What's new

Any Turkish Coffee lovers out there?

I don't have an ibrik, but I have made some getto turkish coffee in a small pot, I found a local store that sold them but for an obscene amount of money.

I'm thinking of trying to fashion my own ibrik using one of those small tomato paste cans, unless anyone can recommend an online source for some reasonably priced ones.

I don't have an ibrik, but I have made some getto turkish coffee in a small pot, I found a local store that sold them but for an obscene amount of money.

I'm thinking of trying to fashion my own ibrik using one of those small tomato paste cans, unless anyone can recommend an online source for some reasonably priced ones.

Define, reasonable. :biggrin1:

Not my favourite coffee, but still... quite special.
I do not have an ibrik, but I can enjoy it in my university canteen, only, that they call it Espresso.

While on vacation in Turkey when I called the pot "ibrik" they made fun of me. The name is cezve or something like this. They use ibriks to wash their behinds:lol:

I started drinking it when I worked at a Lebanese cafe, in time I was the guy making it. Still love making some from time to time.

Better to steer clear of the Greek-Turkish political issues over Cyprus and call it Arabic Coffee... On second thought, that probably doesn't solve anything.

I enjoy it once in a while. Even wrote a little HOWTO. Since you're a confirmed addict, maybe you could share some tips.

Better to steer clear of the Greek-Turkish political issues over Cyprus and call it Arabic Coffee... On second thought, that probably doesn't solve anything.

Where I worked, we just called it Arabic coffee, the owners said each country names it after themselves.:laugh:

Love it. I've got the little copper pot with the long handle, and TRY to have cardamom on hand to grind up with the beans. The cardamom REALLY makes a difference.

I'll put in a heaping tablespoon+ of turbinado/raw sugar before it goes onto heat, and I usually let it foam up and settle three times before removing it from heat and letting the sediment settle for a minute or two before serving.

I make that slice of liquid heaven at least twice a week... My favorite type of coffee! Ironically, I'm American of dutch decent, but i have had the pleasure of having Greek and Armenian friends who turned me on to it.

BTW, the Ibrik is necessary, but if you can find an ethic store nearby they will usually sell cheap models for around 7 dollars. The size matters, too. Make sure you get the right one for how much you intend to consume.

Being greek I grew up calling it Greek coffee.
And like you said it's a huge political thing so I'll just call it eastern coffee lol.

My mom makes it all the time during our family events I haven't mastered it yet.

As for what coffee or things you need we usually just buy the fine ground espresso and also Greek types of the coffee. Also my mom uses what we call a briki. We got it from the dollar store Of course growing up speaking only Greek some words are just lost in translation to me because they don't get used in English so I can't tell you the real English word for it.

Either way enough of my rambling but just wanted to say that yes I do enjoy the eastern coffee and it has a strong rich taste and aroma that does remind me of an espresso, but be warned don't drink the last third of the cup! Lol

Love the stuff especially made by my 85 year old Father-in-law. He had not made one for a while but did for me. Still just as good as before.

Where I worked, we just called it Arabic coffee, the owners said each country names it after themselves.:laugh:
Turkish coffee <> arabic coffee. The only acceptable addition to turkish coffee is sugar. turkish coffee = greek, cypriot, serbian, bosnian, macedonian,... i'm sure there are a few i'm missing. most still simply refer to it as turkish, except for the greeks of course. the method i've seen for making arabic coffee is also quite different.

I get mine from Natasha's Cafe vis the internet. They have an excellent variety of ibriks availble plus some scratch and dents. I've bought two from them so far and am very pleased with them. Both were scratch and dents and described as slightly damaged. When i recieved them, I barlety noticed a dent smaller then a golf ball dimple and it was less than 20 bucks.
I also order my turkish coffee from them and have been a customer for about two years.

Here's the link:

http://www.natashascafe.com/

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom