What's new

Any Satellite Radio Listeners?

After reading the Zune post I was wondering if anyone else listens to satellite radio. I had XM which I enjoyed, lots of music not much DJ talk. But, now that they have merged there seems to be more DJ talk and less music. When they were begging the government to merge, they said prices would go down. But, low and behold I get an email last week saying my second radio charge is going up $2, imagine that! Very dissappointed may drop the satellite radio and just buy lots of songs from Zune Marketplace. Anyone have the same thought?

I've had XM since 2005, I just let my contract expire. Like you, I was more than a little put off after the merge. It's just not worth the $ to listen to the same jibbajabba that's on the local stations.

I had thought about getting a lifetime membership (around $400 if I remember right), but I'm glad I didn't since they're on the verge of going under.

I've had Sirius for 4 years. I listen to a limited amount of stations. I mainly listen to classic rock, jazz and NPR. I really like it and have renewed my subscription yearly. I understand that they may go bankrupt though.

Last edited:
I have been with Sirius for 3 years or so. I live in South Dallas County near the transmission towers for all the radio and tv stations in town. Before satellite all I got was static, now I get beautiful clear radio. It was also a god-send in West Texas, where towns and non-Christian, non-redneck, non-Mexican radio stations were few and far between.

Sirius listener here. I too was a little miffed to learn that I would have to pay to listen to XM stations. Now it looks like they want to start charging for online listening. So much for lower prices, better service. Regardless, it is pretty inexpensive.

I too was a XM subscriber. I installed my first receiver into my truck, in 2003. I since then had one in my second vehicle, my police unit and one I carry with me in my Cessna 172. A total of four units. When I got the same email, I was very :mad3:. I contacted them and advised that I wanted to cancel two units. When they asked why, I mentioned that for them to get a extra $4 a month, they would lose $14 a month. I advised them that at least two were a real luxury item that I only use occasionally and I could do better without those two. Lucky for me, the system in my unit uses the same docking station in the airplane and I bought a extra for my truck.

I received a year of free Sirius when I bought my Audi, now that the novelty of commercial free, uncensored radio has worn off, I'm not too certain that I'm going to renew once the free year is up. I normally just plug my iPod in and listen to that anyway. All this talk about bankruptcy after the merge was supposedly going to save both XM and Sirius just adds to my doubt.

They deserve to go bankrupt. Every promise they made to their customers about what would happen after the merger was a lie. Prices won't go up. You'll get way more content. Your favorite channels won't disappear. It was all a pack of lies.

Serves them right. Customers have to hold businesses accountable for their actions.

I was a big fan of XM during the free trial we got with my new car. The novelty wore off quickly, however, and I let my subscription lapse. It was better pre-merger. After that point, the were more commercials and more DJ chit chat. I just use my Ipod now and it's even better because I'm the DJ with that.

I had XM for nearly a year but dropped it.

Between the commercials that weren't commercials (ads for different shows on the station), the constant talk from DJs and the fact that all the stations I listened to eventually started not only playing the same music but started playing music that barely fit into their categories I didn't think it was worth the money.

Now I just download a bunch of podcasts and listen to those while I drive to work and back. If you're looking for something to listen to over the net, I highly recommend a premium subscription at Digitally Imported.

I've been listening to Slacker in my Blackberry. It is also available for the I-phone. I love it and it's free free free! For a subscription you can get more options, but for me the FREE version is excellent. You can buy their player if you don't have a blackberry or I-phone.

I've been listening to Sirius for about 2 years, and I love it. Most of the DJs are musicians or producers, and their chitchat/trivia can be really interesting.

I took a couple years and did some pretty serious motorcycle touring around the US and Canada. The majority of riding was done on my own. For the time I was doing this I had XM and it was fantastic. No matter where I went, I had constant reception of my favorite XM stations. I bought the mount for my home stereo thinking I'd use it there, and only did a handful of times.

What I discovered is when I'm driving, music is just something going on in the background to avoid the silence. When I'm at home, I'd much prefer something I select that a random song list.

When I sold my bike, I canceled my subscription and haven't missed it a bit.

Had Sirius for a year, then cancelled. They say no ads, and while technically no lie, lots of talk between songs, ads for their own shows on different channels, etc. Why would I pay for that? I would pay for music, 100% music. I don't need a dj since the song title and artist will be on my display.

I have XM and I am sick of it since the merger. My favorite channel was MLB on XM and they have absolutely ruined it. They ran off Mark Patrick. They split up Kevin Kennedy and Rob Dibble. Now, it is just like all other sports talk radio - crappy! :mad3:

They seem to be about to go bankrupt anyway.

Tim

XM in the car since 2006 and Sirius at home through Dish Network since 2008. Love them both. I think I prefer Sirius for the music lineup, but being an MLB fan, love getting every game in the car. I don't plan on dropping either any time soon.

I had a free 6 month trial of Sirius when I bought my mustang, and I loved it when I had it. When the contract was up, I didn't bother renewing though, as I don't drive very much (3 years and only 12k on the car). Simply wasn't worth the money...

Now that I don't use it anymore, that huge ugly black bump of an antenna is starting to annoy me though. I've even considered buying a new trunk lid to get rid of it. :rolleyes:

They deserve to go bankrupt. Every promise they made to their customers about what would happen after the merger was a lie. Prices won't go up. You'll get way more content. Your favorite channels won't disappear. It was all a pack of lies.

Serves them right. Customers have to hold businesses accountable for their actions.

While I completely agree with you in principle, the fact is that Sirius/XM won't really be harmed directly by this; only their creditors will get the shaft (and consumers, of course).

Top Bottom