What's new

A newbie jumps in with both feet

Hi everyone,

Well after a month or so of lurking it’s time to come out of the shadows and say hello! Let me start by saying thanks to everyone here for the great reviews, tips, and advice on wet shaving, it’s been a really valuable tool. On the other hand, as they say on one of my other favorite forums, “Welcome and sorry about your wallet!”

A little bit of background, I’m 54 and have shaved my entire life with an electric razor. The last six months or so it’s been an uncomfortable shave and I was thinking it’s about time to purchase a new one. Then low and behold I’m down in Las Vegas for vacation and walk past The Art of Shaving store. Now I’ve never had a professional shave so I thought let’s give it a try. It was a great experience and when I came out from the shave there were all those shave creams, brushes, and all around enticing products. Who could resist, I jumped in and purchase their “starter” kit with a tub of shave cream, the pre-shave oil, a badger brush, and the after-shave balm. Little did I know what I had just started!

The next morning I couldn’t wait to give this a try, I had run out and purchased a Fusion razor (this was before the enlightening information on this forum) and off I went. Turned out to be pretty comfortable and I enjoyed shaving for the first time in a long time. Now I was hooked so turned to the Internet to learn more about wet shaving. That’s when my wallet started to feel the pain. After reading reviews on this and other sites of shaving brushes, different shaving creams, and double edge razors I was off and running with no holding me back.

So a month later where am I, first of all I can’t wait for each new day to experience my shave of the day. The shaves are, for the most part, close and comfortable and my wife says my skin never looked better. The cabinet however is looking a little crowded, here’s what I’ve put together:

Brushes: The AOS Badger brush, a SR 208 pure Badger brush, a T&H Turnback traveler brush, and soon to arrive my new Simpsons Duke 2.

Razors: The Fusion sits unsused in the drawer, I already have a Mach 3 that I used in an emergency once, and joining them are a Mekur HD Classic and a Gillette SuperSpeed DE.

Shave Cream: AOS unscented, Proraso, Trumpers Limes, Taylor Lavender, Nancy Boy, and soon to arrive T&H Rose.

After Shave Balm: AOS and Nancy Boy

And my addition from today, an awesome Moss Scuttle!

So after all of the above, I’m firmly hooked and enjoying each morning. A few thoughts on all of the above. The best purchases to date have been the Moss scuttle, having hot lather in the morning is an unbelievable luxury and seems to make the scents of the shave cream a bit more noticeable. Also the Gillette SuperSpeed is allowing me to get comfortable with a DE razor, the Mekur is nice but with a Feather blade a bit to aggressive for this newbie! I love the Nancy Boy after shave gel, it isn’t as heavy as the AOS After Shave Balm which left my face feeling a bit greasy. As for the shave creams, I enjoy almost all of them, the AOS again leaves my face feeling a bit too oily but it’s certainly should be great in the winter when the skin is a bit drier.

Again, my thanks to all of you for your posts and I’m looking forward to being a contributing member of the group for others.

Jim

Jim,

It sounds like you are well prepared and will have lots to contribute here at B&B. Welcome.

Welcome Jim,

Keep us posted on your progress. Do not be afraid to ask questions and give us your opinions as well.

I confer upon you "advanced newbie" status! Sounds like you are halfway through Chapter 1 already.:biggrin:

Very well done, Jim. I can really appreciate a guy who is willing to approach something new with your kind of committment. Averaging a brush a week ain't too shabby.

Top Bottom