What's new

Aftershave samples review

Gabel's Lime:
Didn't really like this one from Gabel's. Had a nice lime smell, no burn at all from alcohol and no menthol freeze. Did feel nice on face for healing properties, however... This smelled more like soap to me. Had the lime but was very soapy smelling almost like a child's bubbles.

D.R.Harris Sandalwood:Ok- now this is what sandalwood should smell like. I usually have trouble with sandalwood as it can be pungent to me, but this was nice. This was a sweet sandalwood, very similar to smelling incense. Somewhat similar to Nag Champa incense which makes sense as that contains sandalwood. Nice sweet woody smell. Was not drying to the face, no great sting and definitely no cooling menthol. But the wife liked it and it lasted up close for quite a long time.This one may be a purchase. Warning this thread causes ASAD.
Firstly, thanks for the great reviews. DRH Sandalwood Splash is one of if not my favourite AS. Wonderful, potent scent, with, indeed, considerable moisturizing power [no menthol here, but high glycerin], especially considering it's an ABS; of note, the current/reformulated version is mellower in scent compared to its predecessor, though it's still potent enough, IMO. My other favorites are DRH Arlington splash [as described, mentholated], and LEA Classic splash [contains sandalwood scent and menthol].

D.R.Harris Marlborough:So.. my sandalwood dilemma continues. Marlborough has a nice burn when put on. Definitely lets you know if you shaved rough. The scent is cedar and sandalwood. I really liked the DR Harris Sandalwood aftershave but this I couldn't handle. This has that pungent sandalwwod smell that justs takes my breath away, that is makes it hard for me to breath. I don't understand the difference, but it is. You'll have to try it for yourself to understand I guess, or maybe it is just me, A love/hate with sandalwood.Didn't dry me out. But this one is a no for me on the scent.
I didn't much care for this one either, though I get more Cedar than Sandalwood here.

D.R.Harris Pink
:Did I just splash water on my face? Oh wait it is coloured-- Oh I just splashed pink coloured water on my face.That is how it felt. Although it was a little silkier than water, but not by much. This has no alcohol burn at all, not even an hint of a tingle. Not much of a scent either. Maybe a slight rose(?) smell, but cannot be sure. Made the face feel refreshed, but I like a little scent at least. This is for those with sensitive skin and want a super light scent that doesn't last.
Though it's not my go-to AS, I think it should well-serve those who wish to avoid high-alcohol-based ***; another AS similar in consistency and function is DRH Skin Food [made of two ingredients only, Witch Hazel and Boric Acid; there is no added scent but its scent is somewhat pleasant and not offensive like Witch Hazel can be].

Last edited:
Gabel's Lilac:
Very nice scent if you like Lilacs. I really enjoyed this. Nice face feel like the rest but I still miss the burn of the alcohol. Lasts maybe 6 hours. No powder smell like some other Lilac brands. Very enjoyable but not quite on top.

Gabel's Bay Rum:
Very pleasant Bay Rum smell. Has a little burn but not much. Same feel as the rest of the Gabel's line. This one is probably the longest lasting of the bunch. Wouldn't mind using this in a boot leg.
Gabel's line was an overall nice feel but just isn't quite there for me. Very good for someone who has sensitive skin.

Floid Suave:
A little menthol here. Only a small amount of cooling. Lots of powder smell.
This one reminded me of Lysol. Lots of powder, baby powder scent, talc. whatever. to me just to much powder. I do not like powdery scents. That said if you like the classic barber shop smell and old time powder smell, then this is for you. Reminded me of my Grandma's bathroom. The Lysol smell toned down after the menthol wore off, but the powder was there for hours.
Wow this is one of my longest reviews. Definitely had an impact on me, but not a good one. I bet this scent is very polarizing.
I just tried my suave sample today and yes, there's too much powder. Although it doesn't last long

Pinaud Clubman:
This to me smells like the classic barber shop smell. It has a sweet oily scent(but is by no means oily-mostly alcohol and very drying). Plus a talc powder smell. This powder is not as strong as either of the Floid Vigoroso or Suave. If you like barber shop smell this one is for you.(Smells like a fresh haircut)

one of my all-time favorite AS scents. It lasts a long time and I just feel confident wearing it.

Murray & Lanman Peruvian Florida Water:
Very nice scent. Has a different smell than the original but very similar. First thing I noticed was a very sweet smell. After researching this version I think it may come from the type of alcohol used. It does have a good burn when put on. Has a strong citrus bergamot like smell. Then I notice a spice like cloves. Not any powder smell in this. Maybe dried me out a little. This is nice as a refresher. Didn't last too long maybe 4 hours?

Murray & Lanman Orange Blossom:
Smells awesome.. Really nice sweet smell. I'm more of a spice man but I really like this. It doesn't smell like orange blossoms, if you have ever smelled them, they are in a class by themselves. But it does smell like oranges and like blossoms, maybe honeysuckle. Very nice sweet smell. Probably good for a man or a woman. Lasts quite awhile especially up close, or if you refresh a little. I could smell it in the shower about 20 hours from putting it on.
Did have an alcohol sting. Just a nice sweet smell. Something a little different.

Murray & Lanman Alcoholado Florida 70:
This has a nice spicy smell. A little bit of clove and some alcohol burn. Overall I like this scent a lot. Not quite bay rum but a nice scent none the less. Lasts long time- could smell in shower the following day.

Murray & Lanman Kananga:
Very sweet floral scent. Too sweet for me. It was a smell that I knew but couldn't quite place, so I did some research- Found something that mentioned Cananga with a C instead of a K. Looked that up in the dictionary and it brought me to cananga oil with is essential oil from the ilang-ilang tree less fragrant then ilag-ilang oil.
So I guess there you have it- it smells like ylang-ylang but I guess not as strong
There was a nice burn when applied and the sweet smell lasts for quite a bit. Very strong at first, very floral.

Hey Vez... I forgot to ask...am i tempting you with some new scents? I thought you had them all by now:clown:

Murray & Lanman Rue:
Very hard to describe. Had a pine smell but not the usual pine, also something sweet as of floral, and maybe a little powder. I couldn't really get a full grip on this scent. I kind of like it but it isn't at the top. It is refreshing though. A little alcohol bite, not a lot. Didn't last very long, maybe 6 hours up close.

Murray & Lanman Kananga:
Very sweet floral scent. Too sweet for me. It was a smell that I knew but couldn't quite place, so I did some research- Found something that mentioned Cananga with a C instead of a K. Looked that up in the dictionary and it brought me to cananga oil with is essential oil from the ilang-ilang tree less fragrant then ilag-ilang oil.
So I guess there you have it- it smells like ylang-ylang but I guess not as strong
There was a nice burn when applied and the sweet smell lasts for quite a bit. Very strong at first, very floral.
I was hoping for a Live and Let Die connection.

Top Bottom