What's new

Any Love For Colonel Conk?

The only reason I'm even using it is because I'm tired of looking at the un-used puck. I have been mixing it with Arko cream, and now Proraso green cream and I'm getting great lather and solid shaves. Although I won't be buying any more of this soap, it does work ok.

The only reason I'm even using it is because I'm tired of looking at the un-used puck. I have been mixing it with Arko cream, and now Proraso green cream and I'm getting great lather and solid shaves. Although I won't be buying any more of this soap, it does work ok.

I imagine it goes well with a super lather since it's glycerin based.

I've used the Santa Fe Cedar & currently am working on a puck of Bay Rum. Both work well for me, I like the scents of both. Just finished a tub of Proraso Red and wanted something different. The lather(for me) is thinner, provides a good glide, rinses clean, and I like the post shave feel. YMMV I guess.

I've used the Santa Fe Cedar & currently am working on a puck of Bay Rum. Both work well for me, I like the scents of both. Just finished a tub of Proraso Red and wanted something different. The lather(for me) is thinner, provides a good glide, rinses clean, and I like the post shave feel. YMMV I guess.

I think CC used to be a lot more popular than it is now. Since the explosion in artisan soaps there are now a lot more options at the lower price points and M&P based soaps have fallen out of favour but not necessarily because they are poor performers, although some of them are, there are also many great M&P soaps like Mama Bear and Elvado.

I imagine it goes well with a super lather since it's glycerin based.

It really does work, but I'm looking forward to getting back to good old Arko. The whole mixing thing is really working out, especially when its hot out, and I want the slickness of a soap with a touch of menthol in my lather.

I have been doing some more experimenting with my Col. Conk. It likes a lot of water. I let the soap soak just covered by a thin layer of water while I am showering, then dump the water (a tablespoon or more) and start lathering with my presoaked brush which hasn't been shaken out. Sometimes I add more water. At some point, the whole thing comes together and lather starts forming up and becomes quite nice. It takes a good solid couple minutes. The shave seems good. The lather hangs around. After the second pass, I lather it some more and it keeps producing.

If this is just an OK soap, I can't wait to try some good soap.

I have been doing some more experimenting with my Col. Conk. It likes a lot of water. I let the soap soak just covered by a thin layer of water while I am showering, then dump the water (a tablespoon or more) and start lathering with my presoaked brush which hasn't been shaken out. Sometimes I add more water. At some point, the whole thing comes together and lather starts forming up and becomes quite nice. It takes a good solid couple minutes. The shave seems good. The lather hangs around. After the second pass, I lather it some more and it keeps producing.

If this is just an OK soap, I can't wait to try some good soap.

Glad you were able to get great results and yes, it's an average soap and that's actually good. When you consider what soaps and creams are just average performers you realize how lucky we are.

All this talk of the Conk makes me want to try it again. Last time I tried it I gave it horrible reviews. This time I will load it like crazy and scuttle lather it. I don't know how you all talk me into these things....

All this talk of the Conk makes me want to try it again. Last time I tried it I gave it horrible reviews. This time I will load it like crazy and scuttle lather it. I don't know how you all talk me into these things....

We are enablers! :lol: I would use only tap hot water though until you get familiar with the lather since hot water breaks down the lather faster.

I have found it to be much better with a lot of water. When I was lathering the paste and gradually adding water to make a foam, it wasn't nearly as slick. Now, I have sort of reversed that process. I work the paste into the water.

I will try to record a video of it next time I shave. Needless to say, I am a sourly proficient videographer, so you should all get a good laugh at my expense. [emoji15] [emoji12] [emoji3]

+1. Well, "not too bad..." is accurate IME. The problem is that there are a ton of terrific options!

I have the Almond and haven't used it for some time. What I did was apply a very light Nivea sensitive gel
and then brushed on the soap over it. "Bam" kicked it up a notch. It worked a nice lather.

It actually was my first soap.

There is much better soap for lather and post-shave feel but I really like the bay rum smell. When I am done with it it won't come back. Way too much stuff to try to use a soap that is just meh!

Marc

Top Bottom