What's new

How About the More “Genteel” Side of Firearms?

The spectre of “Modern Sporting Arms” has indeed become an overwhelming aspect of contemporary firearms ownership. Yeah…I have a Colt AR15, spends MUCH more time in the safe than any of my other ordnance for sure. It just ain’t all that practical, at least not in my environment. Same can be said for the bumper crop of plastic/fantastic pistols available today. But at least they are a practical bit of goods in many applications. But why is so little spoken about the true works of art in the firearms world? Let’s shake that up a tad…how about you guys posting some images of the clay bustin’, bird whackin’ Old School classics? I mean those O/U and SxS shotguns that are as much in style today as a ‘57 Chevrolet or a pair of Bass Weejuns? And why not? Let’s throw in some auto and/or pump clay pigeon killers as well….
B2480BEC-530E-4085-8325-14F10FBE7A46.jpeg

Let‘s start here..post ‘em if you got ‘em.
2D67B676-D38D-4D4C-90E4-EC08AF109236.jpeg
317C4656-EFA3-4FC2-8D41-EB4005E07749.jpeg

C9AABA63-B716-40B0-97D1-E8DCDF5ABA03.jpeg
7AF7B4C0-BCD1-4131-AD6E-1F71897E8C46.jpeg
B4290348-BC5F-4A5E-9B25-1BB58DE8597B.jpeg
6256A0CB-CF07-4599-90D9-62F17908A15E.jpeg

Top to bottom:
Winchester 101-12 gauge
Benelli Sport II-12 gauge
Beretta Silver Pigeon I-12 gauge
Remington 1100 Classic Trap-12 gauge
Browning CXS-20 gauge (gotta have at least 1😉)
Browning Citori White Lightning-12 gauge

I like this thread. I shoot clays a few times a week. I have several Browning O/U guns. I'll have to post a pic or two when I get a chance.

I shoot this old Citori Trap once a week. It's close to 30 years old and has been rebuilt once. A guesstimate would put it at over 150k shells. All the bluing is worn off the bottom of the receiver and tang from all the use.
I have both newer and nicer guns, buy this is my favorite gun for trap.
20200926_231252.jpg

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I recently recovered some shotguns from the bottom of a lake.....too dirty to show off yet..... One my lovely bride has claimed!

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Had a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon with 32" tubes that I miss teribbly! Current scatter gun is a practical/tactical that will get the job done but doesn't fit with these beauties. Think bring a HumVee to a concours d'elegance car show. :lol:

P.S. I do long for one of these. 687 EL-LL Diamond Pigeon...
diamond-pigeon-.jpg

Last edited:
Had a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon with 32" tubes that I miss teribbly! Current scatter gun is a practical/tactical that will get the job done but doesn't fit with these beauties. Think bring a HumVee to a concours d'elegance car show. :lol:

P.S. I do long for one of these. 687 EL-LL Diamond Pigeon...
View attachment 1402276

I feel your pain Chris, I let a Silver Pigeon 687 get away about 10 years ago after sitting in the safe for about 5. Now that I'm wanting to get back into Sporting clays, I could kick myself.

I'm looking at a slightly used Browning Ultra XT now. I just need to figure out if I could get used to the high rib.

Don't let that Ultra XT pass you by if it's priced right for the condition. XT's are fantastic. Ones with the Ultra moniker are kinda rare. The story is Browning dropped the Ultra when Remington sued them.

1643640408638.jpeg

Browning Superposed Broadway Trap
Grandfather bought it mid '70s, put the warranty in my name as they had a lifetime warranty. I do have the servo plate warranty card. :)
He shot trap every Sunday for most of his life, state champ a few times, Reno and Vegas shoots every winter, founding member of the Denver Metro Trap & Skeet Club. As soon as I could hold this sucker up he had me shooting most every week too. Unfortunately I haven't shot trap on a regular basis since he died 20 years ago. Club is long gone, couple smaller clubs around here, need to get back at it.

Broadways are beautiful guns. I shoot with a couple of guys that use them.

For anyone that considers an old Superposed, do your homework on "saltwood guns" before you buy.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
You folks sure do have some purty scatterguns. I’m ashamed to say all I have is an old beat up 1100 in 12g. I guess I’ll have to go about remedying that sometime soon.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Then and now.

Long long ago and in a land far far away duck hunting along the banks of the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries was an annual rite. The goal was to put on your heaviest woolen coats and fire-up at least two Johnny Hand Warmers and spend a delightful early morning huddled in the blind while the morning mist froze on your face and your eyes watered like garden hose leaks.

My shotgun of choice was a 28" Winchester Model 12 20 gauge with a modified choke. It was ideal for those low flying fast moving ducks, lighter than the big 12 gauge and very maneuverable. My future Father-in-Law preferred his Browning Sweet 16 but I was happy with the old Winchester. It had been made back in 1927 and had over time grown fond of ducks and so regardless of my wishes, desires or effort it refused to cause any harm to any ducks other than possible chest pains from their laughter. The big old Chesapeake Bay Retriever that was our companion in the blind seemed to take great pleasure in diving into the frigid waters of the Magothy River and after returning with my father-in-law's birds stand directly next to me while shaking off the water.

Winchester then & now 2small.jpg

Don't let that Ultra XT pass you by if it's priced right for the condition. XT's are fantastic. Ones with the Ultra moniker are kinda rare. The story is Browning dropped the Ultra when Remington sued them.

Here it is. I stopped by the gun store today. Only had a couple of minutes and the manager that always gives me a deal had a line of customers. So I told him to put it back for me and I'd come back in a day or and talk about it. This will also give more time to think about it make sure it's what I want. I can tell you though, I've pretty much already made my mind up.

Screenshot_20220131-171844_Gallery.jpg

It even has an adjustable comb. I'd be all over it, if it's priced right. I have an Ultra, it just doesn't have an adjustable comb.

All of my Brownings have that rib height making them shoot 70/30. I use them for 5 stand, skeet, and trap and do pretty well. I don't believe I would like a lower ribbed, flatter shooting gun.

Here's a Browning Double Automatic. It's not a classic like a Superposed or A-5 but I think it has a lot of class and it's not something you'll see at the club every day. If you're not familiar with them, look it up. They come with a pretty cool story. I put a few more pictures and a bit of information about it in "The Score" a couple of months ago when I picked it up.

20211019_183236_resized.jpg

20211019_183246.jpg

20211019_183154.jpg

Top Bottom