What's new

Another Batch of Custom Straight Razors in the Works

Here are a couple more shots of mostly-finished scales. I can't capture the glass-like finish on the maple burl. It's one of those things that needs a better photographer or actually have them in your mitts to fully appreciate the depth of the shine.

full

full

full

And these are shots of tamboti wood scales sanded down to 1,500 grit and finished with several coats of gloss wipe-on poly.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW!

Your work is absolutely breathtaking!

If you have a set of the redwood scales left over, want to sell them so I can re-scale my wapienica with class?

lol.

seriously though, simply gorgeous!

cheers,

-- michael

Awesome wood works! What are they finished in?

Thanks,
Richard
Thanks for asking, Richard. I finished them in my workshop here in California. Late in the evening, if I remember correctly... :lol:

Sorry, I can't resist being a smarta$$ sometimes.

If you, by some chance, meant how I arrived at the finish, then there is a short sentence right after the third pic in post #122 that may cover your question. For reals, as the inmates would say...

Thanks for asking, Richard. I finished them in my workshop here in California. Late in the evening, if I remember correctly... :lol:

If you, by some chance, meant how I arrived at the finish, then there is a short sentence right after the third pic in post #122 that may cover your question. For reals, as the inmates would say...

He is not only a craftsman but is also a comedian. :lol::lol::lol: I wonder if the inmates knew how much of an effect they had on you.

Oh........And these are shots of tamboti wood scales sanded down to 1,500 grit and finished with several coats of gloss wipe-on poly.

That covers the tamboti. Is the burl finished with the same stuff? If the wipe on is sanded and sanded the grain will fill in. I have not really seen CA finishes before so I am thinking the burl is a CA finish but it may be so shiny because of the extremely tight grain. Just curious. Oh this is awesome!:lol:

Take Care,
Richard

That covers the tamboti. Is the burl finished with the same stuff? If the wipe on is sanded and sanded the grain will fill in. I have not really seen CA finishes before so I am thinking the burl is a CA finish but it may be so shiny because of the extremely tight grain. Just curious. Oh this is awesome!:lol:

Take Care,
Richard
The maple burl has about 8 coats of CA on them, sanded to 1,200 and buffed out to a glass finish. CA is super glue. I use the very thin stuff. The CA that you find in the stores is too thick and creates a lot of extra work.

You can find the thin stuff at on-line knife supply companies. There is some stuff that is called Mirror Coat that also works ok, too. 3M, if I remember correctly. I use it more and more lately because I have developed an intolerance to the fumes of CA. (Yes, I wear a respirator.) Mirror Coat, however, needs to be given a lot more attention and a very thin preliminary coat needs to be applied to cut down on some of the air bubbles generated from mixing the two-part coating. Some of the more pourous woods also contribute air bubbles to the fray, so in those cases, it needs to be sealed. It is a several day process to do it right. If I could figure out how to make a vacuum chamber to handle the air bubbles, I'd be uptown. Where's Vlad when I need him... :smile:

Here is the first blade of the current batch that is finished. Nineteen to go for this round. While Joel was visiting me this past weekend, he talked me into making a blade with a mirror finish. He says a lot of the boys like them. I know I'm a little tetched as I don't like them at all. But here it is in all its shiny-ness. As a side note, this razor actually became shave ready just by buffing alone and without a single stroke on a stone. the blade formed a perfect saber grind at the cutting edge.

full

full

full

full

full

Here is the way I will work my custom order list this time around. I ordinarily make the razors in batches rather than individually. It seems to be the only way I can stay interested in making them at all. I will have 20 razors to offer this time around. I have more than 20 guys on my request list. I will notify probably 5 of them at a time that the razors are available.

Notification will be in the order that the request was made that began last year about this time. I will provide them with a private link to a page on my site where they can pick a blade that they like. Then they will be directed to a different page where they can match up the blade with the set of scales of their choice.

After the first notification, then I give a heads-up to the next batch of 5 potential customers about three days after the first guys were notified. I do that until everyone on the list gets told about the choices or there are no razors left. If those on the list don't respond in any way, they will have to make a new request to be put back on the list for the next batch of razors. One of these days I'll take the time to tell you guys the horror story centering around my adversion to customer input for my work. If it ain't fun for me, I don't want to do it. If making razors ever gets to be a chore, I'll sell my tools and buy a bass boat. That prospect actually sounds better and better all the time. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days I'll take the time to tell you guys the horror story centering around my adversion to customer input for my work. If it ain't fun for me, I don't want to do it. If making razors ever gets to be a chore, I'll sell my tools and buy a bass boat. That prospect actually sounds better and better all the time. :biggrin:

I can't wait to hear about this!

The mirror finish *combined* with the brushed finish really is pretty stunning, but in the interest of keeping you from going fishing...........I'm happy to leave all of the design choices for the B&B Limited in your hands.

Maybe we should throw out the poll results and just let you surprise us?

Top Bottom