What's new

A Very Truly Really Stupid Question

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Might I make a recommendation for your post shave?

71x+3UzZ0bL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
I never shave without it. Zero sting, great soothe!

Witch hazel is a classic splash after a shave. Traditionally in an alcohol solution but available in just water.

I use plain Dickinson's or a plain generic alcohol type myself, more than any other AS splash or balm. My internet reading indicates that almost all witch hazel originates at the same single distillery, though many brands then add scents and other ingredients.

Now I have a question. Should I use aftershave, or aftershave balm, or both, and, if both, in what order?

It really depends on what your skin wants, which could vary depending on a whole range of factors including stuff like weather and diet. Sometimes, nothing at all is the right option.

Personally, I like an alcohol splash with a bit of glycerine or allantonin for the skin conditioning effect. Balms might help if your skin tends on the dry side, although I usually find they make shaving irritation worse, rather than better. After a rough shave, witch hazel or the Lucky Tiger suggested above both provide a bit of relief without too much sting!

Why not grab some Nivea balm, Proraso Green splash and plain witch hazel, then you have all the options you need? I am not a big balm person at all and a bottle lasts me years, but even then it's still worth having on hand for the odd use, so I think even if you decide you greatly prefer one option over the others, it won't be money wasted.

I really liked my FIRST EVER shave with a brush and soap. I painted my face with the Arko stick, and the brush made lather all over like magic. It was my best shave yet.

I also decided that my sensitive skin and face irritation is probably what made me dislike shaving for my whole life, so I think I will pursue a COMFORTABLE shave rather than the close shave. I did only two passes, one with the Rockwell R3 plate followed by a second pass with the R1 plate.

Now I have a question. Should I use aftershave, or aftershave balm, or both, and, if both, in what order?

This forum is a gold mine.

MtB
Fantastic shave by the sound of it! Very cool! Yes a good soap and lather does make a big difference. I agree that a comfortable shave is what you need to aim for and especially as you are learning the inns and outs of DE shaving. Once you have a number of shaves under your belt you can experiment a bit and see if you can make it closer. You will have some successes where it is closer with not added irritation and you will have some where it adds an unexpectable amount of irritation and you learn what works and does not work.

To @JKaboom's point what you use post shave is up to you. An alcohol based aftershave will give you a bit of a sting whereas a non-alcohol on will not. However, many use the amount of sting as an indicator of how much irritation they have. Same thing goes for the use of an alum block. There are those who will use an aftershave balm and then after a bit of time add an alcohol based aftershave. The options here are many. Personally I apply alum block right after my cold water rinse of my face, following the shave. Then I let it sit maybe 30-60 seconds rinse that off and then apply an alcohol based aftershave. If I am feeling that I have a fair amount of irritation I will use an aftershave balm instead. You work out what works for you. I am sure you will modify it several times before you hit your stride. Happy shaves!

Thanks everybody. I love the advice I'm getting. It's like having a map when you're driving lost, or not quite lost but with only a hazy notion of where you are.

Wet shave number 8 this morning...I used Pacific Shaving Co. Natural (used way too much--it says right on the tube that a little goes a long way) whipped up in the new bowl, and, get this, a Gillette Tech. I got attracted to the Tech via pictures in an eBay auction by "Got Rad Shaving," and I bought one by finding a little-used "Travel Kit" on eBay (for $5.99! I just figured those travel kits probably got very little use back in the day) and adding the Razor Emporium replica handle. I figured this morning I would just take a few swipes with it on my cheeks to see what it felt like, before returning to the Rockwell.

...Which I never did. Finished off the shave with the Tech. And it was extremely pleasant. Never felt like I was going to nick myself (and I didn't), and it gave me a very nice, close 'n' comfortable shave! And the little razor (it is wee next to the Rockwell) was very handy and--I think this is your term--"nimble." The angle felt natural.

I think I could live with just the Tech long-term!

...Of course I shouldn't say things like that, on wet shave No. 8. :cool:

MtB

This might be a very dumb question, and I do beg your pardon. I'm a rank beginner--wet shave No. 5 just this morning. I'm not trying to be provocative. I'm getting the impression that shaving connoisseurs tend to be generous and cordial people. I got so many helpful and thoughtful replies on my first thread.

And I do understand (or think I understand) connoisseurship...at various periods in my lengthening life I have been deep in the weeds with: tube amplifiers and vinyl records; Japanese bookbinding; large-format field cameras (the kind made of wood and brass, with leather bellows, used on a tripod with a dark cloth over one's head); and roasting my own green coffee beans at home (best ever: a friend on the Big Island who is a grower of Kona would ship me green 100% Kona beans. Most of the "Kona" that tourists get in hotels and restaurants in Hawaii is 10% or 15% Kona at best).

But...with DE razors, why don't at least some people just use commercial shaving cream like Gillette Foamy? It's so...easy. And it seems to work fine with my Rockwell. I mean, just making ignorant assumptions, I would think there would at least be a subgroup here that would be using DE or SE razors without all the rigamarole of the soaps and the bowls and the brushes and so forth. Wouldn't it simplify things? (I do have a brush and bowl on the way.)

