What's new

A Tale Of Two NEW's

M-Swoff....It's great to hear how much you like your NEW SC. You're a better man than I participating in that challenge. Those red and black sets are really really nice....I would like to get a nice one myself one day. You can definitely feel the blade a lot more on the long comb. Just take a really shallow angle and watch yourself around the mouth, upper lip and chin....that's where I usually get bit by it if I'm not paying attention. Way to go also helping out another member. That's what makes B&B great. BTW, when I was working in Tulsa I worked with a girl who's last name was Swafford. Her husbands first name is James. I'm sure no relation, but it's a small world. I just talked to her today in fact.

Skeptic Pencil - thanks for the info on the 2 different English NEW's. I keep hearing such great things about the quality of English razors, the smoothness, etc...so I'm really excited. Also, the one modern razor that really intrigues me is the iKon OC. What I ultimately want is a razor that leaves me with as little cleanup as possible after my 3 passes. Sometimes I feel like I spend as much time doing cleanup as I do my 3 passes. I'm afraid to time it truth be told.....

Steve...the generosity of members here has absolutely blown me away. Some of the nicest and most giving people you ever want to meet. People they way people used to be...the way they're supposed to be. Gentlemen above all else. You've had the chance to try some great razors. I also have the Cadet OC head and it is a bit of a beast isn't it. I've only shaved with it once. The first time I shaved with my NEW LC I thought.....man, this is aggressive, I'm not real sure I like it. Then, I acquired my R41 and shaved with that for a week. After that experience the NEW felt absolutely tame by comparison. Since then....I've been in the NEW camp. You after the Cadet razor seem to be having the same experience. Maybe it takes shaving with something super aggressive to appreciate those more middle of the road aggressive razors. I can't wait to hear how you like the next on you have up.

Thanks to all. I really enjoy the conversation and the opportunity to talk with you all about the NEW. Oh.....hey Alex? Since you're already cooking whip me up a Pastrami on Rye with spicy mustard and sauerkraut. You're very deft with a chef's knife for a machine. I'll PayPal you whatever your asking price is.

***edit*** I checked Texas law and as long as I'm holding my gun in one hand, I can shout GNU GNU GNU as much as I want....perfectly legal. Nothing like the sight of a guy in his underwear holding a Sig (and carrying an extra 25lbs) shouting in the middle of the night. Only in Texas would that be acceptable.

Last edited:

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Jeff; You're right about Texas law; It turns out Wyoming is the same and a Sig is definitely on the approved list. I qualified with a Colt 1911 45. Maybe DrAwkward (if he hasn't already) can start a thread and list the GNU members. And if you end up in Colorado I'm sure you membership is transferable. Did you mean 25 lbs or 25 rounds?

Last edited:
Jeff; You're right about Texas law; It turns out Wyoming is the same and a Sig is definitely on the approved list. I qualified with a Colt 1911 45. Maybe DrAwkward (if he hasn't already) can start a thread and list the GNU members. And if you end up in Colorado I'm sure you membership is transferable. Did you mean 25 lbs or 25 rounds?

I meant the extra 25lbs that my belt is currently supporting...unfortunately. That is another project entirely.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
I meant the extra 25lbs that my belt is currently supporting...unfortunately. That is another project entirely.

Don't feel bad at all; Pneumonia 2 months in a row turned me into a couch potato some years ago. I've got about 80 more lbs. to go after losing 30. Was lean all my life before that. Anyway, do you know if DrAwkward has made a list of GNU members?

Don't feel bad at all; Pneumonia 2 months in a row turned me into a couch potato some years ago. I've got about 80 more lbs. to go after losing 30. Was lean all my life before that. Anyway, do you know if DrAwkward has made a list of GNU members?

Too bad you did not have GNU-monia, it is much better than pneumonia!

There is a short GNU thread here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359924-What-is-your-favorite-Gillette-NEW

Feel free to jump in with some pictures/comments on that thread.

I have declared myself a GNU member (some that know me say I'm just a member, but that's a different story! :lol:) Although I realize I need to add Uber-Fan to my signature with the neat little .. above my U. I'll figure that one out at home tonight. I would like to see a list of GNU members. Perhaps I'll create a spreadsheet this weekend. I'll need a project as my wife is not feeling well again, so we'll be hanging out at home.

