What's new

Any birders?

Right now I am listening to HUNDREDS of sulphur crested cockatoos off in the distance. Sounds like something from a horror film. Some Hollywood type needs to record it.
We have an African Gray parrot and have to take her to get her nails trimmed at a bird store. When we are in there it’s crazy loud and the Cockatoos seem to lead the noise. I am just curious if people catch them and keep them as pets.

I used to have a Yellow-naped Amazon parrot. :)
As I type this our Gray is whistling for attention. Our old neighbors used to have a St Bernard that spent a lot of time outside. Our Gray picked up that deep woof and would bark when she wanted attention. The next neighbors had two dachshunds, when she picked that barking up she got her own room.

Our granddaughter was by herself just looking at her and she said, “Hey you” all we heard were little feet running down the steps. It totally freaked her out.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
As I type this our Gray is whistling for attention. Our old neighbors used to have a St Bernard that spent a lot of time outside. Our Gray picked up that deep woof and would bark when she wanted attention. The next neighbors had two dachshunds, when she picked that barking up she got her own room.

Our granddaughter was by herself just looking at her and she said, “Hey you” all we heard were little feet running down the steps. It totally freaked her out.
Buddy, would say "yummy" "yummy" yummy" every time I would open the refrigerator door. It was funny. 🦜

Buddy, would say "yummy" "yummy" yummy" every time I would open the refrigerator door. It was funny. 🦜
We have had her for 20 plus year and was supposed to go with the kids when they moved out. That didn’t happen. She tells my wife she loves her so I don’t think she is going anywhere.

Legion

Staff member
We have an African Gray parrot and have to take her to get her nails trimmed at a bird store. When we are in there it’s crazy loud and the Cockatoos seem to lead the noise. I am just curious if people catch them and keep them as pets.
I think the ones people have as pets are breed in captivity, rather than caught from the wild. I mean, I could walk out and throw a net over one, but I don’t think it would be too happy about it.

Legion

Staff member

I was cycling to work through a park one day, and a cockatoo flew over me and said “hello”. Must have escaped from somewhere. Freaked me out.

I was cycling to work through a park one day, and a cockatoo flew over me and said “hello”. Must have escaped from somewhere. Freaked me out.
It’s a bit unnerving at time when you aren’t expecting them to talk. One day we were sitting in the house and I kept hearing the door open. It was the sound of the door going over the threshold and I kept going to check on it, I thought I was losing my mind. My son finally figured it out , it was the parrot. Her favorite is the sound of drywall mudding. She loves that sound of the knife scraping against the pan. She will mud for days after I do a project.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
😲 Well, the bears are out of hibernation, and hungry.

🤔 As it becomes light this morning, I go "Where's my birdfeeder..."?

Gone with it: a broken 2x2 that had a suet feeder chained to it... And, for good measure, a decorative planter that was on that same corner.

Mrs AA was nonchalant. "Yeah, I heard something. Thought it was a coyote."

If it didn't come on our porch, it would have had to stretch 10-12'... If it did, another 6'. Yikes.

AA

😲 Well, the bears are out of hibernation, and hungry.

🤔 As it becomes light this morning, I go "Where's my birdfeeder..."?

Gone with it: a broken 2x2 that had a suet feeder chained to it... And, for good measure, a decorative planter that was on that same corner.

Mrs AA was nonchalant. "Yeah, I heard something. Thought it was a coyote."

If it didn't come on our porch, it would have had to stretch 10-12'... If it did, another 6'. Yikes.

AA
Wow. Do you keep a gun handy? My wife would lose her mind.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Wow. Do you keep a gun handy? My wife would lose her mind.
Yes, and no-no-no. 🤔 Unless the bear has actually entered the living room, you can't shoot it. Bears have more rights than residents here. 🤨 I heard they're even giving them driver's licenses. No shoot.

Seriously, though three dogs I know of have been killed, not interested in shooting one. A guy did, it ran into another property and died. That guy called Ranger Rick, and the shooter was actually duly arrested. ☹️ I just yell at them.

AA

Top Bottom