What's new

After many, these 3 remain

I have had about 10 brushes pass through my hands and have either PIF'd, given to Dad or sold all but these 3. They are not what many would consider high end in the least but they just "work" for me. I do like a variety in rotation and these 3 are very different but all great.

Ever-Ready 52C with a TGN Pure knot - Great brush if you like the badger/water quality with a bit of scritch. It has broken in and got softer.

Semogue 1305 - great boar and when broke in is soft as silk. Some may not like wood handles but it eeks of old barbershop character

Ever-Ready 500 with TGN Silvertip - Pure luxury & a great performer with any medium. There is absolutely nothing bad to say about a good Silvertip.

Not really sure if I need anymore brushes but it's not always about need.....

proxy.php

Its good that you've found the ones that work best for you.

I had over a dozen at one time, and now I've got them down to the 4 I like and use the most in my rotation.

I have black and green and red and black Ever ready's 100's and 200's but a Black and yellow yet. Congrats on some fine brushes and knots.

I agree 100% about the softness of a boar. I have my Burma Shave brush I bought new 3 years ago when I first started to wet shave. That guy is so soft that I couldn't imagine it not being in rotation with my ultra high end Morris & Forndran. My Burma Shave turns Mama Bears soap into the thickest, creamiest lather I've ever seen.

Very nice indeed! My razor rotation is narrowing down to a 1910's, 1920's, 1930's, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's Gillette - one for every day of the week of my shaves (I skip Saturday) :)

I hope to ultimately have my brushes down to where I also have 6 brushes to go with each day of the week.

Any issues with paint cracking or chipping on the Semogue 1305? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm nervous about the paint.

No cracks. Chips yep, it's paint! I am careful not to soak the wood and the only reason it has a couple chips is because of drops in the sink, etc.. It's a $19 brush that works really well so I'm not fretting about pristine condition. It looks like a vintage shave tool.

Any issues with paint cracking or chipping on the Semogue 1305? I'm thinking about getting one but I'm nervous about the paint.

I feel it's just a matter of taking proper care of a painted wooden handle brush to avoid problems. Don't soak the handle and don't drop the brush. I keep an old floppy boar that was my first real brush from over 40 years ago. It has seen terrible abuse. The paint is chipped and missing in large chunks and the wood is cracked. Although I did not know any better at the time, it is a wonderful reminder to me of how not to treat a boar. BDW, my 1305 is about a year and a half old and the handle looks like new. A wonderful brush that sees use about once a week.

Top Bottom