What's new

Any word on Noodler flex nibs?

I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on a Noodler flex nib. Does anyone happen to have any update on when these might hit the streets?:blink:

forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of a flex nib?? I'm a leftie and wonder if I should even consider one, lol...sounds cool though ;-)

It allows for great line variation... you apply pressure when making the downstroke to make the line fat, and write normally on the upstrokes for thinner lines. Really makes the ink look cool, great for drawing and certain calligraphy fonts too. Takes some practice to get used to. :)

It allows for great line variation... you apply pressure when making the downstroke to make the line fat, and write normally on the upstrokes for thinner lines. Really makes the ink look cool, great for drawing and certain calligraphy fonts too. Takes some practice to get used to. :)

Thanks so much for the quick answer, and I look forward to using the ink that just shipped from you ;-) I'll be ordering more for certain, lol

forgive my ignorance, but what is the benefit of a flex nib?? I'm a leftie and wonder if I should even consider one, lol...sounds cool though ;-)

Why would you want to write with a fountain pen? This sums it up nicely: http://bit.ly/pDnBht (not my writing)

I understand that the writer used a Noodler's Flex Nib for the writing sample. My wife used to do calligraphy for a medieval recreation group that we were in, but had to give it up because of arthritis. I'm hoping to make my writing look better than the hen scratch that I currently have.

They're still a few weeks off. A test batch of the new feed came in last week, and all looked good, so it's just waiting for the manufacturer to deliver the goods in high quantities!

Why would you want to write with a fountain pen? This sums it up nicely: http://bit.ly/pDnBht (not my writing)

I understand that the writer used a Noodler's Flex Nib for the writing sample. My wife used to do calligraphy for a medieval recreation group that we were in, but had to give it up because of arthritis. I'm hoping to make my writing look better than the hen scratch that I currently have.

I wasn't asking "why write with a fountain pen"....just asking if there's any benefit to writing with a flex nib...especially for a left handed person, me. Thanks though ;-)

After having used Noodler's Flex Nibs, my answer would be, "not a whole lot". In my experience, you need to have a pretty firm hand in order to get much of anything out of it. I'm a light-handed writer, so Noodler's flex nibs don't do me much good; they're just your average, everyday FP to me. I'm not saying they're bad pens, necessarily, but they might not be what you'd expect.

After having used Noodler's Flex Nibs, my answer would be, "not a whole lot". In my experience, you need to have a pretty firm hand in order to get much of anything out of it. I'm a light-handed writer, so Noodler's flex nibs don't do me much good; they're just your average, everyday FP to me. I'm not saying they're bad pens, necessarily, but they might not be what you'd expect.

thanks, that's the info I was looking for ;-) I've had to retrain myself to use light pressure with a FP...I like to write a bit harder, so I may be in for a Noodler's Flex Nib. Again, thanks

The Noodler's flex nib pens aren't as flexy as a true antique flex nib, but then they don't cost as much either! It takes practice and patience to write well with them. They are interesting and addictive (I have 6..) anyway I also have several true flex Waterman's so I have a good comparison in my collection.

As a comparison of cost the most I have ever paid for a flex Noodler's is $14, which is $4 less than my cheapest antique flex (interestingly a Sheaffer school pen) I scored bigtime at $18. If the seller had known to mention the "flex" in the nib it easily would have doubled the cost of that pen. (I bought it on a lark, bid minimum and ended up winning!)

The Noodler's flex nib pens are stainless, the antiques are 14K. The stainless takes more pressure to flex it fully, but nice effects are still easily obtainable. It does take practice, the biggest thing for me is SLOWING DOWN as I write.

I lucked into my antique flexes, hunting them down can be costly. A Noodler's pen for $14 will let you know for sure if it's something you want to pursue. To be honest you likely will be able to trade the pen for something else if you don't like it so the loss potential is minimal.

And yes, hearing that another batch is coming is causing my wallet to cringe, I'll bet I'll have to find it in it's hiding place in the morning...

The Noodler's flex nib pens aren't as flexy as a true antique flex nib, but then they don't cost as much either! It takes practice and patience to write well with them. They are interesting and addictive (I have 6..) anyway I also have several true flex Waterman's so I have a good comparison in my collection.

As a comparison of cost the most I have ever paid for a flex Noodler's is $14, which is $4 less than my cheapest antique flex (interestingly a Sheaffer school pen) I scored bigtime at $18. If the seller had known to mention the "flex" in the nib it easily would have doubled the cost of that pen. (I bought it on a lark, bid minimum and ended up winning!)

The Noodler's flex nib pens are stainless, the antiques are 14K. The stainless takes more pressure to flex it fully, but nice effects are still easily obtainable. It does take practice, the biggest thing for me is SLOWING DOWN as I write.

I lucked into my antique flexes, hunting them down can be costly. A Noodler's pen for $14 will let you know for sure if it's something you want to pursue. To be honest you likely will be able to trade the pen for something else if you don't like it so the loss potential is minimal.

And yes, hearing that another batch is coming is causing my wallet to cringe, I'll bet I'll have to find it in it's hiding place in the morning...

I'll have to dip into my "She Money".....that's money she doesn't know I have ;-)

just asking if there's any benefit to writing with a flex nib...especially for a left handed person, me. Thanks though ;-)

While the demo said "fountain pen" it was written with a flex nib. (I copied my message from Twitter, so sue me. :p ;) ) A non-flex nib has a constant line width, while the flex has variable width, as demonstrated in the image.

I got nothing re: left handers, though. I'm a righty.

I believe the correct term is champing at the bit.

Per Answers.com both are technically currently usable. Champing is the classic (correct) usage, while chomping is the predominant contemporary usage.

Regardless, I didn't know that champing was "there". Guess that's what I get for not being around horses. ;)

I've got one of the first ones, and it is OK, but I don't use it much. I have bad handwriting that doesn't really benefit from the line variation. Also, IIRC, mine is prone to dripping (as are the other two noodler's pens I have).

While the demo said "fountain pen" it was written with a flex nib. (I copied my message from Twitter, so sue me. :p ;) ) A non-flex nib has a constant line width, while the flex has variable width, as demonstrated in the image.

I got nothing re: left handers, though. I'm a righty.

My legal team will be contacting you shortly....;-)

Top Bottom