What's new

Acquisitions for December 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
As always you're supposed to save the best for last. So I did. At least I think so but you may disagree. We'll see. Just today I happened upon these specimens. It's quite a story but to save you the details here is what I found at a local "antique book " shop. Go figure? Now I showed the little Corn razor before,, but this was part of the package deal. The Robeson Shure Edge,, the Morley and Sons Corn razor and the Gold Edge.
and to tell the truth I almost missed the Double Duck except for a quick glance where it caught my eye in the very back of a drawer.
The owner admitted she had researched the values of these blades though there weren't any prices on them. I offered her $50.00 for the three of them and she said "Sure,, that's fine"
I Damned near fell over. The Double Duck is So Fine! the only faults I see are where the razor has been opened and closed. No hone wear, not a single crack in the scales ( actually there is still burrs along the edges of the casts) No rust. What you see is what I saw when I opened the box as my knees were about to buckle.

Attachments

• $IMG_9647.JPG
    $IMG_9647.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 584
  • $IMG_9648.JPG
    $IMG_9648.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 584
  • $IMG_9650.JPG
    $IMG_9650.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 585
  • $IMG_9653.JPG
    $IMG_9653.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 588
  • $IMG_9656.JPG
    $IMG_9656.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 587
And the inside of the scales are absolutely spotless,,,, same as the Gold on the spine. You've got to be kidding me.
You know,, I'll bet I could nearly double my investment with this razor alone!

Ha!!!! I'm still giddy over this one. I've seen 'em with rust,, cracked scales,, missing gold and they're pushing 3 times my cost on all three pieces. Sometimes the Razor Gods smile on me.

Attachments

• $IMG_9657.JPG
    $IMG_9657.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 587
  • $IMG_9659.JPG
    $IMG_9659.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 584
Last edited:
Oops,, as I was putting everything back I realized I missed these three additions from the recent past. Now I think I have all the injectors. The earliest one,, the brass in the box ( don't let the photo fool you, the brass is perfect) , the silver plate and the solid silver.

Attachments

• $IMG_9665.JPG
    $IMG_9665.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 585
Hey,, one razor or a dozen,,,, the all make me giddy! The Gold Edge though for me is just over the top. I can't believe I stumbled on this one. It was such a fluke. And I was just admiring them on the bay last night. Lo and behold didn't I find one today.

And since I found all these toys I needed some supplies to lay in for the winter months as well. This is only partial of what I got. Here you see the essentials and not shown ( I'm getting tired at this point, but the best is yet to come) are Speick cream and the AS, Irish Moos, Alt Insbruck, and others along with the Trumpers Spanish Leather, Musgo Real, Tabac soap and the AS, D.R Harris's Marlborough and the Arlington ( I put them in these neat little glass containers which I bought 8 of which stack and keep the soaps nicely with a tight fitting lid. I just cut out the logo and tape them to the top) As well as a few other sticks and such.

I'm drooling over this picture again and again when I see Mitchell's Wool Fat in it, mycarver. Definitely one in my 'Quest for DE buying list'. ; )

My latest score off the bay. 5 razors for $6.50. 2 were junk. The other three were W&B Celebrated, a like new Cases Ace hammered and blued tang, and the gold mine of the whole lot is a c1826-1850 W. Greaves and Sons "American Razor". The eagle on the blade is almost worn off but the american razor etched on top is in fantastic shape. Here's some bad pics.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Here are my December finds! (I actually got the 8/8" W&B FBU and Goldenedge last weekend.)
I got a wonderedge, and a 15/16" Wostenholm butcher. I also scored a towel warmer ($10)The towel came out piping hot, and a NIB hot water kettle ($3). The towel warmer will feel great after a shave, and the kettle will keep the soap in my Dirty Bird scuttle HOT!!
I find it odd that I would find 2 very similar razor finds in less than a week. I have only found 1 other affordable DD ever!
I have that exact kettle! Nice scores.

Got a couple cased fat boys (one of 'em is absolutely immaculate), two large W&B straights, a sweet joseph elliot with flower washers, a very old joseph wonsteholm straight and some old DE blades.

Attachments

• $DSCN4687.jpg
    $DSCN4687.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 543
  • $DSCN4689.jpg
    $DSCN4689.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 542
  • $DSCN4690.jpg
    $DSCN4690.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 545
  • $DSCN4691.jpg
    $DSCN4691.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 543
  • $DSCN4692.jpg
    $DSCN4692.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 543
I stopped at a small antique store today and picked up a few things...
Gillette adjustable no serials a little brassing on the twist to open end.
Shave brush green wooden handle,aluminum ring marked rubberset ,made in usa,sterilized.blonde stiff bristle about 1 1/2 inches long.
Chrome shave stick tube with an almost complete soap stick in it marked rasierseife Kaloderma.
The items were marked for a total of 25 dollars .I offered 20 and was accepted.
They have a Shulton OS mug and a generic brush for 12 dollars ,I'll get that after the end of the year if it's still there.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Well, after some two and a half months wait, my Two-band Thaeter SRP LE 2011 arrived here yesterday. Its a big knot, 27 mm with a loft of low to mid 50's (would have liked this one with 50 mm loft, though). The handle is actually quite ergonomic, but not a looker - a modern take on the Polo shape I guess. Gets its maiden shave today.

Attachments

• $Thaeter Zweiband SRP 2011.jpg
    $Thaeter Zweiband SRP 2011.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 509
Today i got an Ever-Ready 100T brush. Some old Avon aftershaves with boxes and a talc jar that i will use as a soap container.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Been wanting a Kimber for a long time now but just couldn't justify the price of a new one. Finally a used one showed up on a local classifieds website. Its a compact custom. Went shooting sunday morning and I have to say the reputation Kimber has for quality and accuracy is well deserved.

Attachments

• $DSCN4710.jpg
    $DSCN4710.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 442
  • $DSCN4713.jpg
    $DSCN4713.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 443
  • $DSCN4715.jpg
    $DSCN4715.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 439
  • $DSCN4708serial removed.jpg
    $DSCN4708serial removed.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 437
Been wanting a Kimber for a long time now but just couldn't justify the price of a new one. Finally a used one showed up on a local classifieds website. Its a compact custom. Went shooting sunday morning and I have to say the reputation Kimber has for quality and accuracy is well deserved.

Very nice. I have a Springfield 1911. I like it but I would love to have a Kimber. I like that type of sight that is on the Kimber. Compared to the one that is on mine the types like the Kimber has is easier for me to get on target with.

The 2 Two-band Thäter SRP 2011 LE brushes came in. The tips are really soft with absolutely no scritch, but with nice backbone. Like Rudy, I would also have liked the loft set a little lower on the fan.

$DSC01145.jpg

$DSC01149.jpg

A couple of Ever-Readys for me, the Featherweight was a local find for £5, the cased Jewell came from eBay, a Buy It Now of £12.99.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom