What's new

Alden v. Mephisto

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
These shoes will continue to be well-worn but with a different mindset. Moving forward, that scratch/tear will be the least notable blemish on that shoe. 😀

You will be the height of fashion in Japan and Buck House.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I feel your pain, but I would not say ruined. I am not quite a Adlai Stevenson old Boston shoe guy, but if my otherwise nice and well-kept shoes show some effects of the whips and arrows of day to day life, I do not think that disqualifies them from continuing to be worn! A gentleman is not, or at least not necessarily, a "dandy." (No dis, JG, I know you are not a dandy!)

I try to keep one or two pairs blemish free, for the rare occasions that require a dress "code". Everything else will proudly bear witness to the work they have done. The first life scars a shoe will acquire, can be quite painful, but once one or two other trophy marks are acquired, that pain soon goes away. Please note, this is coming from someone who can put damage on shoes all too quickly.

The whole point of a substantial, quality shoe, like an Alden, is that they can get dings and damage and still look great as they age. Wear the scar with pride, it will get less noticeable with time.
Alternatively, although it may be hard nowadays to find a cobbler with the skills and experience to take the job on, get them patch repaired. If it’s good enough for King Charles…

1677277108448.jpeg

These shoes will continue to be well-worn but with a different mindset. Moving forward, that scratch/tear will be the least notable blemish on that shoe. 😀
I knew you did not really need any advice from me, johnniegold!

I try to keep one or two pairs blemish free, for the rare occasions that require a dress "code".
That is a fair point. I am sure I have blemish free dress shoes. I own too darn many dress shoes. On the other hand, I damage mine easily and quickly, too. I am too clumsy to have nice things!

Wow, B&B is its usual education. Turns out I am not a lot of things/people. As I said, I am not Adlai Stevenson or otherwise a Boston Brahmin. I am not a follower of Japanese fashion. And I am not the male head of the British Royal Family!

I do own and occasionally wear some old and rather worn shoes though.

I have never quite understood King Charles' choices. I think I have read that those are bespoke John Lobb shoes His Majesty is wearing in that photo. If I were going to go to the time, trouble, and expense of having Lobb hand carve a last especially for me, handmake me a pair of shoes and keep the last on hand next time I need another pair, I think I would probably be in frame of mind to toss out those shoes when the uppers cracked and wore through. But, I suppose I would be a totally different person than I am if I were having Lobb make me bespoke shoes. Not that I am knocking it. Like Jackie Gleason, I look better in expensive clothes. As I recall, King Charles has his bespoke suits patched up, too!

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
I knew you did not really need any advice from me, johnniegold!

That is a fair point. I am sure I have blemish free dress shoes. I own too darn many dress shoes. On the other hand, I damage mine easily and quickly, too. I am too clumsy to have nice things!

Wow, B&B is its usual education. Turns out I am not a lot of things/people. As I said, I am not Adlai Stevenson or otherwise a Boston Brahmin. I am not a follower of Japanese fashion. And I am not the male head of the British Royal Family!

I do own and occasionally wear some old and rather worn shoes though.

I have never quite understood King Charles' choices. I think I have read that those are bespoke John Lobb shoes His Majesty is wearing in that photo. If I were going to go to the time, trouble, and expense of having Lobb hand carve a last especially for me, handmake me a pair of shoes and keep the last on hand next time I need another pair, I think I would probably be in frame of mind to toss out those shoes when the uppers cracked and wore through. But, I suppose I would be a totally different person than I am if I were having Lobb make me bespoke shoes. Not that I am knocking it. Like Jackie Gleason, I look better in expensive clothes. As I recall, King Charles has his bespoke suits patched up, too!
Yes, and the patching job was crude...

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I have always wondered if Parliament was threatening to reduce the amount of money allocated to the Royals at the time of that photo! :) No disrespect meant to the Royal Family and their subjects!
Possibly true. However, I believe the King receives substantial income from the Crown Estates and Duchy of Lancaster independently from British government, as does the Prince of Wales from the Duchy of Cornwall.

The whole point of a substantial, quality shoe, like an Alden, is that they can get dings and damage and still look great as they age. Wear the scar with pride, it will get less noticeable with time.
Alternatively, although it may be hard nowadays to find a cobbler with the skills and experience to take the job on, get them patch repaired. If it’s good enough for King Charles…

View attachment 1611387
Worn wear. Use them up and wear them out8A0C05E3-1B8B-43ED-8E0C-139DEDAF9BC6.jpeg

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
In December of 2020, I picked up this pair of the Alden All-Weather Walkers.
IMG_7723.jpeg

I began wearing them quite often as I wanted to break them in and develop a nice patina on the alpine grain leather.

