What's new

An apology re: 5 O'Clock Shadow comments

Hey guys,

We had a *should have inserted foot in mouth* moment during our Write Time at 9 broadcast this week, where we alluded to the 5 O'Clock Shadow ink being the exact same ink as Zhivago, but with a different label, and that any differences between the two inks were simply due to the fact that Nathan makes every batch by hand. This was based on information we received from the Noodler's distributor earlier that day, but we later learned from Jim that while Zhivago was the base color, Nathan worked with the B&B folks to reformulate it per their specs (a little more green, more wash resistance, faster dry time, etc), so it is in fact NOT the same ink. Very similar, and inspired by Zhivago, but not the same.

I want to apologize for spreading this misinformation, and I certainly don't want to make anyone feel that they were cheated or mislead in any way, or to regret their purchase decisions. We plan on doing some sort of blog post in the near future to compare and contrast the two inks since a lot of people have been asking about that. We were fortunate enough to snag a bottle of the 5 OCS from the second batch that just arrived last week, and we are very glad to have helped support the cause!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
from scans, the 5 O'Clock appeared to be exactly the same as zhivago, but in person, the 5 is much darker. Zhivago is a much lighter green.

I look forward to the contrast and compare review. I didn't even notice the green until I got some on my hand because I tend to use finer nibs.

The thing is, with the amount of colors that are in the current line up of Noodler's, I would think it would be kind of hard to pick an everyday business acceptable ink that does not resemble one of the inks already in production...

THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

kidding! who cares, really? to the unsuspecting eye, a chevy cobalt looks exactly like a pontiac g6. a toyota matrix looks like a pontiac vibe.
they're nearly the same but still pretty different.

And those who have seen the ink know it's not the same as zhivago. its close, but arent all blacks pretty similar?

THIS IS COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

kidding! who cares, really? to the unsuspecting eye, a chevy cobalt looks exactly like a pontiac g6. a toyota matrix looks like a pontiac vibe.

And those who have seen the ink know it's not the same as zhivago. its close, but arent all blacks pretty similar?

+1.

I bought it to support the cause (same as Soap for Hope). Everything beyond that is bonus and I liked the label, and needed an ink. Works for me. I like it.

I don't see the green, but my pen puts down a fine line. More discerning individuals may notice a difference but when you only have one ink like I do there is nothing to compare it against.

I want to say thank you to the Goulet's for correcting their mistake! So many people and companies today do not correct their mistakes because they are afraid it will hurt their image!!! POPPYCOCK!!! if more people just owned up to their mistakes we would be a whole lot better off!!! This just shows that the Goulets are top notch people running a top notch company and I am happy to support them!!! Sorry *RANT* off it has been a bad week.

Tom

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Well I'll get over it. . . now let's talk about the Canadian Mountie on the Blue Nose Bear . . . .Ha. The broadcasts / podcasts are great fun and yep there will be small errors. It's not as if you have a 20 person fact checking department. So keep firing in. If there is a mistake the important thing is the frantic recovery and you've handled the recovery very well.

Mike

I want to say thank you to the Goulet's for correcting their mistake! So many people and companies today do not correct their mistakes because they are afraid it will hurt their image!!! POPPYCOCK!!! if more people just owned up to their mistakes we would be a whole lot better off!!! This just shows that the Goulets are top notch people running a top notch company and I am happy to support them!!! Sorry *RANT* off it has been a bad week.

Tom

I agree.

I always tell the students that work for me they should not be afraid to make a mistake, just

1) Let me know as soon as possible.
2) Don't make the same mistake again - make a different one.

No worries, mistakes happen. I'm still a fan.

I feel the 5 o'clock is more of a green/black we're the Zhivago appeared to be a very dark green. I'll need to dig up the Zhivago for a side by side.

to the unsuspecting eye, a chevy cobalt looks exactly like a pontiac g6. a toyota matrix looks like a pontiac vibe.

Point of order, the Cobalt/G6 are completely different cars (I think you meant G5). The Vibe is actually made by Toyota for Pontiac, and is in fact The Matrix's simpler twin. But your point stands; the distinction is lost on most people outside of "us".

I can see why Jim felt the need to clarify, seeing as how it was intentionally made distinct from Zhivago. We'll all benefit from the ensuing comparison! Good show, Brian, for taking the time to apologize publicly. We'll forgive you... for a sneak peek of the next Edison Nouveau.

Kudos to the Goulet's. Your apology shows that you are a company that I want to do business with again.
A company with ethics and a willingness to stand behind their products and to own up to mistakes.

Thank you.

Now off to see if I can justify another ink/pen purchase!

Thank you everyone! Means a lot to have your support. :)

We'll forgive you... for a sneak peek of the next Edison Nouveau.

Ha! It hasn't been created yet. Probably two months out from having that available. We've discussed the design but I don't think Brian Gray has had time to do a prototype yet. But soon we'll be able to reveal a 4th color of the Premiere though, maybe that'll hold you over? :)

It just shows me that you:
1. Are human
2. Care about the people you service.
3. Truly love what you do.

All good things IMO.

Top Bottom