What's new

A Kamisori Chronicle

Ive been wetshaving for about 5 months. I wasn't thinking Id ever be into straights as they simply dont appeal to me aesthetically. All that changed when I saw a kamisori. Since then I started hunting the bay for something I could afford. I ended up with a used kamisori that I dont think was intended for shaving. From my amateur research, I think the kamisori I have right now is for trimming eyebrows and may very well be intended primarily for womens beauty care (on the face!).
Nevertheless, I had it honed by a well respected honemeister and yesterday took it to my face for the first time.

Today was my second shave with it. I took it a bit farther today, shaving both cheeks WTG and XTG and a bit of the mustache area. I mainly used the blade in the traditional fashion with the omote against my skin. For the few strokes I did with the ura I didnt see much of a difference though I felt better using the traditional method. I finished with an Astra in my Psycho Tech

I did find some interesting points about the shaving:

Im right handed so getting to the left side of my face with this blade is tough with a WTG pass. It was much easier to make a XTG pass, more of a WTG/XTG hybrid pass. Im guessing that this is due to the efforts at keeping only one side of the blade against my face.

My lathering technique sucks. I use MWF mostly, sometimes superlathering with TOBS Lavender. With the DE I was able to get away with lather a tad dry, not so with the kamisori. The lack of lubrication was extremely apparent. I took a pass with my DE to compare and it felt like my normal shave. The straight though needed much more slick. I made a second batch of goopy, sour cream like lather and the blade cruised through my whiskers like OJ Simpson at 35mph on the freeway, smooth and nonchalant.

Its going to take tons of practice. I still find myself turning the razor the wrong way when looking in the mirror, I have no idea how I'll ever figure out how to shave my neck much less the chin.

Im not sure how to get some of the angles. I found myself reaching around my head and gently setting the razor on my face only to have my line of sight to the mirror interrupted by a bicep that needs some definition.

So, my shave today was very very nice. A little razor burn near my jawline but otherwise fine. I ended up at the pharmacy looking at the AS selection. I treated myself to a bottle of Royall Bay Rhum and they had a Tweezerman brush which I bought as well.

So far, sooooooooo fun!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Great Journal! It will be interesting to see how a kamisori can be used as a first straight razor.

Now Gentlemen, let's refrain from turning this great journal into a dissertation on the one side vs. two sided use please :)...

I've been seriously thinking about buying one. The price has kept me from buying one. Keep posting and let us know how it's going.

I have one on the way...straight shaving is coming slowly but I am not giving up....I keep reminding SWBO "chicks dig scars"....and it is funny the look she gives me...yea..THAT look

Im not sure how to get some of the angles. I found myself reaching around my head and gently setting the razor on my face only to have my line of sight to the mirror interrupted by a bicep that needs some definition.

So far, sooooooooo fun!

If the "angles" are bothering you - try taping the blade and doing a couple "dry runs." You'll only need to do it once as you'll get there soon enough, but it might make you more comfortable to start.

I like the idea of taping the edge to experiment with different angles, a lot safer than figuring the right angle with a sharp edge on your neck. I see no reason why the Kami would be better only after you use a straight. In fact the smaller blade might actually be easier to maneuver with out the scales to get in the way. I love my two kami, but with the exception of respecting the sharpness of the blade, I see no reason why using one is the best prereq. for using the other.

Just my $.02

$BBFUTO2.jpg
View attachment 216503

There it is, my first straight, futogobana or 'twin flower'. Today was my 3rd shave with the kamisori. I made a much wetter lather this time. A marble sized dollop of TOBS Lavender cream in the bowl and loaded my brush for 1 minute with MWF. Kept adding water til I got a goopy, slick beautiful lather.

Instead of lathering my whole face, I just lathered my right cheek and went WTG and then proceeded to do the same on the left. Again, on my left side I cant get quite reach enough to get a proper WTG (still using only the omote against my skin) so its more of XTG/WTG mixed pass. Worked much better today with the better lather. I felt confident enough to try an XTG pass on the right side. So I lather the cheek again. With my DE, the first XTG pass in ear to mouth. With the kami, getting that reach wasnt going to happen. I went mouth to ear with little, short strokes and it felt fine. Watching the lather crowd up on the blade in my mirror was pretty cool. And the aural feedback is just plain awesome.
On the left side I can get an ear to mouth pass but not a mouth to ear pass. This side went fine as well.
I asked my GF to feel my cheeks and tell me which one was smoother. She thought the left was so I did another WTG pass on the right and then on the left as well. Just having too much fun! As I was pulling my ear and getting a few more strokes on my left cheek, my GF got a little too into my shave. She slapped my *** as she shouted something about this type of shaving being hot. She failed to register that I was holding what may be the sharpest implement in our home against my face.
Luckily there was no cut whatsoever. I gave her a look and before I said anything she apologized and left the bathroom.
All in all an excellent shave. Finished with the DE and a splash of Royall Bay Rhum followed by a little talk with my GF. So far, no nicks, no weepers. Just a close call from an overexcited lover who thought my strop was a dog leash but we can talk about that tomorrow.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Looks like a nice Kamisori to me. How big is it BTW? It looks pretty big to me.