IMG_7724.jpeg

And then, one fateful day in February of 2023, a heavy steel glass door swiped the side of my shoe as it swung closed and left a gash in the pebble-grained leather.

IMG_7722.jpeg

Regardless of the unsightly blemish, I still wore the shoe. I tried to cover it with polish, tried to smooth it out with a sleeking bone and even held it over a Zippo lighter to try and darken the scratch, achieving little to no success.
IMG_7725.jpeg

But… I remained steadfast in my resolve to continue wearing these shoes.

Recently, I decided to email my favorite Alden sales rep to see if anything could be done by Alden. I knew the scratch could not be removed, but I was looking to see if Alden could refinish the color of the Alpine grain upper.

As usual, Jim at Alden couldn’t be nicer. Although he was quite sure nothing could be done, he said he would nevertheless reach out to Alden just to be sure.

Last night (Sunday, mind you), I received the following email from Jim responding to my inquiry as follows:

“Finally heard back from the factory and they said afraid not.

How about a new pair at ½ off. The offer will not expire until I expire or get fired.”

Now I’m not gonna lie, after scratching these shoes, although I vowed to soldier on, they were not seeing the action they once did.

I think I just may have to take “Gentleman Jim” up on his most generous offer. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
In December of 2020, I picked up this pair of the Alden All-Weather Walkers.
View attachment 1780442

I was wearing them quite often as I wanted to break them in and develop a nice patina on the alpine grain leather.

View attachment 1780454

And then, one fateful day in February of 2023, a heavy steel glass door swiped the side of my shoe as it swung closed and left a gash in the pebble-grained leather.

View attachment 1780458

Regardless of the unsightly blemish on this shoe, I still wore the shoe. I tried to cover it with polish, tried to smooth it out with a sleeking bone and even held it over a Zippo lighter to try and darken the scratch, achieving little to no success.
View attachment 1780460
But… I remained steadfast in my resolve to continue wearing these shoes.

Recently, I decided to email my favorite Alden sales rep to see if anything could be done by Alden. I knew the scratch could not be removed, but I was looking to see if Alden could refinish the color of the Alpine grain upper.

As usual, Jim at Alden couldn’t be nicer. Although he was quite sure nothing could be done, he said he would nevertheless reach out to Alden just to be sure.

Last night (Sunday, mind you), I received the following email from Jim responding to my inquiry:

“Finally heard back from the factory and they said afraid not.

How about a new pair at ½ off. The offer will not expire until I expire or get fired.”

Now I’m not gonna lie, after scratching these shoes, although I vowed to soldier on, they were not seeing the action they once did.

I think I just may have to take “Gentleman Jim” up on his most generous offer. :thumbup1:
And who doesn't get consistently good service from manufacturers large and small in New England? Rogue made a wallet with an eye to attach a lanyard so that my autistic son does not lose it. Eliza B/Leather Man added a color to their line of surcingle belts, and I like to think it was in response to my request. Rancourt made my camp mocs perfectly at a Go Fund Me price. Andover Shop has tracked down hard to find items. Alden does not surprise me, but I am still delighted. My Aldens are my favorite shoes of all time.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
And who doesn't get consistently good service from manufacturers large and small in New England? Rogue made a wallet with an eye to attach a lanyard so that my autistic son does not lose it. Eliza B/Leather Man added a color to their line of surcingle belts, and I like to think it was in response to my request. Rancourt made my camp mocs perfectly at a Go Fund Me price. Andover Shop has tracked down hard to find items. Alden does not surprise me, but I am still delighted. My Aldens are my favorite shoes of all time.

Let’s give a shout out to Town View Leather of Maine as well for their excellent customer service.

1705356944838.jpeg

Oh… and the new pair of All-Weather Walkers are on their way. (I also ordered a 1/2 size up). 👍

The first pair was just a tad snug in the toe box wherein I had to give some thought to the thickness of the socks that I would wear. A half-size up should alleviate that.

When I get ‘em, you’ll see ‘em. :thumbup1:

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Are you still going to keep the originals, Bob? I'm wondering if it might be worth chucking a bottle of leather dye at them. They'll still bear the scar, but maybe not so vividly.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Are you still going to keep the originals, Bob? I'm wondering if it might be worth chucking a bottle of leather dye at them. They'll still bear the scar, but maybe not so vividly.

With the other pair on the way, I was thinking of stripping these down with Saphir Renomat, adding a Saphir Fawn polish and finish them off with a Saphir Mahogany wax and see where they end up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom