What's new

Any Soap Makers?

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The thread title may be self-explanatory...

Are there any folks here who are making their own shave soaps? It'd be nice to connect with that group. I've been making my own for a while and find it a nice occasional activity that gives me a pretty good product.

Put up a hand and let's talk bubbles!

O.H.

The thread title may be self-explanatory...

Are there any folks here who are making their own shave soaps? It'd be nice to connect with that group. I've been making my own for a while and find it a nice occasional activity that gives me a pretty good product.

Put up a hand and let's talk bubbles!

O.H.
Yes sir I make my own shave soap and all the bath soap for the house. I am always up for discussing bubbles. I have actually have been thinking that we should have a shave soap making club/brotherhood here on B&B. What do you think?

I don't, but have tossed around the idea of giving it a shot.

It seems that I prefer unscented or very lightly scented soaps so homemade seems logical to me.
I also prefer lightly scented shave soaps. Actually the scents are one of the largest cost for making soap. Making soap is fun and interesting. Maybe we need to have some sort of a soap making workshop here on B&B.

I am reading the Silver Fox soap blog right now. Any suggestions on places to read up on the process?
I have so many places that I use for soaping instruction. I use a lot of YT. I can certainly give you some really good channels. ellyseveryday is a good channel. She is easy to follow. She does mostly cold process single lye soaps though. I would search for her videos on the hot process as well because you will need that for dual lye shaving soap. She has one shave soap video in there but it is single lye. You also have Uncle Jon and he has a shaving soap video. He is using the hot process which is what I would recommend for shave soap. I think it is important to first at least understand the process of soap making and what happens during saponification. How the different fats/oil add different characteristic to the soap and how you arrive at the recipe.

I have so many places that I use for soaping instruction. I use a lot of YT. I can certainly give you some really good channels. ellyseveryday is a good channel. She is easy to follow. She does mostly cold process single lye soaps though. I would search for her videos on the hot process as well because you will need that for dual lye shaving soap. She has one shave soap video in there but it is single lye. You also have Uncle Jon and he has a shaving soap video. He is using the hot process which is what I would recommend for shave soap. I think it is important to first at least understand the process of soap making and what happens during saponification. How the different fats/oil add different characteristic to the soap and how you arrive at the recipe.
Thanks...will check them out

When I was struggling Snapper, and money was tight.

Use to add small piece of my shower soap to Big Coffee Mug. It was my shave mug.

Today I buy real shave soap because I afford myself for having fund to do so.

I try to by soap in 10-12 dollar range.

Stuff works.

Yup
I make my own shave soap, aftershave balm, shampoo and bath soaps, facial serums.

All unscented!

My face is just too sensitive for scents so I keep my products unscented.
Although I do bring out MWF and Speick for the occasional change up.
It is almost impossible to find hygiene products without a lot of chemicals in them these days. You are almost stuck with making them yourself. I've made lotion, lipbalms etc as well and it is not that difficult. Not that I have really any allergies, but I am a bit careful what I put on my body.

I am even doing the no-poo for my hair and I am going on 4 months or so without shampoo and just water rinsing my hair and I have to say it is great. It is a bit of a adjustment period, but once that was passed it is all good.

I don't make soap - always wanted to try but I fear that it might involve opening up a new domestic front!
That is similar to my first shave soap, but I had a bit of shea butter and castor oil as well and I used dual lye. Well if you are afraid of starting a new domestic front you can always also make some regular fancy bath soap and I think that will take care of itself. 😁

Last edited by a moderator:
It is almost impossible to find hygiene products without a lot of chemicals in them these days. You are almost stuck with making them yourself. I've made lotion, lipbalms etc as well and it is not that difficult. Not that I have really any allergies, but I am a bit careful what I put on my body.

I am even doing the no-poo for my hair and I am going on 4 months or so without shampoo and just water rinsing my hair and I have to say it is great. It is a bit of a adjustment period, but once that was passed it is all good.

Once I finalised my recipe after trial and error, it became fairly easy as I didn't have to think and wonder about the formula.

I read about the no shampoo thing but I occasionally use styling products so it didn't seem practical for me.

I make shaving soap too.
I was wondering there is no B&B group/bh about soap making.
Wet shaving can be a holesome hobby. From shaving to stones (for the straight users) over woodworking (scales, displays) and homemade cosmetics/soaps. Love it.

I have a question addressed to non-EU citizens. Is it allowed for you to make soaps or cosmetics and give it to somebody else? That is an issue within EU, here you a not allowed (officially ;)) to give it away. Maybe a reason, that most of the new soap artisans come from the US. Easier start, when you can make it in your kitchen and don’t need a professional shop floor and lab test prior.

I make shaving soap too.
I was wondering there is no B&B group/bh about soap making.
Wet shaving can be a holesome hobby. From shaving to stones (for the straight users) over woodworking (scales, displays) and homemade cosmetics/soaps. Love it.

I have a question addressed to non-EU citizens. Is it allowed for you to make soaps or cosmetics and give it to somebody else? That is an issue within EU, here you a not allowed (officially ;)) to give it away. Maybe a reason, that most of the new soap artisans come from the US. Easier start, when you can make it in your kitchen and don’t need a professional shop floor and lab test prior.
I'm in the US and giving soap you can just give someone soap that you made. If you are to sell soap you have to list all the ingredients of the soap on the label of it. I do not think you have any other requirement than that.

I do not think you have any other requirement than that.
Regrettably, we do.
You have to make it in professional „rooms“. And you need to make lab test (certification of nonobjection) for every batch you cook. Plus ingredient list (sorted by amount). You can use it by yourself, but not for others.
EU regulations can be a hell of a ride :rolleyes:(I have to deal with CLP and REACh occupationally)

Regrettably, we do.
You have to make it in professional „rooms“. And you need to make lab test (certification of nonobjection) for every batch you cook. Plus ingredient list (sorted by amount). You can use it by yourself, but not for others.
EU regulations can be a hell of a ride :rolleyes:(I have to deal with CLP and REACh occupationally)
That sounds like a pain for an artisan soap maker. I am originally from Sweden so I know the tight reins that EU keep. I actually remember when Sweden joined EU and the vote we had. I had just turned 18 so I voted in that general election. EU has brought some good, but also a lot of headaches.

Top Bottom