What's new

Any fans of Shark stainless blades?

I am not a fan of either Shark Super Chrome or Super Stainless.Neither are sharp enough for my beard. However, I have found the new Shark Platinum blades to be pretty good. They are much sharper and smoother than the other two blades. Even the Platinum blades are not the sharpest blades available, but at least they are sharp enough where they should work for most folks. Thus, if you like Shark blades, I suggest you try the Shark Platinums.

Thus, if you like Shark blades, I suggest you try the Shark Platinums.
I like Shark blades, but Platinums are too sharp for me I think :blink:

I hate almost all platinum coated blades, they leave my face looking like a tomato, and they cut more skin than hair, which always amazes me.

I hate almost all platinum coated blades, they leave my face looking like a tomato, and they cut more skin than hair, which always amazes me.

Cuts, nicks and weepers are generally an issue with technique rather than blades. That is especially likely if you are having the issue with several types of platinum blades. What often happens is that people who use less-sharp blades like Derby Extra, Shark Super Chrome and Shark Super Stainless compensate for the lack of sharpness by adding pressure to their shave stroke. When they try a sharper blade, the extra pressure is no longer needed and they nick themselves. Only use enough pressure to control the movement of your razor across your skin. Hold your razor with only enough pressure to prevent dropping it.

There are certainly some very sharp platinum coated blades like BIC Chrome Platinum, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black, and Personna Platinum Chrome (Israeli Reds). However, Astra Superior Platinum and Treet Platinum are not nearly as sharp.

I have a tough beard and sensitive skin. I rarely get any nicks or weepers, but I shave with minimal pressure and let the razor and blade do the job they were designed to do. Also, proper beard preparation and using a high-quality lather helps.

I've been a Shark user for going on 3yrs now because they just seem to perform at a level that some cannot for me... I started with the Super Stainless for over a year and then found the Super Chrome gave me a more comfortable shave overall and have been using those almost exclusively over the last couple years. I have tried the Platinum and wasn't a fan so I PIF'd most of what I had on hand. The shaved very much like a Feather and GSB for me which wasn't very good, see below!!

That all being said and knowing 1st hand this hobby is very much a YMMV thing I just love it when someone comes into a blade thread and uses the line, it must be a problem with your technique that you are experiencing problems with the likes of "supposed" sharper blades!! I have tried quite a few different brands of blades, both when I was first starting out and here in the past year or so, and I can vouch personally that just the same as it was in the beginning for me most of the sharper blades are very prone to tugging and skipping during my shaves. I've been doing this long enough that I think I know, for me, when a blade is cutting and when its tugging or skipping!! A few of those blades are Feather, Kai, GSB, Gillette Platinum, 7 O'Clock Black / Yellow and both Personna's... A few blades that have worked pretty good for me has been obviously the Shark's I mentioned above but also Lord SS and Chromes which should be no surprise but also Astra SP, Nacet, Sputnik, Polsilver, and Voskhod.

I have been trying out some Silver Star blades here recently because they get some very positive feedback and they are also part of the Lord line up but just after 3 shaves so far I can tell I like the blade but it hasn't given my the 24-28 hr BBS shave that I normally get from the Shark Chromes!! I am only 1 blades and 3 shaves in so far so its early but I have 4 more blades to go and 5-6 shaves per blades so it'll be a while because I only shave every other day. I will say the Silver Star is smooth from the 1st shave where the Shark's can be a little more aggressive for shaves 1 & 2 but they are usually very good up to 6 shaves as that is the most I will use a blade for. I have some Nacet's to revisit as well in the near future as I do remember them being pretty good for me but its been a while since using one.

I like the Shark blades, too, and the Stainless in particular. My face and their Chrome blade do NOT agree!! That said, I have to try each blade type because I've found that some Platinums from a manufacturer work better than their Stainless, and vice versa (Dorco and Derby are good examples of this). Gillette Platinum Plus works better for me and last longer than the regular Gillette Platinums (however, the Gillette PP's are no longer made and I only have a few left 🥺). I love trying blades and sometime forget which one works and which one doesn't. but I'm quickly reminded!!

Tried a Shark Super Stainless for the first time today. New to DE shaving. Used it in a Muhle R89. The performance was incredible! So far I've used Derby's, Bic Chrome Platinum, Dovo Super Platinum. Muhle RasurKultur. My face prefered this over all those, but the Bic was a close second.

Shark blades are in my rotation - Super Stainless, Super Chrome and Platinum all work good for me.
For me the Platinums are the sharpest of the three.
I get smooth, comfortable shaves and they are about $.06 -$.07 apiece- what's not to like.

I'm testing a Shark SS right now.

