What's new

Aggressive Razors and Senior Citizen Thin Skin

I like Muhle razors, and I would love to try the R41.

But I am afraid because I am 78 years old, and my skin bruises and cuts easier than the skin of a younger person.

It is a fact that our skin becomes more thin in our senior citizen years. One can Google "thin skin old age" and there is much info confirming that.

Here's my question: Are there any shavers on the forum who are in their 60's or 70's who have used the Muhle R41, and with what results?

Thanx for sharin'

While I can't speak to the thin skin issue (I'm "only" 49) my advice would be to try it with a blade that tends to be gentler on your face. I'd probably try German made Wilkinson Swords, which tend to be smooth and gentle on my face. As long as your technique is good, I'd think you'd be fine.

I'm an older guy, 1946 boomer. I find that aggressive razors too easily can negatively affect my skin. I've been tempted to try an R41, too. I've been using a Merkur 34C--it's a mild razor, but when paired with a good blade, Gillette Rubie or Gillette 7 O'clock Black (India made), the razor delivers smooth and close shaves. I found Feather blades irritate my skin. Of all the blades I've tried, Gillette Rubie Stainless Steel deliver the best shave in any razor.

Indeed, our skin does thin with age. I've tried some other open comb razors, and the aggressive ones have wrecked havoc with my skin. My brother is about 82, he still wet shaves; but he, too, has found open combs are too much for his skin. I also found that aggressive razors will irritate my skin--ugh! The joy of aging?

I've read where some guys find milder blades, like Astra SP, work great in R41 razors. I'd likely try an Astra 'if' I were to buy the Muhle.

I'm not sure if the skin gets thinner with age, but from what I've heard it's certainly not as elastic as when we're younger. But the results would be the same, not as forgiving.

I'm 69 and have tried the R41 with a Personna Red blade and got a shall I say close shave, had a razor burn and found a need for some Neosporin and styptic on my neck and lip. Handed the 41 back to my nephew, (he uses a Feather in it) with the knowledge that the razor wasn't for me, The Personna Reds are more for my Weber PH .

If you really want to try one, and can afford it, perhaps you should get one if only to get it out of your system. I am still in my 50s but have issues by which it is wise to avoid cuts. Still, that could not stop me from living, and a few cuts were not going to result in instant death.
There are at least two aspects to an R41 vis-a-vis a less aggressive razor such as the R106. One is that when you bring the razor to your face, you feel the presence of the blade and give it respect. The other is that you may, and likely will, get some cuts with a distribution and frequency similar to people who are getting started with DE shaving. The chin and under the jawline are prone to such accidents. Over time, you may adjust your technique somewhat for the more aggressive razor and the cuts become less frequent. Meanwhile, though the blade has more exposure with an aggressive razor it is still a "safety razor" and it will not cut to the bone. Even with improvements to technique, you may re-evaluate the use of the R41 through a blade change or two. It may be advisable to use a middle-of-the-road blade, such as a Derby, and not a sharp one such as a Feather.
In my case, I was trying the R41 to see if it would deliver a closer shave with fewer passes. It did not. What it would do is a better job of cutting longer growth, but I was shaving daily so no such advantage was needed, and I returned to the R106. Maybe just for the giggles of it I'll try the R41 again sometime.

I'm a senior and I have a Matador Toro Mastiff ( designed to be aggressive ) ....
I use it a lot, even with aggressive blades with no problem.
You can also use Noxzema cream to reduce razor burn if it's an issue.

I have several senior friends (one is 84) who wet shave and use aggressive razors, one of which I know uses the R41. Neither of them have made any negative comments. I also as a senior use the R41. It is aggressive and requires more attention, however I have not had any issues in its use.

There was a post by a gent on blood thinners who still wanted to use his SE. His solution was a one pass shave. I am sure someone with better search skills then mine could find it. Bottom line, a smooth comfortable shave is more then good enough.

I'm 73 and had the original R.41. Although I did not nick myself I did find the shave very uncomfortable particularly around the neck area. If it helps any, I can use a Slim or FB on 9 with no problem and have several sant razors that work great.

57 here and use an R41 without issue, but that was after finding a blade that agreed with my face. If you really want to experience the wonderful shave an R41 affords you, I would say the deciding factor in your purchase is whether or not you have the ability to suffer through a few bad shaves before settling on a blade that fits you. Cause we all know YMMV!

I like Muhle razors, and I would love to try the R41.

But I am afraid because I am 78 years old, and my skin bruises and cuts easier than the skin of a younger person.

It is a fact that our skin becomes more thin in our senior citizen years. One can Google "thin skin old age" and there is much info confirming that.

Here's my question: Are there any shavers on the forum who are in their 60's or 70's who have used the Muhle R41, and with what results?

Thanx for sharin'

I am 88,tough beard and find the Ikon 102 with a feather and the Ikon 101 with a personna Med works for me,no cuts or irritations----NO PRESSURE RONKEY

I'm 58 and just bought a FaTip Piccolo about a month ago. Started with Astra SP blades. Once I got through a short learning curve, I got smooth shaves even on my sensitive neck skin. I put a Feather in it and that didn't go well at all. I'm going to try more blades to try to find the brand that works for that razor.

I'm 67 and I find it's all in your technique. I have used the R41 but just didn't like the way it shaved. It tugged at my beard. The Fatip I find very smooth but I use to get a mild irritation with it. Now I don't. It's all in your technique. Since I came back to wet shaving about 3 years ago, I only very rarely draw blood.

Why do you want an aggressive razor? Curiosity? I get all the BBS/DFS shaves I want with Slims/Fatboys/Kronas/Superspeeds, given the right blade. I find Missions/NEWs/Slants/what-nots to be acceptable but subpar. Unless it's for the sake of variety, I don't see why it's worth the bother unless your hair is so coarse that less in-your-face razors are not "cutting" it. And if technique will cure razor burn with an aggressive razor, better technique will also allow you to shave closely with a milder razor. With no burn.

Why do you want an aggressive razor? Curiosity? I get all the BBS/DFS shaves I want with Slims/Fatboys/Kronas/Superspeeds, given the right blade. I find Missions/NEWs/Slants/what-nots to be acceptable but subpar. Unless it's for the sake of variety, I don't see why it's worth the bother unless your hair is so coarse that less in-your-face razors are not "cutting" it. And if technique will cure razor burn with an aggressive razor, better technique will also allow you to shave closely with a milder razor. With no burn.

This has been talked about on other threads. Yes it has been pretty much agreed-ed upon that you can get a very close shave with a mild razor. Just as close as with an aggressive razor. Some say it will require an extra pass but that is still debatable. You can only shave so close. And the shave will last just as long with either razor.

I'm 62, I use the FaTip Piccolo, I have no issues with shaving. Being on blood thinners I suppose to avoid cuts, personally a nick is not a cut.
I enjoy wet shaving a few nicks now and then are part of the shaving experience. Those nicks are always a result of poor technique not razor aggressiveness.

My R41 shaves seem to last twice as long, but it gets very occasional use, favoring my Fatboy and Sledgehammer most of the time.

Top Bottom