What's new

Alum block: BEWARE

I use an alum block on a regular basis. I use it to judge the quality of my shave. If my technique and lather is not on point I get sting. At the same time, it took me a bit to find a razor and blade combo that would let me do three passes with extra strokes to clean up the areas I ALWAYS miss and not give me feedback from the alum.

If you are averse to using the alum block, pick up some alcohol free Witch Hazel.

I use the Alum block and Thayers Witch Hazel after every shave, followed by aftershave - usually a balm. I like the feeling, to a degree, but also work in a higher risk arena and try to "close" things up as best as possible.

I use the Alum block and Thayers Witch Hazel after every shave, followed by aftershave - usually a balm. I like the feeling, to a degree, but also work in a higher risk arena and try to "close" things up as best as possible.
I also use alum everyday. Even on days I don't shave, because it is by far the best underarm deodorant I've ever encountered. And I've been using the same 100g sized block for well over a year. It probably still has another two months of use in it.

I mean rub it on the pits after the shower in the morning and wake up the next morning and still have no odor good. Because it doesn't have a scent, it doesn't clash with an aftershave or eau de toilette.

As far as alum, witch hazel, and aftershave "feedback" (I apply all three), it is a way for me gauge the effectiveness of my technique and the quality of my tools. Mostly the blade, but also the razor. If I get some lively feedback, it doesn't mean I've descended into amateur hour. Because I'm experienced enough to use that sting as a diagnostic tool. What the Army calls an "After Action Review".

Nicks/Weepers that survive a shower: alum to stop the bleeding
New razor/blade/combo: alum for feedback
All other shaves: no alum
I used to apply alum after every shave to gauge how well I did on that shave. Now I've moved on to the procedure you laid out above.

To the OP, I don't have coarse beard hair, nor do I think I have particularly sensitive skin. That said, I started my shaving journey with multiple unnecessary passes, which lead to lots of irritation, as well. I've now reduced the number of passes significantly and no longer get irritation.

I tend to agree with the other posters who have suggested simplifying your shaving process, using fewer passes, improving your technique, and using a less sharp blade. At a minimum, a shave that needs four passes suggests poor technique. Also, keep in mind that no one said a BBS is the only acceptable shave (unless you're in the military or something similar where a close shave is required). A CCS is nothing to sneer at and unless someone's in kissing range, he won't notice the difference between a BBS and a CCS on you.

Also, there's no shame in using a less sharp blade. I tried a Personna blade (in my Fatip Grande) for a couple shaves before; both shaves were bad and I ended up with weepers. I quickly concluded Personnas were not for me. I get great shaves from a multitude of other blades (including Nacets, which are also renowned for their sharpness), so there's no need for me to use anything more sharp, as I'm no masochist.

In short, use a less sharp blade, improve your technique, and use fewer passes.

Four passes using a Rex Konsul with Feather blade could be considered a dermaplaning treatment! Plus, hot water can sensitize the skin. If you've ever poured alcohol on an open wound, it hurts a lot, as in nerves screaming out in horror "We are being damaged!".

I'd think about putting a higher priority on your comfort over closeness of the shave, at least for awhile. You will be able to get closer with practice in fewer passes. Maybe rinse with cool water and try witch hazel after shaving. You can revisit the alum later (BTW make sure it is Potassium Alum and not Ammonium Alum).

Top Bottom