What's new

Any birders?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I have a variety of birds especially now with two feet of snow on the ground. I feed peanuts, sunflower and safflower. Also suet this time of year. Also buy "cheap seed" at the grocery store to throw on the ground. The Junko's are greatful and it helps keep sparrows off the more expensive feed.
Smart idea about the "Junko's" my friend!

We've been feeding our son's chickens fatty stuff in this wicked cold.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I love to photograph the wading birds here in Florida. At home, we have two of the round, "squirrel-proof" feeders with the Cardinal ring.... and we have two hummingbird feeders we used to put out... Now, we have two bottle brush trees they just love.

Birds are fun to watch. If you see the same ones over and over, you can sort of get a feel for their personalities. At the feeders, there certainly is a ranking. The woodpeckers (we have 3 species that show up at our feeders) rule... followed by the occasional blue jay that stops by now and then. We have a wooded area, around 100 yards deep, off our backyard... It's a strip of county land that runs for miles.... so we have lots of birds who can safely nest there and some of them build nests in the trees in our yard and the neighbors' yards.

FarmerTan

I get lots of Quail, Humming Birds, Sparrows, Cactus When’s, and Woodpeckers, and Owls in back yard.

Why I do not know, but my Cactus must produce food and cover.
I bet that is something to see! Up here in my little bit of hillbilly heaven in Michigan I see lots of birds of prey in the winter.

The smart birds all fly south!

Safflower seed tends to be disliked by nuisance birds,
and liked by the more attractive song birds.
I won't change the menu because of them. Nasty things, those starlings. Not the best thing to get from Europe.

Neither were the Bay City Rollers, but that's probably a topic for another thread...:a5:

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Raccoon 🤔 or a really tall bear took our bird's $ seed block last night (sigh). Which is why my "handful of seed at a time" platform feeder was the way to go. I'll make another... Had a video of a bear pulling down the other, satisfying he got almost nothing. Another video last week had a nice red fox, looking forlornly up at the suet block... Go catch rodentia, dude.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🧐 This hairy hobo came for breakfast. Unfortunately, he thinks "birdfeeder" is a dispenser of birds for him to eat. 😉 And he ain't missing many meals.

IMG_20240307_063612_edit_1709816640030-1.jpg

He's the neighbors' cat and we love him, a magnificent 25-pounder. He is on our payroll, though. He gets wet food 2x day in exchange for rodent patrol. 😏 Now, it's true he's never caught one... Bless his heart, he tries.

AA

Last edited:
We have a pair of Bald Eagles close to us that we check out. I would like to have a bird feeder but our neighbor has outside cats that kill everything. We used to have birds, rabbits and chipmunks. All have moved on due to the cats. I really miss seeing Cardinals, Robins, Blue Jays and Finches.

FarmerTan

We have a pair of Bald Eagles close to us that we check out. I would like to have a bird feeder but our neighbor has outside cats that kill everything. We used to have birds, rabbits and chipmunks. All have moved on due to the cats. I really miss seeing Cardinals, Robins, Blue Jays and Finches.
A friend a few miles (the way a bird flies) from me drags road kill into his yard for the Bald Eagles to have a meal. Very helpful in the winter. He lives next to a national game preserve. He has been told that it's "impossible" for him to have black bears in his backyard by the DNR! I suppose that the bears didn't check in with the rangers on the days he has caught them on his trail cams!

Where else are the critters gonna live if we keep encroaching on their preferred real estate?!

A friend a few miles (the way a bird flies) from me drags road kill into his yard for the Bald Eagles to have a meal. Very helpful in the winter. He lives next to a national game preserve. He has been told that it's "impossible" for him to have black bears in his backyard by the DNR! I suppose that the bears didn't check in with the rangers on the days he has caught them on his trail cams!

Where else are the critters gonna live if we keep encroaching on their preferred real estate?!

In New York, the Department Of Environmental Conservation insists that
there are no wild cougars in New York, whenever somebody reports a sighting.

Then when you ask them if it's Ok to shoot it, they say No.

FarmerTan

In New York, the Department Of Environmental Conservation insists that
there are no wild cougars in New York, whenever somebody reports a sighting.

Then when you ask them if it's Ok to shoot it, they say No.
They work for the government, so they must be korreck. In both of your scenarios!

Ad Astra

The Instigator
😉 There's room for both cats and birds out there. In fact, the last killing involved a hawk. Feathers everywhere, bird got toted off and et. Fatboy there is only a danger to his dinner bowl. 🐱

😏 Like I say when I see a car-squished house-eater (squirrel), they'll make more. 🥸 It is inspirational to see one flying away with a hawk, though.

AA

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I wasn’t able to get a good shot, but for three days this week there was a pear tree full of hundreds of small green parakeets on our walk to the kids school. Making an awful racket as they demolished all the pears. My kid called it “greenie pear party”.

FarmerTan

I wasn’t able to get a good shot, but for three days this week there was a pear tree full of hundreds of small green parakeets on our walk to the kids school. Making an awful racket as they demolished all the pears. My kid called it “greenie pear party”.
Not laffin' at your predicament, just your kid's excellent use of the English language!

FarmerTan

I have a FAMILY, extended one, of Titmouse (or is it Titmicesssssss?) that live in my Bradford Pear tree in the front yard.

My cats are lazy as pet coons.

They eat Meow Mix.

I should clarify: they eat everything but the Red Fish pieces.

You'd think that they, being Christian Cats, are leaving the Red Fish for the Titmicesssssss.

You'd be wrong.

The Titmicesssssss swoop in, right in front of my wunnerful kats, and eat out of the cat's bowl!

I've been reading the lips of the cats AND the beaks of the Titmicesssssss. From what I have seen, it appears that the Titmicesssssss have learned (from a migratory Kanadian Goose Stepper) that those wiley Red Chinese have poisoned the Red Fish in Meow Mix in a grand scheme to poison poor elderly Uhmerkins that can't afford to eat people food! True story doggone.

This has to be true, as just the other day my old "used to be a Tom Cat" (he still holds a grudge against me for that) killed a field mouse and ate it's branes. He left me a note with the carcass. Among other things he told me that if I don't start picking out the Red Fish from his food before I serve it, then I'm next. IF the Titmicesssssss don't peck my eyes out first! That Kat has issues.

Not the best picture, but if you look closely you can see a head. It’s a restricted area and we respect that so this is about as good as it gets.
IMG_4633.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
Right now I am listening to HUNDREDS of sulphur crested cockatoos off in the distance. Sounds like something from a horror film. Some Hollywood type needs to record it.

Top Bottom