What's new

Aftershave a necessity or a luxury?

In an interesting note, there was a period of time (after I was using just cold water, not a long period, and definately before I found this forum) that I used plain rubbing alcohol as an aftershave. :eek: :a47: :frown2: I had this belief that the burn was good for me, kind of a "it can sting now or sting latter" kind of a thing. Similar to the notion that medicine must taste awful in order to be effective.

I used to use rubbing alcohol as aftershave, too. I didn't think it was good for me, I just liked the burn. The burn from my styptic pencil was good today, too.

An alcohol-based aftershave is an absolute necessity for me whether I use a DE, injector or Mach 3. If I don't use one my face remains itchy and generally uncomfortable all day. I've tried using an alum block, but it doesn't help and leaves my face feeling tight to boot. Balms feel greasy and are ineffective on me as is witch hazel. One of my favourite A/Ss is Pinaud Bay Rum, which a lot of people find too "burny", but which I find unsurpassed in efficacy. I even go so far as to cut my Thayer's Rose toner with grain alcohol to achieve the desired effect, because I love its smell and price, but find ineffective without the added alcohol.

Top Bottom