What's new

Another newbie 1st shavette shave

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Uno momento per favor (waitaminnit). Fits in your hand? I always assumed your balsa strop was strop length. What are your optimum dimensions?

Typically a balsa strop is 3" x 12", and I use a 3/4" acrylic plate and 1/4" thick balsa glued to it, then lapped and treated with the diamond paste. See The Method for more details, without which you probably would not be impressed with your results.

It is a good question to ask but TBH I always forget to ask. But when retouching a razor that you received shave ready and that initially shaved good but that has gotten a bit dull through normal use, after about 40 or 50 laps on 1u film or 12k synthetic stone, if you don't see a pretty good edge that will treetop at least 1 or 2 hairs at 1/4", very likely that is what it is. You are just polishing the shoulder of the bevel and not the whole bevel out to the edge, because without tape, your spine is lower than with tape. But after you have honed a few razors you will probably, like me, almost automatically set the bevel and hone it yourself from scratch. You will prefer your own edge. So, you will barely notice the previous taped honing. If you, like me, use the burr method of setting the bevel, then when you got a burr on each side in turn, you know you have a good bevel set by you, no matter how the last guy honed it. With your bevel established, it is easy street, just progressively polish the bevel, don't use lots of pressure and make a fin edge, and bobs yer uncle.

Excellent and thank you for explaining. I used the "burr method" on the one I did Saturday. I am using it again to day.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I continue to learn and am thankful for all of those who are willing to be patient and help a newbie out. I read about twice as much as I spend time honing, I hone twice as much as I strop, and I shave about half as much as I strop. Then I go back to research. I feel like others here get much better results than me and faster, but I'll just strike that up to being a slow learner. I have benefited from some very kind folks in this forum. Thanks.

D32E2614-3A2F-44E1-B59F-7C7FB58B07BB.gif

I read about twice as much as I spend time honing, I hone twice as much as I strop, and I shave about half as much as I strop. Then I go back to research.

Lol, just made me think of that, I don’t know why. :001_tongu

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Some guys pick things up quickly, others take a bit longer. One day it will all just “click” and you will find “your” way.
I struggled for a while, long while actually, but I didn’t have any instructions as Slash has laid out so well. I watched videos and read forum posts and asked lots of questions. I also made the mistake of trying to learn on a Coticule and various other naturals, not that it can’t be done, but I’ve made probably every mistake possible. After loads of practice, I am confident in saying I’m capable of producing exceptional edges from my stones. I will continue to learn and definitely try to be more relaxed and open minded about every method. I’ve ruffled @steveclarkus and @Twelvefret feathers a few times. I don’t do it to be an ***, I just get passionate about things and sometimes the blinders go on.
Always learn, ask questions, push your limits and fail. Don’t ever be afraid to fail, it’s those failures thru pushing yourself that will allow you to learn and become better and better.

Glad to hear things are going well for you. Some guys pick things up quickly, others take a bit longer. One day it will all just “click” and you will find “your” way.
I struggled for a while, long while actually, but I didn’t have any instructions as Slash has laid out so well. I watched videos and read forum posts and asked lots of questions. I also made the mistake of trying to learn on a Coticule and various other naturals, not that it can’t be done, but I’ve made probably every mistake possible. After loads of practice, I am confident in saying I’m capable of producing exceptional edges from my stones. I will continue to learn and definitely try to be more relaxed and open minded about every method. I’ve ruffled @steveclarkus and @Twelvefret feathers a few times. I don’t do it to be an ***, I just get passionate about things and sometimes the blinders go on.
Always learn, ask questions, push your limits and fail. Don’t ever be afraid to fail, it’s those failures thru pushing yourself that will allow you to learn and become better and better.

We are good brother. I've been wanting a stone and slurry stone for a while and have an Escher coming from Canada next week. I wanted one for touch up on previously honed razors. I'll continue to use the films using the burr method.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Well Rugger007, I have been failing a bunch, with a few successes in between. I am in for the long game though.
I aim to hit 100 shaves before the new year. I only shave every 2-3 days so it has taken a while. I just took out an old Boker that I got from a friendly member here and tried some lapping and stropping. It has made me realize I should give up on the Gold Dollars until I know more. With the Boker, I know the bevel was set, and I played around using the film and and then did a lot of slow stropping, and it shaved really well. There are still some areas that I only feel good about going WTG because I feel like I get a catchy blade at some angles. Also feel a lot better with my left hand, (I'm right handed) and the muscle memory is starting to feel normal. As I have said earlier, I feel like a slow learner, but I am coming around. I work on no pressure, just removing lather, and then doing another couple of passes to clean it all up.
I have picked up a few other razors from the BST, and have been really happy with the results. It works a lot better to use proper razors that I believe in rather than something I mess around with. I have also picked up a small coticule, but I am going to wait on gaining some more knowledge before I use it.

Man when I first started with a shavette a couple years back I cut my face to pieces the first few shaves, i see why people say go for an SR first. I do like a shavette but once you’ve used a quality German blade, especially a hollow or extra hollow grind it cuts through several days growth like a shavette but less irritating.

Play about with the GD and hone it and try different techniques and see how you can make it work for you .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom