What's new

Advice on new shotgun?

Does anyone have a Benelli M2. Thats the gun my friend recommended.

I think it'll make a great duck gun, but a pretty marginal trap gun. I think if you're willing to spend $1200-$1300 on a semi-auto you'll be better served by a Beretta AL 391 Urika2.

Might not be a great all purpose shotgun but you will definitely be the center of attention in your duck blind.:wink:

proxy.php

Does anyone have a Benelli M2. Thats the gun my friend recommended.

Hell and back reliability for sure.

the LOP is too short for most people (me), which results in an inproper mount.

also, the non gas op sys results in more recoil. For me this meant I had a harder time making doubles because recovery time was longer.

I used one for 2 years and sold it off. Resell value is superb.

I love Traps. Started with a Browning BT-99 and broke my first 25 with it. Over time I moved into O/U's, primarily to do doubles. Not a big fan of semi-autos even though I have a couple, favorite being the Benelli, which can handle mixed length shells (not for Trap, but has happened hunting).

I'd stick with the O/U crowd, especially if a lefty. No need to "learn" or "accommodate" to shell ejection, just keep with the basics; the same, over and over and over again. Also depending on personal preference on weight, O/Us have that too, depending on manufacture. Love Krieghoff (very costly) for it's wt., which is also it's downfall. I personally have used the Ruger Red Label for water fowl, and even sporting clays. Nice gun, and the price is reasonable and US made too.

Look for balance with appropriate barrel length and flow for the swing shots. Shoulder mount to bring the gun up to your face and not bring face down to gun. Three inch or 3.5" shells not an issue in Trap, more so in waterfowl. Gauge hasn't even been mentioned as the needs of one are not necessarily good for the other. I like the ideas on two guns, don't have to be very expensive, for the two sports. It's kinda like Skeet vs Trap; the same gun can be used for each, but neither is really right for the other. Compromise costs something at both ends.

Good luck and most of all, have FUN.

Lee

get the remington 870 and the 1100 both!!!
ive used these for years never had any problems
and cheap--- i mean inexpensive!!!!
btw my 870 belonged to my father he
gave it to me when i was a boy it
still works as good today as it did more
than 40 years ago
cheers
charliec

Spend the extra money and buy a Benelli. It will never jam and you can use it for a variety of sporting clays and blood sports and you will not regret it. The Italian have perfected the inertial action in the Benelli. 870s are fine too but for sporting clays you are at a serious disadvantage with a pump. Almost everyone uses an over and under for skeet/trap. A semi-auto can serve you well for non-competitive sporting clays and hunting birds also.

I'm not a trap shooter, so I won't offer advice on shotguns. I will, however, give you a website where you can find most any gun cheaper than in a store.

www.gunbroker.com it's the ebay of the gun world. You can thank me later :)

I went to a Beretta AL 390 silver Mallard somewhere around 10 years ago. My separated right shoulder just wasn't up to my pumps anymore. I have found it to be completely reliable. Just like any other fine piece of machinery you must maintain and take care of it to keep it operating. If you don't clean your gun it will jam. If you abuse your gun you will shorten is useful life and it will fail on you.

As a duck and goose hunter that hunts every week, I have many friends I hunt with who all have different opinions on the best gun to use. But we all agree that it must fit you. Take some time to find a gunsmith or a shotgun instructor (find a skeet range near you) who can help you fit a shotgun before you buy.

I've got too many shotguns.
My favorite, go to for everything is my 12 ga Browning Citori Hunter Over/Under. It just feels good and balanced and I just seem to shoot the best with it. When hunting, I don't really miss only having two rounds instead of three.
Second favorite is my Remington 11-87. Smooth swing and good action.
Both of those are going to be on the edge or out of your price range. As well as some of my other favorites: Beretta 390, Benelli Super Black Eagle, Browning A5 and Gold Hunter.
You will probably be looking at a pump. In which case, I'd recommend the Remington 870 or Browning BPS. I really like both of them. They both have a good feel and are tough as nails. I like the 20 ga but if you are looking at hunting ducks, get the 12 ga chambered for 3" shells. For me, the BPS feels a little better than the 870.
The biggest point is to make sure the gun fits you and that it feels good and balanced when you swing it. There is nothing wrong with a pump; just avoid the tendency to try to cycle a new shell into the chamber as fast as possible. That was the hardest habit I had to break when I got serious about shooting. I would be so concerned about getting another round in the chamber I wouldn't get on the target properly or I wouldn't follow through. The follow through is really important.
What every you end up getting, clean it after each use and get a good hard sided case for it.

Top Bottom