After reading a few other reviews about roughness on the first use, I chose a mild razor (Maggard V3), just in case. My fears were realized when the blade felt dull and rough on the first stroke of my WTG pass. The blade skipped a bit, plus there was little audible feedback. It was as if it wasn't cutting the stubble. However, I soldiered on and the blade seemed to smooth out and the efficiency went up. The ATG and XTG passes were much smoother than the WTG pass and the sensation of roughness eventually went away.

The second use was with a Futur clone. To combat the sensation of dullness, I started with setting 6 and was rewarded with a very smooth, comfortable WTG pass. It felt much sharper than previously. I used setting 4 for the ATG pass and got one minor nick on my chin. Otherwise, the shave was reasonably comfortable, so far. Then, I finished up on setting 4 for the XTG pass. It was also quite smooth. Overall, a pretty good shave!

Now, the question is longevity. We shall see how many decent shaves it can provide.
Glad I saw your reply. I find Sharks rough but wondered if I could do anything to help that. After all, so many folks love them.

I also have a Futur knock off & will try your method when I next load a Shark.

Thank you!

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Last time I checked there were lots of fans of the Shark Super Stainless here on the board. Not my favorite blade of all the Lord models, but I can get a good shave with them. Just need to use thicker and more protective creams. My preference is for the Shark Super Chrome. Not as sharp as the Stainless, but in aggressive razors a get a nice BBS. YMMV.
I have one blade of the new Shark Platinums. Need to try it soon.
I'd like to know what you think of the new Shark Platinums. I liked them so much that I bought a ridiculous amount of them. I did the same with Gillette Platinum and New Lord Platinum. I won't say how many I bought, that is embarrassing. I will say it's enough to last me a millennium or two. They work well in Fatips. :cuppa:

Last edited:
Glad I saw your reply. I find Sharks rough but wondered if I could do anything to help that. After all, so many folks love them.

I also have a Futur knock off & will try your method when I next load a Shark.

Thank you!
I use a Rockwell 2C razor with plate 3 with the Sharks and have very enjoyable shaves.

I'd like to know what you think of the new Shark Platinums. I liked them so much that I bought a ridiculous amount of them. I did the same with Gillette Platinum and New Lord Platinum. I won't say how many I bought, that is embarrassing. I will say it's enough to last me a millennium or two. They work well in Fatips. :cuppa:
I have all those blades too and like them very much. Not many blades I do not care for, Feather and Kai come to mind. Not sure what it is with those blades.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I have all those blades too and like them very much. Not many blades I do not care for, Feather and Kai come to mind. Not sure what it is with those blades.
I've never tried Kai. I find Feathers to be smooth but too sharp for everyday use. I don't care for Voskhod, to put it mildly. I'm pretty sure it is that they are carbon.

Well I got many Shark SH.25 razors that come with two dispensers of Shark Platinum and have tried them in a few razors. I must say this is one of the worst blades for me because it gave me weepers in every razor. So I will stick to the other two models.

There is nothing embarraяsing in the quantity of blades you decided to buy. I have stated a few times how many I have overall and I am not embarrassed. Not on this forum.

Last edited:
Then they leave burrs on them. Seriously, I think they are the devil's blade. I pif-ed the lot of them to someone I didn't like, then sat back quite satisfied.
Voskhods are a very mild blade. Never noticed burrs. Need very aggressive razors for me to get a BBS. In the Progress @5 I get wonderful shaves. You never know, they might work well for the person you gave them to.

Have been an avid shark fan since I tried them in a sample pack! Even started a Shark blade group called SoS in the clubs and brotherhood sub forum.

I am a month into my DE wet shaving journey and have been test driving different blades from a variety pack. Some have given exceptional shaves, others decent, and some mediocre. However, none have been so bad as the Shark Super Chrome I tried the other day.

Just like all of my shaves, using a Merkur 34c, Stirling shave soap face lathered with synthetic knot, with 3 passes.

This blade tore my face up something fierce. I may get a slight nick or weeper every now and then, but the SSC blade probably gave me more than the total of all previous shaves and a nick so bad that I had to break out the styptic pencil and really lay into it to stop the bleeding, even after running alum block all over (boy, that was fun). I had to use 2 applications of Cremo aftershave balm, and then use Nivea a bit later as well to try to stop the irritation and burn which was still prevalent the next day. This blade was immediately tossed. I know that sometimes a bum blade might make it through, but when one out of a 5 pack (and the first one even) is bad, that is a 20% failure rate from a QC standpoint.

It was so traumatic, that I wasn't sure if I should even try the Shark Super Stainless blade that was also in the sampler, but, with a lot of trepidation, I loaded one today and gave it a go. And, surprisingly, it was a rather good shave. DFS, BBS on cheeks, and no bleeding or irritation. It will be interesting to see how many comfortable/smooth shaves this blade will provide.

So, for me, Shark Super Chrome - NO! Shark Super Stainless - yes, for now.

Top Bottom