What's new

ADJUSTABLE APRIL 2024

A terrible shave. Could not figure out what was going on. Cut my self, loads of irritation just bad. I’ve used this razor and blade combo before with no issues. I’ve used the soap no issues. When I was cleaning up and cleaning the razor I saw the problem. These pictures we taken after the shave and I think you will be able to see the issue

IMG_0417.jpeg

IMG_0418.jpeg

Well, I got a little bored and just decided to drag a finger nail on the discoloration on knurling of the Toggle i posted/used earlier today and wouldn't you know, it all came off. Due to the nature of the razor I did not scrub it as vigorously as I generally do and figured the discoloration was something I was going to have to live with. Looks so much nicer now.
1713313160784.png

Adjustable April 24 - Shave 17

Renox Rasoir
Wizamet SI
Rubberset 400 / Declaration B14
River Valley trading - Yuka-Lyptik
Master Soap Creation - Betty Bets Splash

This Renox rasoir goes back to the 1930's and was one of the early French adjustables. The base plate moves across like the Shield that I used yesterday (HERE) except that this utilizes an offset cam which is a more elegant way of doing the adjustment. It also does not have any graduations anywhere so repeatability is also a problem.

Its a very mild to medium shaver and is nowhere near as aggressive as the Shield in the extreme position.

sotd240417.jpg

AA ‘24

The Taiga open comb. Really a nice and very comfortable shave with plenty of efficiency for me as long as it’s above 2.5. Below that, I don’t get much cutting action. The open comb just adds another dimension to an already excellent razor and I actually think it’s a better shaver that feels smoother to my skin. Of course, that’s a ymmv thing.

Great shaves to all…

F68553E5-5D20-4712-934A-CC3FA3E4897E.jpeg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Sunday 20240414
366 Shaves in 2024: 105 of 105 = 100%
Adjustable April 2024
Synthetic Sunday
Vintage April 2024
Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable (Setting = 5)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (1 shave, 2 passes)

Monday 20240415
366 Shaves in 2024: 106 of 106 = 100%
Adjustable April 2024
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (2 shaves, 4 passes)

Tuesday 20240416
366 Shaves in 2024: 107 of 107 = 100%
Adjustable April 2024
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (3 shaves, 6 passes)

Wednesday 20240417
366 Shaves in 2024: 108 of 108 = 100%
Adjustable April 2024
Vintage April 2024
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (4 shaves, 8 passes)
20240414_113827~2.jpg

Brush: AP Shave Co White (AP Shave Co 26mm G5C Fan)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Haslinger Schafmilch
Aftershave: RazoRock The Stallion

Superb 2-pass shaves!

Please visit My Journal for shave notes.

AA 24 Shave 18

Gibbs Reglable
Wizamet SI
Black Eagle (once of) with a Pre-tied Badger
Master Soap Creations - Vintage Lapidus Soap and Splash

Those that have seen a lot of my posts know that either this or my other converted Gibbs are my desert island razors.

This one was the first one that I converted to take non-modified blades. It was done during the first lockdown and between this and the second converted one, they are by far my most used razors.
I think thats Nuff-Said....

Have an marvelous Thursday everyone.

sotd240418.jpg

After the terrible shave and breakage of my razor, I took a couple days to heal my face and went with a razor that as of right now would be my deserted island

Razor:63’ Aristocrat on 7
Blade:personna CC
Soap: Nobel Otter Neon Sun
Brush: Chisel & Hound
Bowl: CaYuen Diablo.

First time using the Neon Sub croap I’m a fan

IMG_0435.jpeg

AA ‘24

The T2 in Gunmetal Chrome. Installed a fresh KAI blade and proceeded forward with 3 easy passes that produced a superb BBS finish. The B&M soap was just as good providing excellent protection with a Fig scent that I can’t get enough of. A shame that this was a limited release and I was lucky enough to find this set brand new off of the b/s/t forum. In the end just a great shave.

Great shaves to all…

31A6ACDD-8553-4D70-842F-3DB0E934BE59.jpeg

full

This one was the first one that I converted to take non-modified blades.
Wow, you cut off the sides then welded another plate on top, then drilled holes through the top cap?
I'm not sure I would be brave and handy enough to pull that off. 😅

The blade punching works great for me on the stiffer blades, but more flexible ones cause me some headaches.
I'll try just trimming the edges next time, I received plastic blade holders from Black-Tie that should keep the blade in place.

Gibbs Micro Réglable (ref.9) • Perma-Sharp
Wickham 1912 Magnum • RazoRock Plissoft
IMG_20240419_061520417.jpg

This particular razor is dear to my heart as it arrived totally seized up and it's innards caked with what appeared to be congealed vegetable oil!

Fortunately it is designed to come apart. Unfortunately not to the degree that I - in my ignorance - managed, which broke it down into all of its constituent parts. Suffice to say that putting it together again took several rather fraught hours involving the delicate positioning inside the barrel of a fragile-looking plastic compression clip. I've seldom been more relieved than when it finally all clicked back into place! I can also say that it is now spotlessly clean!

I absolutely love the shave from this - way better than the original Gibbs adjustable for me, but only at the highest settings. And of course it takes regular blades. Maximum 6 for the first pass, 5 thereafter, and a gorgeous, silky smooth close shave that's left my face feeling fabulous.

Top Bottom