Actually its pretty small

$DSC00959.jpg

I am waiting on another one. The cutting edge on this one is a bit smaller than a DE. The one I am waiting for is more conventional size.

Yesterday and today I repeated the same process of lathering one cheek at a time and going for two passes, WTG and XTG. I was pretty damn nervous yesterday because my girlfriend, (I love her, though her judgement is questionable. shes with me after all!) besides smacking my *** while shaving, thought my strop was a dog leash. She rolled it up, threw it in the truck and went up to the hills with the dogs.
Hmmmm, time for a little shaving gear clinic with my better half! It was an easy mistake as the strop was horsehide that I made myself, just like the dog leashes. Same rivets and everything. So she now knows a bit more about wetshaving than most men of this day and age.
The only other strop I have is a Pike Strop/Hone that was given to me by a friend. It looks fine, a bit dry, but workable. I treated it with Neatsfoot oil and took the blade to it for 150 laps due to the much shortened area. Yesterdays shave seemed to pull a bit so today I was thinking 'Hey, I'll just take it to the hone!' Luckily I restrained myself and tried 200 laps on the strop side.
Very fine shave! My lather has improved so much I cant see how I made this far with Feathers. Lucky I guess.
A few weeks ago I saw the user Earcutter and had no clue where that name would come from. My 2nd pass today let me know. A tiny little slice that stopped bleeding before I could apply the styptic. And my GF didnt even have to spank me!

So far so good! I ordered a cheap strop from Larry at whipped dog and a balsa strop. Im not to into spending a lot on a strop but I'll spend 200 on my next kami, go figure. Anyhow, stropping on the Pike Strop/Hone (strophone!) isnt the best but its getting me by. I needed to touch up the blade 3 or 4 times during todays shave. The shortened area kinda sucks.
I went for my usual shave today, lathering each cheek and going for two passes. I attempted my my mustache and noticed how much my grip on the blade made a difference. It also let me see that the heel was much sharper than the 'toe' (On billyblades he explain how the term toe is incorrect though he doesnt offer the correct terminology so.....). A few passes on the Pike changed that.
No razor burn, no nicks. Finished with my DE. By the way, it feels like I can do anything with the DE after using the straight.

For whatever reason, using the traditional method is how I shave with this thing. I have tried to turn the ura against my face but after one or two strokes I end up flipping the blade back over. I wouldnt be surprised though if this changes when I start going ATG.
Im having a tough time on my mustache and chin. The hair is so much tougher I find myself applying pressure and, luckily, stopping before I nick myself. The man who honed it for my told me that for the test shave he used very short strokes due to 'lack of mass'. Maybe my little kamisori just isnt up for the tougher whiskers?
I am positive now that this is the size designated for women. After a bit of research and measuring, Ive got a Jr or Ms. version of the Japanese wonder razor!
Blade length is 33mm, very light.
I ordered a loupe today and a flattening stone in preparation for the imminent HAD

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Great progress so far :). I find the my razor doesnt like to go through longish stubble. It mowed down my 1" goatee without a wimper, but doesnt like ATG on my lip without a WTG and XTG pass first. It is likely technique, so YMMV.

Today being Saturday I gave myself a lot of time with the blade. In the shower I lathered up and let the soap do its work. When I got out, I lathered again and took the blade to my new strop from whipped dog. Having a full length strop is so nice after using the strop/hone for a few days.
The third lather, MWF, and it was time to take the straight to the whiskers. I ended up shaving my mustache AND chin AND neck for the first time today! Getting the blade angles is definitely a slow process but it was a decent go. WTG for my whole face, not that great around the upper lip and neck but the whiskers were reduced!
Cheeks and chin got a 2nd XTG pass and then finished with the DE. Again, the DE feels effortless now. I bet I could get a DFS doing jumping jacks with the Tech now!

The neck is pretty tricky. I flipped the ura towards my skin and immediately flipped it back. No idea why Im sticking to the omote only tradition. It suits me I guess.
My neck hair grows crazy like a lot of us, practice practice practice.

So far, one little nick, minor razor burn. The Royall Bay Rhum gives me quite a burn if Ive been careless so Ive been using it as a metering agent to see how Im doing. This is just plain awesome.

$1SOTD.jpg

Top Bottom