What's new

American Idol....who Do You Think ????

I'm not a fan of lawsuits, but I'd love to see some of the candidates voted off sue, "Vote for the Worst" to see if they can get a nice chunk of change from the simple minded fools.

And the basis for the lawsuit would be ... ?

It's a very interesting thing. There have been rumors for years that votes could be ignored, with the producers declaring any winner they wanted for good TV. I'm kind of interested to see if the producers try to intervene, but that would detract from the credibility of the vote.

From the standpoint of the popularity of the show, this is the first year I've followed the results after the initial auditions. It would be hard to argue that this is hurting the show.

Oh.......You said "Bluff"...I thought you said "buff". I would watch as well of course though I might be a tad more focused.......

-Scott

proxy.php

I am sure going to miss you !!!!

mark tssb

i sure miss Haley...

Phil Stacey

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Jacksonville, FL

Theme: Country
Song: 'When The Black Top Ends' by Keith Urban
My grade: B

Recap: Martina nailed Phil's main problem throughout this competition: stiff beginnings, soaring endings. She forgot to mention "leaving nothing in between but fractured eardrums." And I'll respectfully file McBride's "great soulful lick" opine under "HUH?" because "soul" is not the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Phil Stacey. Odder than that, after the unanimous praises from the judges, Stacey blurts that a Country singer is what he wants to be when he grows up. Okay, then. No better or worse, really, then the real McCoy, Urban himself, but that's not such a hosanna. Competent enough, if Australian Country is your cup of bourbon. It gives me gas.

My prediction: "Wrong Again," but safe again.
Expert prediction: Yahoo! TV thinks country night could be Phil's swan song.

Video: Buzz Session

more

Jordin Sparks

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Glendale, AZ

Song: 'A Broken Wing' by Martina McBride
My grade: A-

Recap: In a single word, Martina summed up Jordin tonight: Awesome. Where once Jordin picked the songs that her voice couldn't (yet) conquer, she's grown into it weekly, with a stupendous take on a McBride classic; she understood the language and nuance of the melody. And, where her faults usually hover in the lower nether regions of her vocals, tonight her chest register rang clear and strong. With a Kelly Clarkson-like catch in her voice, the crescendo gliding toward the chorus was an effortless sashay. Even on her weakest nights there's never a scrap of affectation in her whole being. She's the real deal. And how ironic, the song title she chose? If anyone is flying to the finals, it's Jordin.

My prediction: You're "Safe In The Arms Of Love".

more

Sanjaya Malakar

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Federal Way, WA

Song: 'Something To Talk About' by Bonnie Raitt
My grade: C-

Recap: With Maxim magazine declaring Sanjaya "Girl Of The Day," I held my breath in anticipation of a glitzy, drag version of "Man! I Feel Like A Woman!" But that wish fizzled when he decided that on Country Music night he would select a great blues number. What Bonnie Raitt has to do with Country music, I can't begin to construe; she's a master blues guitarist and one of the great natural singers alive. Alas, my musical snobbery digresses. With his Medusa locks, pancake make-up, and bland performance, Sanjaya's hilariously inept grooves took away any bounciness he might have aimed for, reducing the number to an off-key, incoherent caterwauling –- I mean, who does he think he is, Kellie Pickler? He is his own science fiction story, with the closing chapter fast approaching.

My prediction: It's "Independence Day" for you: b'bya Sanjaya.
Expert predictions: TV Guide and Entertainment Weekly both think America's strange love affair with Sanjaya is about to come to a crashing halt.

more

Lakisha Jones

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Fort Meade, MD

Song: 'Jesus, Take The Wheel' by Carrie Underwood
My grade: B

Recap: If the judges listen back to LaKisha's performance, they will hear a melancholy, subdued beginning. In tune, beautifully reserved, it could have been one of the highlights of the season, nearly producing tears from Martina's eyes during rehearsal. Then, like an iceberg hitting the Titanic, it morphs from a thing of exquisiteness to an all out horror show. Her disemboweled vocals on the chorus were in complete contrast to the gorgeous introduction, hacking her way through the melody and swallowing any restraint. Carrie Underwood might be a hack, but she's a hack not to be imitated (she is a great imitator of McBride herself). Jesus, TAKE THE MIC!

