What's new

Advise on these, Please.

These belonged to my Grandfather and I’d like to get them cleaned up. I doubt that I will be going over the “straight edge” anytime soon but, ya never know. I’m remodeling my bathroom this winter and I’d like to display them somehow. Do you think these are restorable? I would also like to know the vintage on these, just out of curiosity. I assume they are from WW2?? Thanks for any help;

Attachments

• IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 79

Legion

Staff member
On at least two of those I see pretty clear evidence of cell rot. The celluloid scales are chemically breaking down and releasing acidic fumes that are eating the blade. Dispose of those immediately, or at least store them well away from the others, lest they be rusted away to oblivion as well.

The others look restorable. They are from around the 20's, 30's, apart from the one with the horn scales which looks older. I would advise against displaying them in the bathroom.

Thank you. I'll consider those two gone! As for the others, I found a place that will clean them up for me. As for displaying them? I have no intention on displaying dangerous, sharp objects in my bathroom... I mean who would do that?? LOL. Actually, for sentimental reasons, they will be used for decor purposes only. I just haven't figured out how yet.. perhaps in some kind of display case. Not sure but, I'll figure it out. Thanks for the info on the vintage. I knew someone in here would be knowledgeable in that area. Thanks again, cheers!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Thank you. I'll consider those two gone! As for the others, I found a place that will clean them up for me. As for displaying them? I have no intention on displaying dangerous, sharp objects in my bathroom... I mean who would do that?? LOL. Actually, for sentimental reasons, they will be used for decor purposes only. I just haven't figured out how yet.. perhaps in some kind of display case. Not sure but, I'll figure it out. Thanks for the info on the vintage. I knew someone in here would be knowledgeable in that area. Thanks again, cheers!
Did you figure out how to display these, friend?

Not yet. I’m in the middle of the bathroom remodel and all of its madness. I’ll figure it out eventually.

Top Bottom