What's new

Acquisitions March 30 - April 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had bought a 5.00 brush and a puck of soap on a whim, at a shop that my wife and I go to once a year in Salado Tx to get our yearly supply of Goats Milk Soaps. I loved the difference the lather made. After looking around on the internet, I found a whole new hobby. At the time, I did not know it was the "New thing" to do, I just thought it would be fun and I've always liked antiques and I had used DE's in the early 70's. This was my first real purchase and it’s still my go to DE. It gives a great shave!
full

Last edited by a moderator:
Grandpa's (RIP) Gillette Knack sitting in the attic for over 30 years.

I never did meet him, but I'm guessing he acheived decent shaves judging by his knack's effortless performance.

Mine was a Gillette Tech (thick handled british variety) in near mint condition with bakelite box and blade holders. £5.19 from ebay... not quite in the same league as Henrique's find but I still love it.

Mine was a Gillette Tech (thick handled british variety) in near mint condition with bakelite box and blade holders. £5.19 from ebay... not quite in the same league as Henrique's find but I still love it.

Very nice. And a complete set, also.

:smile: In all fairness I should have mentioned that in the same day I also bought a british tech..... exactly at the same time, since the sellers were side-by-side. Lucky me because the #66 wasn't in display...

I rediscovered wetshaving and decided to look for some razors around a year and a half ago. I went to a small antique store where the owner sold me a box of 20 razors for 20.00 dollars. It had a couple adjustables and several superspeeds. After picking out what I wanted I sold the rest on E-Bay. That score allowed me to not have to spend any money for several months. I then found another box that contained a fatboy,aristocrat,several other razors and one semi rare razor that sold for more than I paid for the entire box. Selling those razors kept me in the black until I found B+B and discovered straights.:biggrin:

Oh right my first score was a english made knack I picked up at the local wall mart when I was 17. Was about 8 yrs ago

There was a guy there restocking them, he saw me pick it up and said "That will shave the crap out of you". I was sold, he then told me that I had to be careful and told me a story about how he once was in a rush in the morning and cut himself horribly bad under the neck. He still had the scar he and he showed me it. None of this bothered me at, all I was just thinking this think does shave the crap out of you.

:001_smile

Ahh... My first wetshave...
I bought a Merkur Vision 2000 set. Brush, Vision Razor, with matching bowl and stand. Along with that I also got TOBS Lavender SC. Recently sold the set and no longer have the TOBS, but I did replace the Vision with another :). Sentimental, I know.

After discovering B&B? My first razor purchase (I think) was a Fatboy E2.

picture.php

My first blade, and it just came today! Its a Boker I got on ebay ready to shave. It has a small spot of tarnish near the tip clear of the edge. Otherwise it is in great condition. The guy I bought it from was great, and he offered me plenty of advice.

So many razors, but my first was a Merkur HD from ebay. Had been used just 3 or 4 times by someone that tried wet shaving and gave up quickly (bless them that purchase new and quit).
One of the few DEs I still have. Its in my Dopp kit for travel.

The first razor I bought was a Merkur 38C.

Funny, my original plan was 38C, 42C, 34C, either HD slant or Barber pole slant and that was going to be it.

I haven't bought a slant yet, but I seem to have a big lotta Gillettes that kept turning up in my mailbox.

I went pretty big on my first score. :001_smile

Dovo 5/8 Ebony Silver Steel (honed by Lynn)
Tony Miller Beginner's strop
C&E BBB
T&H Luxury soap
Castle Forbes Preshave
Castle Forbes Lavender balm
Pinaud's Clubman splash

Ahhh the memories...

Last edited:
Nice! do you still use all the items?

Everything but the Dovo. I sold it a while back to finance another purchase. I decided I like a little heavier grinds (for now).

It's funny, the BBB was my only brush until a short while ago. That thing's a tank! And I just love the strop, the T&H, and the CF Lavender (my all-time favorite lav scent). The CF Pre is pretty good, but crazily overpriced IMO.

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot the Pinaud's Clubman splash! That was part of that first score as well. And still one of my all-time faves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom