What's new

Alum Block vs Styptic Pencil

Alum Block or Styptic Pencil

• Alum Block

• Styptic Pencil

Results are only viewable after voting.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I didn't vote as I don't use any of them. Cold water does the trick when I nick myself.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I didn't vote as I don't use any of them. Cold water does the trick when I nick myself.

99 & 44/100 'tis the same. I do have styptics around, but use them once or twice a year. One is I swear from the 60's, I won't reveal how I know that ..

Scraped up some weeping last night but didn't have any official blood stopper on hand, so grabbed my Mitchum solid deodorant. It's got aluminum in it and it stopped every single one of them instantly, covered easily and left zero sign that either it or the blood had ever been there. It is the kind designed to not show up like chalk on clothes, which is probably why it was invisible. So the styptic I had on my shopping list is now crossed off.

Oh yeah - very little to no stinging, that I can recall.

They are really differenrt products for different purposes. I think my alum block--Thai Crystal!--works great as a skin toner. I do not cut myself very often, but when I do, the alum block does little and I would not expect it to, but neither does my styptic pencil, Pinuad brand. I am thinking of getting some styptic powder that you put on wiht a Q tip, which supposed to be very effective.

I use both, but instead of the styptic pencil I use a liquid styptic that I get at a barber shop for 2 or 3 dollars. A small bottle of that will last years and doesn't go bad. I use it when I get a nick and it does the job. I use the alum block after I'm done with my shave. It really makes my face feel good and its antiseptic, so its good for the skin. The alum block can also help with acne, bug bites, cold sores, under arm B.O., and probably many more things. As the old saying goes: "works for me". :biggrin: :tongue: :001_rolle:thumbup1:

I use alum either way and every day, and it usually stops the bleeding on most cuts or little spots etc. and even when I get a great shave I feel it is good for my skin and seals it up.

But I had a nick today actually that needed the styptic liquid (on a cotton pad) to stop the bleeding, and it works super! Wish I had styptic liquid/pen etc. years back when shaving in 'the mach 3' days.

My styptic pencil's getting lots of use since I'm so impatient learning to use a straight. The wedges especially get me every time. The alum block seems to be better to deal with razor burn, while the stypic is best to stop bleeding. Even if the block worked as well for me with bleeding, which it doesn't, it's much harder to clean.

Once upon a time I tried something called liquid bandaid, or something like that. I stopped using it when I noticed a bubble of blood formed under the plastic coating.

I've used both and the Alum block seems to do little to stop weepers or nicks. I've gone on to use the Proraso gel in little tubes which seals over the cut using a hard clear gel. Doesn't sting but is a bit hard to apply.

This isn't an either/or situation for me. I use an alum block everyday as part of my post-shave routine. I use a styptic pencil only when I have a bad nick that won't stop bleeding on its own.

And then styptic. I want to try the al block since I want to try everything I read about here--but for now witch hazel stops the nicks quickly--weepers get styptic and I suppose something really nasty would end up in the e r.

I use a witch hazel base AS so an alum block is a little redundant, although I am considering one for use with an alcohol based AS. I use a septic pencil (col. conk) for the rare nic.

Top Bottom