M-swaff - I can relate. I was a bit chunky as a kid (husky was the word back then). Then in high school and college I got myself into shape, running and eating better. Then real life set in. Working at a desk all day. Then getting married. Then all the cooking and dinner parties and holiday parties. I slowly put on 20lbs or so over the years. Then I hurt my back in 06'. Fell down a flight of stairs. Nerve damage in my feet. Constant leg pain. Running is almost out of the question. I'm 6' and at 20 I was 165lbs....really a little light. Now I am about 220 give or take. I'd be happy to be back under 200. We all have our crosses to bear as we get older and our bodies just don't work the way they used to. What happened to all the "modern medicine" that was supposed to set us free?

Last edited:
I have a NEW long comb. Can someone comment on the difference between the short and long comb? I've seen photos of the actual difference. But what is the perceived difference in how they shave, desirability, aggressiveness, rareness, anything.

I got a great shave with that long comb, really like it. And I'm trying to decide if I lucked out or if I might like the short comb even more.

Why did they make both?

... What happened to all the "modern medicine" that was supposed to set us free?
Heh... if you ask me, modern is what's killing us. I'm a firm believer that we're doing it to ourselves and the changes me and my family have made to our diet seems to reinforce that. Nothing complicated just simple stuff, but it can be difficult in our convenience-driven society.

Sorry for the thread-jack. The razors sound great. When I get some more shaves under my belt I'd like to expand beyond the SS I have and see what else is out there.

I have a NEW long comb. Can someone comment on the difference between the short and long comb? I've seen photos of the actual difference. But what is the perceived difference in how they shave, desirability, aggressiveness, rareness, anything.

I got a great shave with that long comb, really like it. And I'm trying to decide if I lucked out or if I might like the short comb even more.

Why did they make both?

Well having shaved a few times with both, the main difference to me is in the aggression and the amount of "blade" you feel on your skin. To me and my skin, the short comb is a bit milder and a bit smoother. Not to say that the LC is a monster, I just have to pay attention a little more closely. Again, for me, the short comb resulted in the same efficiency of shave as the LC, but with more smoothness and forgiveness to lapses in technique. I've also shaved with the New Standard short comb, and it was not quite as smooth as the regular NEW, but not bad either.

I believe fewer of the short combs were made, and I can't really tell you why. I think the LC was just something that was "in" at the time they were produced. There are others who know far more than me. You do get a different shave from the two, so I suspect that is why the two different styles as well. It seems that for the amount of time I've been looking long combs outnumber short combs 10-1 or so. That's just my number, so take it for what it's worth. Someone here knows nearly the exact manufacturing count of both....if they happen to stop in.

Heh... if you ask me, modern is what's killing us. I'm a firm believer that we're doing it to ourselves and the changes me and my family have made to our diet seems to reinforce that. Nothing complicated just simple stuff, but it can be difficult in our convenience-driven society.

Sorry for the thread-jack. The razors sound great. When I get some more shaves under my belt I'd like to expand beyond the SS I have and see what else is out there.

Heath - we are looking a doing the same thing shortly. My wife has an auto imune disease and we need to get on a specific diet to help her feel better. It involves a lot of organic things, no wheat or corn (she's alergic to wheat anyhow). It's basically lean meats and fresh veggies and as much as possible organic, grass fed, you know. Limited dairy and nuts too. I though limiting nuts was odd. They are supposed to be a good source of alternate protien, fiber and good oil. I am going to eat the same way she does out of support for her and support for my food budget. It doesn't make sense to shop for two different diets.

However, I think you are right. All the additives, preservatives and junk in our modern diet are making us sick and affecting our gene pool...I think anyhow. That's a discussion for a different thread.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
There is a short GNU thread here:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/359924-What-is-your-favorite-Gillette-NEW

Feel free to jump in with some pictures/comments on that thread.
Good thread DrAwkward. Those of you who haven't seen it, check it out. I started a thread to try to find out which is more common; LC or SC. It didn't last very long. In the meantime it seems I can (sort of) conclude that: 1. LC are more common. 2. There are no "Made In England" short combs. I also recall reading somewhere that Gillette made some 3 million Goodwills; a variation of the LC NEW. 3. It seems both LC & SC are great shavers; some prefer one over the other. I would like to know more about numbers. etc.

Well having shaved a few times with both, the main difference to me is in the aggression and the amount of "blade" you feel on your skin. To me and my skin, the short comb is a bit milder and a bit smoother. Not to say that the LC is a monster, I just have to pay attention a little more closely. Again, for me, the short comb resulted in the same efficiency of shave as the LC, but with more smoothness and forgiveness to lapses in technique. I've also shaved with the New Standard short comb, and it was not quite as smooth as the regular NEW, but not bad either.