My prediction: 'When God-Fearin' Women Get The Blues', they might go home! Bottom 3.
Expert prediction: Access Hollywood thinks the big-belting diva is on her way home.

more

Chris Richardson

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Chesapeake, VA

Song: 'Mayberry' by Rascal Flatts
My grade: D-

Recap: It is a given that Rascall Flatts is the most gruesome Country act of the past 20 years, but that didn't stop Chris from disgorging and yowling like a zombie bloated on over-the-counter formaldehyde. It worked insomuch that Chris' vocal prowess is about as mucus-filled as Gary Levox himself. Clearly the most horrific vocal of the evening, I would have just shelved this as another pretentious, appalling Richardson "Schlock and Awful" revue if I weren't stunned at his poor taste. After foolishly bickering back and forth with Simon about the 'nasality' of his one-note act (hilariously claiming "Nasal is a form of singing"), he invoked the following pity-plea '...but I do... I do... my heart and prayers go out to Virginia Tech blah blah blah...' Even Simon rolled his eyes at the audacity of it. On that basis alone, he should be sent home. Hopefully, his abysmal performance will do just that.

My prediction: "There You Are", in the bottom three.
Expert predictions: The LA Times and MTV News both think the JT look-alike will be sent packing.

more

Melinda Doolittle

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Brentwood, TN

Song: 'Trouble Is A Woman' by Julie Reeves
My grade: A

Recap: Saying Melinda had the best vocal of the night isn't a novel concept; it's (almost) a weekly recurrence. But to hear her jolt some blues into an obscure, ten-year old country song was delightful to bear witness to! The sass was back, she funk'd it up (in the most positive way), and her voice soared; she adhered to the hillbilly in us all so effortlessly. Sometimes you just sit back in wonder at an indescribable force of nature, and like Fantasia before her, Melinda has confirmed that there isn't a genre she couldn't shine in. Melinda is a PBS voice in an MTV contest.

My prediction: You are "Blessed" -– safe, as usual.

more

Blake Lewis

'American Idol' Finalist
Hometown: Bothell, WA

Song: 'When The Stars Go Blue' by Tim McGraw
My grade: B-

Recap: Inside the soul of Blake Lewis is a fine singer impatiently trying to claw its way out. Unfortunately, tonight's recital, while not his worst, was one of his most listless performances to date. His vocal bluff was a major distraction as he lumbered along seemingly unrehearsed, resulting in a metallic falsetto and tuneless melody. Tim McGraw isn't exactly George Jones, he's pretty much a pop singer with a 10-gallon Stetson. But this arrangement skewed more modern-rock that twangy trills, as it was blatantly obvious that Lewis was so far out of his comfort zone, you could just hear him thinking; "Hell, I wish 311 would've covered this thing!"

My prediction: "This One's For The Girls" –- and a few of us boys -- safe.

more

I had not watched American Idol until last night. I had not read any of the posts in this thread. I was not interested.

However, I am now firmly pulling for Melinda Doolittle. She is the best I have seen since Reuben.

Tim

'American Idol' says sayonara to Sanjaya
By ERIN CARLSONWed Apr 18, 11:14 PM ET

Sanjaya Malakar, the under-talented but unflappable singer who horrified and captivated millions in his improbable "American Idol" run, was finally voted off the show Wednesday night. When the result was announced, Malakar wiped away tears and got a big hug from LaKisha Jones, the next lowest vote-getter. "I'm fine," he told Ryan Seacrest. "It was an amazing experience."
"I can promise you: We won't soon forget you," Seacrest replied.
Malakar then performed one last song, "Something To Talk About." Putting his own twist on the song, the 17-year-old known for his pretty looks and ever-changing hairstyles ad-libbed: "Let's give them something to talk about ... other than hair."
On Tuesday night's show, Simon Cowell had slammed his performance as "utterly horrendous." And for once, the notoriously mean judge was vindicated.
"I'm beginning to sense something here," a grinning Cowell said when Malakar wound up in the bottom three.
Six contestants are now left: Jones, Blake Lewis, Jordin Sparks, Chris Richardson, Melinda Doolittle and Phil Stacey.
Malakar was routinely savaged by Cowell as he developed into one of the weakest, most awkward "Idol" finalists ever. Still, the gangly teen managed to outlast better singers by cultivating an unlikely fan base that helped him survive round after round of viewer elimination.
Though his breathy, childlike singing voice paled in comparison with other finalists, his ability to stand out kept him in the competition. He consistently delivered the season's most talked-about performances, even daring to sport a ponytail mohawk that added pizazz to an otherwise tepid rendition of No Doubt's "Bathwater."
That, of course, wound up fodder for watercooler discussion on G-rated morning programs and smart-alecky Web sites, stoking suspicion that Malakar was self-consciously manipulating the media to carve a place in "American Idol" history.
Many had predicted that he would make it all the way to May finale. Among Malakar's supporters: radio shock jock Howard Stern and the Web site VotefortheWorst.com, which has long promoted the show's tone-deaf candidates. (Previous targets include surly Scott Savol and sweet-natured Kevin Covais. Cult superstar William Hung never even made it to Hollywood.)
Malakar also had the backing of friends and family in his home state of Washington. "He's very handsome. That's most of it," marveled his friend Pat Wright, a gospel choir director in Seattle. "He's a teenager, and young girls and guys really like him."
Malakar seemed buoyed by his widespread fame.
"Welcome to the universe of Sanjaya!" he proudly proclaimed on a recent telecast, following a backhanded compliment from an exasperated Cowell.
Indeed, after panning another of Malakar's performances, Cowell threw up his arms and said there was nothing he could say to prevent people from voting for the oddball-turned-national phenomenon.
But, in the end, Malakar could not win enough votes to join the ranks of Taylor Hicks, Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood.
He will, however, live forever on YouTube.

My wife and I were Hi-Fiving when they announced it. I say Blake is next. I'm rooting for Jordan.

She'll take it. Melinda is really her only competition vocally but she takes the back seat when it comes to looks and presence.

They guys are just not in it this year.

The world is right once again, the birds are singing, the sky is blue and the sun is shining again.

About freaking time he should have been sent home weeks ago!!!!

but the damage is done and the show may not recover from this farse.

Raf

proxy.php

Now that Sanjaya's off-key reign of error on "American Idol" is over, can we agree that it wasn't so bad? The wispy-voiced teen didn't outlast anyone who had a real shot at the crown, and he provided buzz in a season that's distinctly lacking.

After young Malakar packed away his curling iron for the final time, we wondered who will miss Sanjaya most of all...

Vote For the Worst? The site (VFTW) has dented Buzz in past seasons with campaigns for lackluster contestants like Scott Savol and Kevin Covais, but this year it smashed Search head-on. As traction for Sanjaya's candidacy grew, queries on the site reached new heights. Right now, it's in our top 500 searches, but it'll be hard pressed to stay there after Malakar's departure.

Not surprisingly, the mischief-makers looking for VFTW aren't the average "Idol" viewer. Only one-third of "Idol" searches are from guys, but VFTW achieves a much more even 50/50 male-female split, which indicates to us that dudes love to monkey with the outcome of a show they don't like.
Which brings us to Howard Stern. The DJ unleashed his legions of fans on the Idol phone lines to vote for Sanjaya. Alas, it didn't work out. But it did work out for Howard—searches on the Sirius morning man jumped 60% over the last thirty days. Related searches on "howard stern american idol," "howard stern sanjaya," and "stern fan network" blossomed as he pushed hard for a Sanjaya victory.

Stern claimed conspiracy, and he probably has a few Fanjayas who agree with him. Searches on "sanjaya conspiracy," "sanjaya fans," and "sanjayafans.com" all had a modest increase after the (not-so-shocking) result was announced.

One final person who'll really miss Sanjaya on the show is his lovely sister Shyamali. Without any screen time rooting for her underwhelming sibling, it'll be interesting if the curvaceous cutie sticks in the minds of searchers. Her brief appearances were enough to whet the appetite of curious guys, but with her brother booted, will her Web fame continue?

And what's next for the man of many hairstyles? Can he keep the buzz momentum or will he be remembered as the pet rock of Season 6? Fanjayas and haters, what do you think?

mark the shoeshine boy said:
And what's next for the man of many hairstyles? Can he keep the buzz momentum or will he be remembered as the pet rock of Season 6? Fanjayas and haters, what do you think?

My suspicion is that this seasons ratings for Idol will likely drop, and that Sanjaya's "buzz" will be louder than that of whoever wins.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS...AMERICA WAS WRONG !!!!

BUT WE WILL DEFINATLEY SEE MELINDA DOOLITTLE ON THE MUSIC SCENE NOW !!!

Idol Moves Melinda Along

By Natalie Finn Yesterday at 3:07 pm
And then there were two, and even Simon didn't see this one coming. Let alone Homer Simpson, who—promoting The Simpsons' upcoming 400th episode, perhaps?—did the "This is American Idol!" honors for Ryan Seacrest tonight.

Melinda Doolittle was eliminated from American Idol Wednesday, a night after Simon Cowell told her and 30 million viewers that he hoped to see "my Melinda" in the finals next week.

The 29-year-old Tennessean certainly reaped the most praise from the judges Tuesday, turning in three solid performances, including the first Whitney Houston tune voluntarily commissioned by Randy Jackson for a contestant to sing.

"You blew it out of the box!" Jackson exclaimed after Doolittle took on Whitney.

But Doolittle's near-flawless renditions of "I Believe in You and Me," Ike and Tina Turner's "Nutbush City Limits" and Peggy Lee's "I'm a Woman" were not enough to keep 17-year-old phenom Jordin Sparks and beat-boxin' original Blake Lewis out of next Tuesday's season finale.

"Congratulations to you two. My commiserations, Melinda, 'cause you are one heck of a singer," a bummed-out Cowell told her after hearing that the more than 60 million votes had tipped the scales in favor of Sparks and Lewis, giving Idol its third he sang-she sang finale in a row and overriding Jackson's prediction that, based on singing, it was going to be an all-girl final this year.

The consummate professional already, Doolittle—who as the third-place finisher will almost surely be getting a mainstream record deal, anyway—smiled resignedly when she heard the bad news. (Not until after many commercial breaks and performances by Maroon 5 and a now bushy-haired Elliott Yamin, of course.)

Doolittle, Sparks and Lewis all sang three songs last night, one picked by the judges (who then have to fax it to the mayors of the finalists' hometowns to complete the process), one by the producers and one of their own choosing, always a risky endeavor with this pack of picky judges. Er, judge.

Sparks, who was a favorite to go this far but was never as consistent as Doolittle, sang Rose Royce's "Wishing on a Star," courtesy of Cowell; Donna Summers' "She Works Hard for the Money," thanks to the producers; and "I (Who Have Nothing)," which was originally recorded by Ben E. King but also covered notably by Shirley Bassey and Tom Jones.
Sparks' own selection did nothing for Cowell, who called it old-fashioned and claimed to be puzzled as to why a 17-year-old girl would sing a 60-year-old song.

Then again, the acerbic Brit didn't even like the arrangement of the song he chose for her, although he admitted that she "sang it brilliantly."
"You're working it out on whatever song it is," Jackson raved.

Abdul picked out the Police's "Roxanne" for Lewis, who sounded in his element but came off sounding like a Sting impressionist to Cowell.
He did like Lewis' take on the producers' pick for him, Maroon 5's "This Love," which also suited the alt-minded 25-year-old from Washington.
"It didn't sound like a copycat. That was good," Cowell said.

Lewis' own choice, Robin Thicke's "When I Get You Alone," "really exemplified who you are as an artist," according to Abdul, who also loved his "fantastic, fresh" take on "Roxanne."

So next week it'll either be the 17-year-old sweetheart who likes her ballads classic and soulful, or the hipster alt-pop hybrid who prefers doing his own thing whenever he takes the stage, becoming the sixth American Idol

May the fans' dialing be swift, and their text-messaging mighty.

Copyright © 2006 E! Online, Inc. All rights reserved.

She'll take it. Melinda is really her only competition vocally but she takes the back seat when it comes to looks and presence.

They guys are just not in it this year.

Shameless self promotion:

I've been right every year except last (I picked Katharine to win). It's not hard to do - out of the three or four obviously talented ones each season pick the best looking. The exceptions were seasons 2 and 5. Clay and Reuben were both very good singers and although I picked Mr. Studdard I was not confident. Last season I have no explanation other than Kat's perceived bitchiness out weighed her voice and looks cuz Lord knows she had it all over Taylor in those areas.

Jordin is AI 6.

Top Bottom