What's new

Abalone shell

Has anyone used Abalone shell for scales?
I've seen synthetic abalone, but I might be able to get my hands on some real abalone shell.

I assume one would need a fairly large one to be a piece flat enough to be usable.

Is this feasible, or will I be limited to using is for inlay?

Legion

Staff member
I don't think abalone would be big enough. The mother of pearl razor scales are made from those huge clams, I believe.

Depending on the species, they don't grow big enough to make a set of scales just out of the shell. The shells can be polished and pieces or chips set into resin. I have not seen abalone scales, only pictures, but I would think that is how they are made.

Some abalones have more decorative shells than others. Some of the NZ paua abalone shells are very decorative, yet most Channel Island abalone shells seem to be underwhelming as far as their decorative qualities are concerned.

The stuff that you see on scales from the custom makers is usually ALVS-- acrylic laminated shell veneer. I believe they're resin coated and usually backed with a solid color to bring out the color and beauty of the shell. Masecraft sells it. I'm sure others do too.

I can probably get my hands on some 6"+ Tasmanian abalone shells...similar to NZ Paua.

I'll look into that laminated veneer technique...or I'll use it for inlay.
Either way, I'll make something nice from it!

Top Bottom