What's new

Adding topping to your pipe tobacco

Anyone ever "TOP" thier tobacco? I'm thinking a light spritz of honey & scotch and let soak a few weeks. What do you all think?

Last week I took a few flakes of SG FVF and a few flakes of HH old dark fired, put them in their own zip lock with a half cap to each of Kracken spiced rum. Let them set for a four days in the fridge (they soaked all the rum up), took them out and air dried for half a day and now each are resting, waiting for the right opportunity to try it.

I think if I like it and were to do it again, I would dry the tobacco out slightly (as if preparing to smoke it) before adding rum.

I've heard of spritzing with scotch to re-hydrate dried 'baccy, so I assume it would be good for a topping. I would second Moe's advice to let it dry out a little first, so you don't over saturate it.

Added a little Balvenie 12 Doublewood to some Burley Blend. Threw it in the fridge. Going on a little hunting expedition this weekend, may break it out then.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
If you let your baccy dry a bit first, you might mix in a small amount of shisha. (hookah tobacco mixture) A good one to try would be Al Fakher brand, Double Apple flavor. Be sure to remove the stems so it doesn't pack funny in your pipe. You can chop it finer with scissors or a SE blade. The shisha is very wet, purposely so, so in a hookah it vaporizes rather than burns. After blending, you will want to let it sit for several days so the moisture spreads consistently throughout the end result. Shisha typically in addition to Middle Eastern tobaccos, has dried fruit bits and peels, juices and flavorings, honey, molasses, and sometimes a trace of glycerine to help retain moisture. Hookah smokers often squeeze out excess juice before loading their appliance, so the syrupy leftovers would be good for flavoring or moistening pipe tobacco, as well.

Then again, you could always smoke your hookah tobacco in a hookah... just sayin. A very relaxing experience. You owe it to yourself to try it some time. Most large cities and all cities with a sizeable Middle Eastern population, have at least one hookah lounge or café, so you can try it without buying the hookah and all the associated paraphernalia and supplies. A bowl generally lasts a couple of hours and typically costs around $15, plus your tea or coffee or whatever.

Top Bottom