What's new

Any fans of Shark stainless blades?

So, for me, Shark Super Chrome - NO! Shark Super Stainless - yes, for now.
Ok, so I have gone on to two more shaves with the SSS blade (total of 3 shaves) and found this to be a somewhat strange blade. Same prep, soap, razor, 3 passes (XTG, XTG, ATG, with minor touch-ups - WTG does nothing with my stubble) ...

Second shave was not very close. Even with some touch-ups the quality of shave went from my original DFS with BBS on cheeks to barely CCS on face but mostly SAS. There was no irritation or bleeding, so that was a plus. I was rather disappointed, but figured I would give it one more try before making a final determination.

Third shave was surprisingly better, with caveats - 3 passes produced a CCS/SAS like the second time. However, I decided to do many (many!) touch-ups, and based on time and effort, I would have to almost say this added a fourth pass. But, when done, I was back to DFS shave with mostly CCS on neck but still some trouble areas on neck that even attacking it from multiple directions many times just couldn't mow down. I gave up trying as I didn't want to cause major irritation or worse. However, I must admit that even with all of the passes and touch-ups, there was no irritation nor nicks. Good to know that this blade is forgiving.

So, where does that leave me regarding Shark Super Stainless? I would prefer a blade that can give three DFS/CCS shaves on a 3-pass with minor touch-ups. That being said, knowing that I can achieve such a shave with this blade, just needing a bit more work at it, does make this blade usable. It would not be a main "go-to" blade, but it can have a place in rotation just to keep things interesting (and assuming I have extra time for the "fourth" pass).

I like them but have observed a fair amount of people state Shark Stainless or Chrome just do not work for them. I agree that these two Shark blades are sharpened to a less degree than most competing brands, so if you need raw cutting ability to a high degree, these are not meant for you. That doesn't mean Sharks can't work for many others like me.

I've never tried Kai. I find Feathers to be smooth but too sharp for everyday use. I don't care for Voskhod, to put it mildly. I'm pretty sure it is that they are carbon.
I could happily shave with only Feathers. They work in all of my razors.

In the two razors that I used Vokshods in, they were tuggy as hell.

I have had a good experience with Shark Platinums. They are my favorite Lord blade.

I purchased 100 Shark Super Chromes maybe 12 years ago or so. Still have most of those. I used one this morning for "Shave One" of my intention to do 15 shaves with one razor. My razor of choice to start this off was the Vikings Blade Emperor. I'll use the Shark until it becomes unusable, then try the remainder of the 15 shaves with some other blade(s).

Today's shave with the Emperor/Shark combo was close but not smooth and comfortable. I've put on alum, witch hazel (twice), and Clubman Bay Rum, but over an hour after the shave my face and neck feel like a mild sunburn. I should've skipped the AS and rubbed on some Afta lotion instead.

Shark Stainless blades can be purchased on Amazon for 100/$7.99, shipped free if you have Prime. That's 8 cents a blade. What's the point of trying to use them 10-15 times? No blade will last that long unless you have a really fine beard. Use them for a few shaves and then toss them.

I use blades for four shaves. No sense in having a lousy shave because I tried to milk them too long.

I previously posted that I'm not a huge fan, but I recently tried a Shark in my Futur clone, and I get quite a different result than before. I'm on the bandwagon (in the right circumstances, I guess)!

Shark Stainless blades can be purchased on Amazon for 100/$7.99, shipped free if you have Prime. That's 8 cents a blade. What's the point of trying to use them 10-15 times? No blade will last that long unless you have a really fine beard. Use them for a few shaves and then toss them.

I use blades for four shaves. No sense in having a lousy shave because I tried to milk them too long.
Couldn't agree more on all counts. 🍻
I'm a "three shaves and you're out" guy. They're cheap. And, as you said, Shark Super Stainless blades are available for an excellent price and I happen to think they're really good for the money.

Top Bottom