What's new

Any Soap Makers?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Looks like the answer is "yes." :)

Hmmm. "SMAUG" is probably more memorable than "SMoBB" for "Soap Makers of B&B." Since I got nothin', let's go with SMAUG unless somebody else has a more compelling acronym to offer. :thumbup1:

Plus we can rock all kinds of JRRT references and have a cool logo with a dragon on it wrapped around a razor and soap puck. Winner.

The "Soapmaking Forum" is a great resource and is referenced in the Silver Fox documents as well. There's an older but informative thread there, which I read early on but haven't revisited for a year or two.

I worked out a process that works with the Silver Fox forumula I have. I'm happy to share it. One thing to note about my soapmaking is that my goal was to find a formula that worked; I have less interest in digging into the numbers and percentages. If it works (and this one does) I'm happy with that. Others are welcome to get science-y, I enjoy reading it and will incorporate good ideas into my own practise.

As for giving it away, North American (US/Canada) laws allow it. Especially at this time of year people are gearing up to send all kinds of homemade products to friends and family! For some things, such as homemade beer and wine, one is ONLY allowed to give it away. Otherwise you're moonshining or bootlegging. I imagine that here in Canada where it's legal that one can similarly pass along some of the season's cannabis harvest but selling it would get some highly intrusive official attention.

O.H.

Looks like the answer is "yes." :)

Hmmm. "SMAUG" is probably more memorable than "SMoBB" for "Soap Makers of B&B." Since I got nothin', let's go with SMAUG unless somebody else has a more compelling acronym to offer. :thumbup1:

Plus we can rock all kinds of JRRT references and have a cool logo with a dragon on it wrapped around a razor and soap puck. Winner.

The "Soapmaking Forum" is a great resource and is referenced in the Silver Fox documents as well. There's an older but informative thread there, which I read early on but haven't revisited for a year or two.

I worked out a process that works with the Silver Fox forumula I have. I'm happy to share it. One thing to note about my soapmaking is that my goal was to find a formula that worked; I have less interest in digging into the numbers and percentages. If it works (and this one does) I'm happy with that. Others are welcome to get science-y, I enjoy reading it and will incorporate good ideas into my own practise.

As for giving it away, North American (US/Canada) laws allow it. Especially at this time of year people are gearing up to send all kinds of homemade products to friends and family! For some things, such as homemade beer and wine, one is ONLY allowed to give it away. Otherwise you're moonshining or bootlegging. I imagine that here in Canada where it's legal that one can similarly pass along some of the season's cannabis harvest but selling it would get some highly intrusive official attention.

O.H.
Exactly SMAUG lets us use a lot of cool stuff. Chuck do you want to do us the honor of making it since you started the thread?

And where would I find SMAUG? It doesn't seem to be included in the forums.
You'll find SMAUG here:

I make my own tallow/lard based hand soaps. I have tried making shave soap but have never been able to create a shave soap with stable lather. I have never added steric acid and I think that is what I have been missing. If anyone has a good recipe they would like to share I am interested.

I make my own tallow/lard based hand soaps. I have tried making shave soap but have never been able to create a shave soap with stable lather. I have never added steric acid and I think that is what I have been missing. If anyone has a good recipe they would like to share I am interested.
Very cool. Yeah making shave soap is a bit different. Please head over to the thread named "soap makers and users group" SMAUG. There we discuss soap making, recepies etc.

Top Bottom