new

Anyone find Proraso overrated?

If Proraso smelled like Acqua di Parma or something people would rave about it. About the only thing it doesn't have is a stunning scent. Functionally it is better than many artisanal soaps I've tried.

I first used Proraso in 2005. Picked up a tube for a little over a Euro while in Rome. Since then Proraso has been a stable in my shaving experience. There might be other creams/soaps as good as proraso but there are very few that are better. Master Italian barbers cannot be wrong.

I still think Proraso is OK performance-per-dollar. $10 for 10 Oz. is not bad at all.
I do wish C.O. Bigelow rebranded the other 3 Proraso colors. But it's still nice being able to get the Green locally.

I feel like menthol shaving creams protect very well against nicks and cuts. They just tighten up your skin.

While it is an overrated product, I would give it to a Beginner.

I'd say no, they aren't overrated. The performance is more than commensurate with the price, IME.
I think the Green, and Blue are very, very good, in terms of performance, and scent.
One concern I find is that the Proraso creams/"croaps" don't rinse as cleanly (white residue) as some of my preferred creams though.

I really enjoy Proraso. At first I turned my nose up at it because it seemed like it was for noobs because it was cheap and easy to lather. Now I have the full lineup including the barber sized green cream "pillow" and green 400ml bottle and atomizer. 😁 Can't wait for the Red aftershave to hit the shores of the US.

Eh. That's like saying Colgate toothpaste is overrated. It's a functional, inexpensive product.
Totally agree. There are arguably better soaps from long term makers or modern artisans, but for a mass market product Proraso is quite good.

The blue cream has an odd scent that some will not like, but the shave performance is good, with the post shave feeling above average IMO.

Well I started DE shaving with Bigelow (Proraso Green), then I moved on to more expensive creams and soaps because I was "supposed to".

Now it's about 2 years later, and I'm back to Proraso green and blue exclusively.

If Proraso were a wine at a wine critics' convention, would it be the best wine? I dunno, but probably not. Is it overrated? No sir.

I used it quite a bit when I first started DE shaving. It's okay, I guess. I just found a plethora or more interesting products. I think I still have half a tube pushed to the back of the drawer. Last time I used it it was heated in a scuttle. Sort of clotted.

Put me down as "meh."

I guess it depends on who does the rating and what you consider "over-rated". Ratings are opinions and suggestions so nothing finite. I rate Proraso as very good (maybe 8/10) for value, performance, and variety of scents.

I agree 100000/100000% with steve Steve!

The blue and green are good but I could not get a good lather out of the sandalwood (red). I gave it to my neighbor who is big into traditional shaving, and he had no luck with it either.

No, it's not even remotely overrated. This product has been around for what, 65+ years and it is still popular and highly regarded today. Are the world-wide masses mistaken or been duped or is it regarded so highly because it's actually an excellent product that has earned it's reputation? Based on performance alone, there are probably few if any products that are notably better. When you consider performance and cost per ounce, it may very well be the best in the world. Perhaps some consider Proraso too plebeian and perhaps it doesn't satisfy everyone's preferences but it's an outstanding value and can easily stand proudly and perform well amongst the best of them.

Price aside, on it's own, Proraso creams & soaps are very good.

Now one can debate if for $10 a tube or tub is worth it when compared to others. However, if you live or visit Italy, you can purchase these products for about $2. And quite frankly for that price there is nothing better in my humble opinion.

I agree with you 100%. I have 3 co bigelow tubes and 3 proraso red tubes. Don't care for the smell on either of them. They are good creams, but you can get other shaving creams less expensive that are just as good if not better. Proraso is overrated.. Very overrated I'd say. I don't find any proraso creams to be that slick. I won;t be buying any proraso tubes anytime soon. I got kiss my face cool mint shaving cream and even this performs slightly better than proraso imo.

I also agree. I bought a tube of C.O.Bigelow Premium made by Proraso yesterday. I used it this morning. I put an almond sized dollop on my brush and went to town as usual. Added a tiny bit of water as I whipped it up. I was surprised that the amount of lather it produced was not as much as I get from a similar amount of TOBS. The amount I got was enough for one pass. Also, as I lathered it onto my face, it seemed to dissipate or disappear quickly. I used up all of the lather in the mug for the first pass and noticed that it just wasn't that slick. I used another almond sized dollop and was able to whip up enough more for two passes. And I didn't really like my shave this morning. My face felt pretty irritated and when the AV Blue was applied, I almost jumped through the roof. I won't come to any final conclusions about the cream until I use it some more but it sure didn't leave me with a good first impression.

Proraso is a relatively thirsty cream. If you're not getting the slickness or lather that you like it may need more water.

I also agree. I bought a tube of C.O.Bigelow Premium made by Proraso yesterday. I used it this morning. I put an almond sized dollop on my brush and went to town as usual. Added a tiny bit of water as I whipped it up. I was surprised that the amount of lather it produced was not as much as I get from a similar amount of TOBS. The amount I got was enough for one pass. Also, as I lathered it onto my face, it seemed to dissipate or disappear quickly. I used up all of the lather in the mug for the first pass and noticed that it just wasn't that slick. I used another almond sized dollop and was able to whip up enough more for two passes. And I didn't really like my shave this morning. My face felt pretty irritated and when the AV Blue was applied, I almost jumped through the roof. I won't come to any final conclusions about the cream until I use it some more but it sure didn't leave me with a good first impression.

I'm not sure you're lathering it correctly. An almond size dollop in a salsa bowl (my bowl of choice) explodes to fill the bowl. I'm a BBS junkie and do four passes each morning, and I have wash out 1/4 to 1/3 of the lather which remains after I'm done.

As I'm typing this I'm 14 hours into my latest BBS shave, I hope I have enough stubble tomorrow when I wake up to do it again.

I have owned tubs of TOBS Eton College, St. James and Jermyn Street and have given them away. Although I prefer the TOBS scents, these creams in my experience don't hold their moisture content as well as the Proraso creams. Winner (for me): Proraso, hands down.

I'm not sure you're lathering it correctly. An almond size dollop in a salsa bowl (my bowl of choice) explodes to fill the bowl. I'm a BBS junkie and do four passes each morning, and I have wash out 1/4 to 1/3 of the lather which remains after I'm done.

As I'm typing this I'm 14 hours into my latest BBS shave, I hope I have enough stubble tomorrow when I wake up to do it again.

I have owned tubs of TOBS Eton College, St. James and Jermyn Street and have given them away. Although I prefer the TOBS scents, these creams in my experience don't hold their moisture content as well as the Proraso creams. Winner (for me): Proraso, hands down.

As I've thought about my shave yesterday, which was not good and bothered me, I don't necessarily think it was the Bigelow cream. I think it was the boar brush I used. It seemed to just swallow up lather but not give it back up. I'm going to give the cream plenty of opportunity to show me what it can do and I'm sure my results with different brushes will likely end up making it a regular part of my rotation. Ironically, today I used TOBS Sandalwood with a Parker King Size badger and had tons of slick lather overflowing my bowl. And I used a 1946 to 1950 era Gillette Ball End Tech for the first time that arrived yesterday and I have to say I had the best shave I have ever had in my short DE life. I guess different products work well for different people. I'll probably chime back with the results of further proraso/bigelow usage.

Top Bottom