<snip>

^ - what he said. I recently shaved with a USA-made NEW SC and a USA-made LC on successive days. The SC felt wonderful and made me wonder why I had ever tried any other razor after first picking one up. Then I shaved with the LC, which was noticeably more aggressive and less forgiving. Still a very easy razor to use, in my book. The difference for me was the quality of the shave. In that department, the LC really delivered noticeably superior results.
Today, I shaved with a UK-made NEW LC (raised flat bottom) with a iKon bulldog handle (a set-up that I use often). My lather was sub-par (pilot error), but the shave was excellent. For me, it is almost as forgiving as the USA SC while delivering the shave quality of a USA LC (or better, if I don't screw up the lather).

Darn it all. I haven't even received my English LC NEW and now I have to start looking for a raised flat bottom verion. Doc, you are killing me. The comfort of the SC with the efficiency of the LC? Why would you ever shave with anything else?

I didn't notice as much difference in the efficiency between the short and long as Doc mentioned, but I do not have as many shaves under my belt as Doc, so if he says it, it's true when it comes to NEW's. I guess I am going to have to just hunt up one of every baseplate type to figure this out for myself. Damn this is fun....and aggrivation.:blink:

Darn it all. I haven't even received my English LC NEW and now I have to start looking for a raised flat bottom verion. Doc, you are killing me. The comfort of the SC with the efficiency of the LC? Why would you ever shave with anything else?

I didn't notice as much difference in the efficiency between the short and long as Doc mentioned, but I do not have as many shaves under my belt as Doc, so if he says it, it's true when it comes to NEW's. I guess I am going to have to just hunt up one of every baseplate type to figure this out for myself. Damn this is fun....and aggrivation.:blink:

Well, RAD demands that you find out for yourself, but I have heard from others that the round pin UK NEW (yours) and the raised flat bottom NEW (mine) are very similar.

I thought that all British long comb News shaved similarly . . . if I am wrong then I guess it's back to buying even more!

I thought that all British long comb News shaved similarly . . . if I am wrong then I guess it's back to buying even more!

You and me both Tepp. I now want one of each. On the topic of NEW's in general, I had another great shave this evening with my Goodwill. I am going to stop the every day or two rotating of razors for just a bit and work on dialing in the SC NEW. So far it has been the smoothest razor of the NEW's. I tried it with a brand new blade to me, which isn't always the best thing to do when trying out new hardware, but it worked out. I am going to finish the Polisilver SI I have in it and then load up a GSB and see how many decent shaves I get out of it before a blade change.

I may start shaving in the evening too. I am not a morning person by nature and now that it get's light so late in the morning it's even harder for me. Since I am more alert at night perhaps it will help the quality of my shaves. My only issue is by the end of the day my feet, which I have nerve damage in, are usually ready for a break. I'll have to see how they handle standing in the shower at the end of the day. I suppose it will just be a matter of adjusting. I also need to evaluate how much growth I have come morning. I really like to look neatly groomed at work, especially when wearing my dress business trousers and shirts. Casual days I can sometimes live with a day's growth, but I like to set an example as a manager. Not that many younger people today really notice. Sometimes it amazes me what they consider "business casual". More like "business disaster", or "business grunge". I guess that just means I'm getting old.

Heath - we are looking a doing the same thing shortly. My wife has an auto imune disease and we need to get on a specific diet to help her feel better. It involves a lot of organic things, no wheat or corn (she's alergic to wheat anyhow). It's basically lean meats and fresh veggies and as much as possible organic, grass fed, you know. Limited dairy and nuts too. I though limiting nuts was odd. They are supposed to be a good source of alternate protien, fiber and good oil. I am going to eat the same way she does out of support for her and support for my food budget. It doesn't make sense to shop for two different diets.

However, I think you are right. All the additives, preservatives and junk in our modern diet are making us sick and affecting our gene pool...I think anyhow. That's a discussion for a different thread.
Sorry Jeff, I hadn't checked in on this thread for awhile. You're right it's a discussion for another thread but real quick, from what it sounds like you're going to do I think you'll be amazed at how good you feel when following a diet like that. I don't see you mention it specifically, but I suspect avoiding refined sugar is part of it as well. I can tell you that is one of the biggest things I notice having a negative effect on my body when I have bad days and eat things with sugar or corn syrup in them.

It's also amazing to me how much my body is telling me about my diet when I just stop to listen to it. Sort of a lot like my foray into DE shaving, actually. When I slowed down to think about what I was doing and the effects it had I got a lot better at what I was trying to accomplish.

I wish you guys the best and hope it works for you.

Top Bottom