What's new

affordable stright razors

Very nice - three very good looking razors you have picked up. As they are square points - please be careful until you are used to them - or read up on muting (dulling) that point. I have clipped myself a couple of times with the ones I have.

My vote would be for a Friodur Inox 472. You can a good one on the bay for under $100. They are stainless steel and 6/8 size.

Very nice - three very good looking razors you have picked up. As they are square points - please be careful until you are used to them - or read up on muting (dulling) that point. I have clipped myself a couple of times with the ones I have.
True statement. I dug the toe of my cmon Blackie right in to my cheek yesterday. I bled like a stuck pig. I was not running the blade parallel to my face . I lifted the heel slightly, but just enough to slice my cheek. The razor was a full hollow grind. Something to keep in mind when using such a blade.

I learned the word "tragus" by nicely slicing both of mine with a square point. Twice. On each side.

Afterwards I had to look it up because that's a lot of pain for such a small flap of skin.

I learned the word "tragus" by nicely slicing both of mine with a square point. Twice. On each side.

Afterwards I had to look it up because that's a lot of pain for such a small flap of skin.

I like the fact that you highlighted it - I did not have any idea of where the tragus was located, at least my brain is not fully functioning on 1/2 cup of coffee this morning....

I did get my cheek when doing the mustache area and the tip touched down on the cheek - bled pretty good. Dulling that tip is the way to go - at least until you have a good amount of experience and control - then it may be useful.

+1. $200 is more than double what I have ever spent on a new straight, and three to four times what I have ever spent on vintage.

My advice, in increasing cost order (but all are equally good options really):

1. Gold Dollar or ZY430+ honed by someone on the forums. A few forum members hone them and sell them on the 'bay. Will probably be about $20-30, will be new, and will shave as well as any razor.
2. Sight Unseen razor from Whipped Dog. Larry sells them for $43 last I checked. Lots of people vouch for his honing skills.
3. One of Seraphim's works of art at vorpalrazors.weebly.com. He often has one in the $60 range but it varies. This will give you a one of a kind razor that is amazing to look at and will shave great. I keep meaning to buy one myself.
4. New honed NTS Solingen or entry level Dovo or Boker from The Superior Shave. Jarrod puts a great edge on the blade and these are fine products. Will probably run you $90-$120.

You really shouldn't have any need to spend more than that. Personally I recommend the Gold Dollar route. Ask around and people will recommend forum members currently selling them honed.

Hey, I just saw this. Thanks for the shout out!:thumbup1:

Uneven hone wear, i.e. smiles, frowns, excessive hone wear, rust pitting especially on or near the edge, blade not centering in scales, loose scales, hard-to-see cracks in blade....

Cheers, Steve
Yes all that and also bad honing jobs. Although this can be a problem with new razors too.
My first TI (from Art of Shaving) came in with a great edge and it was one of on the lesser expensive side.
The Dovo my wife got me from somewhere on the Internet (thru Amazon I think) was not usable, but stropping on crOx got it where it needed to be.
Same thing for the next TI that was gifted to me (also from AoS).
And the last TI received required rehoning from scratch. The bevel was not even set right. And that one was one of the expensive one.

So for new razor shave ready, my odds have been 1 in 4.
But at least there is somewhere to complain.

For vintage shave-ready I think my success rate has been about 1 in 2.

I am new to shaving with a stright razor and I am looking for for some affordable ones I am currently shaving with a Thiers Issard 5/8 hollow ground and love it dose anyone have any suggestions on what else is out there that is good quality and not gonna break the bank and what dose everyone think about the current razor should I have started with something else.

My first was a whipped dog sight unseen. They are very low price and come totally shave ready.

well everyone I got my three razors in today and I am extremely excited so much to the point that I left work early just to get home to see them I'm happy to say they are all shave ready and I'm gonna use one tonight the hard part is deciding which one I want to use I am a little worried about the tip a little so everyone wish me luck also

well everyone I got my three razors in today and I am extremely excited so much to the point that I left work early just to get home to see them I'm happy to say they are all shave ready and I'm gonna use one tonight the hard part is deciding which one I want to use I am a little worried about the tip a little so everyone wish me luck also
Here's to luck. I am glad you love your new razors. Let us know how it goes when you take it for a spin around the chin. I suspect you will love them even more. Lapping film makes all the difference in a smooth shave and a sharp blade.

Up until SWMBO stepped like a goalie to prevent purchase any more razors, I trolled the Bay with a limit of $31 and looked at ending soonest auctions with Vintage or Antique razors. I snagged three pretty good vintage razors for $31 or less that may have been overlooked or were poorly written. With some patience and discipline there are bargains on the Bay. Antique stores, at least in my neighborhood want an arm, leg and firstborn for not so nice razors. There are several sellers that start their auctions at like 24.95 and people miss them and I pounce at the very end.

ok everyone so I tried out one of the new razors and the new soap and I am very very happy I got a very close shave and the soap is great smells good and feela great on the face thank you very much Mr Brian for the great razors and the amazing soap anyone looking for a good razor at a great price should talk to him

ok everyone so I tried out one of the new razors and the new soap and I am very very happy I got a very close shave and the soap is great smells good and feela great on the face thank you very much Mr Brian for the great razors and the amazing soap anyone looking for a good razor at a great price should talk to him

Thank you so very much. I'm very happy you are satisfied

Top Bottom