Then again, I haven't *tried* soaps/bowls/brushes yet, so maybe this is merely a case of "contempt prior to investigation" (although I don't have "contempt" for it).

Cordially,
MtB
I’m right there with ya. I started using a safety razor a few weeks ago and only used Edge Gel applied by hand and no other products). Then, like you, I read a lot about the “proper” way to use a safety razor (and watched plenty of YouTube videos). As a result, I purchased the full fleet of Proraso products - preshave, shaving cream, aftershave, alum bar, brush, etc. I can honestly tell you that my shave is NOT in any way better using these products and, in some ways, it made the experience worse.

Maybe some people have finicky skin and they honestly do get a better shave with all the products, but I’m certainly not in that camp. I tried it. I made the small investment. I have a cluttered bathroom countertop now because of it.

If it even marginally improved my shave, I’d continue with all those products but they provide zero value to me if I’m honest with myself. I’ll try this formal ritual a few more times before I go back to ordinary cream in a can (and nothing else), but I’m not hopeful. I don’t even like the smell of Proraso! It smells funky and “old”.

You can use the Gillette shaving foam with a DE razor. Here is a funny story. Before I discovered DE razors I used to shave with the Gillette Fusion (booooooo!!!!!) and I used the crap from the can which was horrible. The Fusion carts are horrible, way too expensive and they would ruin my face. When I had my first DE shave I gave all my Fusion carts to my brother, I forgot about the shaving foam. Somehow it ended up behind my washing machine. I found it a couple years later and decided to give it a try with a DE razor. It did workout very well but I think the DE razor made a huge difference. I wouldn't use the canned goo for a couple reasons:

1: the smell, it smells so chemical. I never liked those kind of smells
2: it has tons of chemicals
3: you can't beat the traditional soaps and creams, they smell much better, they are way cheaper in comparison to that crap in a can
4: there is a ton of different shaving soaps and creams you can buy
5: brushing up the soap is a part of the process so yeah.

This might be a very dumb question, and I do beg your pardon. I'm a rank beginner--wet shave No. 5 just this morning. I'm not trying to be provocative. I'm getting the impression that shaving connoisseurs tend to be generous and cordial people. I got so many helpful and thoughtful replies on my first thread.

And I do understand (or think I understand) connoisseurship...at various periods in my lengthening life I have been deep in the weeds with: tube amplifiers and vinyl records; Japanese bookbinding; large-format field cameras (the kind made of wood and brass, with leather bellows, used on a tripod with a dark cloth over one's head); and roasting my own green coffee beans at home (best ever: a friend on the Big Island who is a grower of Kona would ship me green 100% Kona beans. Most of the "Kona" that tourists get in hotels and restaurants in Hawaii is 10% or 15% Kona at best).

But...with DE razors, why don't at least some people just use commercial shaving cream like Gillette Foamy? It's so...easy. And it seems to work fine with my Rockwell. I mean, just making ignorant assumptions, I would think there would at least be a subgroup here that would be using DE or SE razors without all the rigamarole of the soaps and the bowls and the brushes and so forth. Wouldn't it simplify things? (I do have a brush and bowl on the way.)

Then again, I haven't *tried* soaps/bowls/brushes yet, so maybe this is merely a case of "contempt prior to investigation" (although I don't have "contempt" for it).

Cordially,
MtB
Furthest from a dumb question. I'm using Proraso canned and since Foamy is back to its original scent with add that too.

Update from OP:

Pretty fired up about this solution so far! I do understand that it's not in line with most enthusiasts' interests.

—MtB

Witch hazel is a classic splash after a shave. Traditionally in an alcohol solution but available in just water.

I use plain Dickinson's or a plain generic alcohol type myself, more than any other AS splash or balm. My internet reading indicates that almost all witch hazel originates at the same single distillery, though many brands then add scents and other ingredients.
I have used Dickinson’s but prefer Thayers. Although Dickinson’s is cheaper to buy.

I am also a complete novice. I actually first bought the cheapest synthetic brush from Muhle and a puck of their shaving soap first, but continued with my Fusion ProGlide and later my Labs shavers and cartridges. DE Shaving seemed very daunting and a potential daily bloody endeavor for me.

My reason for changing to a brush and soap was that my skin was constantly irritated from the shaving gels and foams I have been using. Some gels and foams were more irritating than others.

After I made the switch, I felt that my skin issues were much better with very little irritation. I canned all my shaving gels and foams.

After a while, I realized that I don't like the results I'm getting with a Labs Shaver and cartridge and bought my first beginner DE shaver.

I'm getting significantly less irritation using a high quality soap, although some soaps do produce a reaction (either because of fragrances or possibly to a lanolin sensitivity), and a good shaver/blade combination. I don't get perfect results as my technique is still lacking, but I'm infinitely happier with my shaves.

Top Bottom