What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I’m pretty well set for everything too, but I still have two vintage razors in care of foreign postal systems at the moment. A Flat Bottom Tech and a Souplex should get to our place by the end of the month. Fingers crossed.

I do have a Wolfman hollow bronze handle and stand in production as well.

That might be it for a while. We’ll see.

Last of the Vintage razors arrived. This one came from Greece. The listing did not mention a year. Ball End Tech made in England. It is quite heavy. All brass I’m thinking. It also came with 5 Astor Silver DE Blades.

IMG_2958.jpeg

IMG_2959.jpeg

IMG_2960.jpeg

It also came with 5 Astor Silver DE Blades.
I would 100% use one of those blades, no questions asked! I have some thoughts about when enough is enough, but I am afraid they are going to come out as projection and not be taken too nicely.

Can I just say that for some people the very question isn't really valid? It isn't that they buy every last thing that comes out, but they have a lengthy, and growing, list of preferred vendors and generally add a new (item) whenever it comes out. Some are pretty entertaining with their admissions that they bought multiples, but there are people on here that are flying under the radar accumulating a larger collection than most can imagine. I look at my thirty brushes and each has an immediate story behind it so I am not one to talk, but I do think a lot more about what I buy and it ain't much lately. I would actually like to buy more things, not less, because I enjoyed trying them out and writing about it in the past. I do have a list and it weighs on my mind that none are being checked off while others are adding so many. I could buy some of them, but I am trying to be responsible this year...

(apparently Aaron proceeded with his projection)

Last edited:
I would 100% use one of those blades, no questions asked!
I'll try them out at some point, thanks for the recommendation.

Can I just say that for some people the very question isn't really valid?
You can say anything you wish my friend, I know this subject is pretty much in YMMV territory. Thanks for the insight. I know others are more into various aspects of wet shaving than others are, which would have a bearing on how you view the accumulation of extra gear. Take care and thanks for the recommendation on the blade, I wasn't too sure about using them.

300+ Shaves in 2024 102 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 17/30
Shave Date 4/19/2024
DE:
1950's Made in England Ball End Tech
Blade: Nacet (1)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Sterling Executive Man
Brush: WCS Clear Smoke Burlwood Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Executive Man A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A broken record shave today, just about the same as yesterday in terms of efficiency and comfort. Again I did not chase BBS or do any touch-up passes, I left it be at the end of my normal three passes. There is a hit more sea lion fur on the right side today, not all that noticeable unless I get nit-picky. The Made in England Ball End Tech is just about a duplicate of my US-Made one, they feel the same weight and look to be the same dimensions, and it shaved great today, just like the US Tech. The Nacet is not in the same league as the GSB, as today I felt a tad more harsh, not really anything to complain about, but something to keep in mind. I will not shave tomorrow and give the face a rest. Executive Man is an example of what I was talking about yesterday about me having enough soaps IMHO. Despite being so popular, it has been months since I have used it, I got caught up on themed days and other soaps caught my attention. It was good to reacquaint myself with Executive Man, I could use a different soap every day for a month and not duplicate one. I've used ARKO!! more often than I've used Executive Man, which isn't a knock on either, just an observation. The WCS synthetic brush did a fine jobs also. Another brush to add back into the rotation. For myself, I have more than enough brushes.

I'm going to make a quick trip to see my Daughter after work, she lives about 3 hours away. My sister is coming down from Atlanta for a wedding in Austin and will be staying with my Daughter. It was going to be a surprise, but my Daughter has loose lips. All is well, I will spend some time with them and then head back about 5:30 tomorrow afternoon, I have 9:30 mass to serve on Sunday. All back roads this trip on the Beemer, which I prefer, even if I'm in the car.

I am shorthanded at work and going to cut it off now. I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2967.jpeg

Have a fun and safe trip, John.

God bless you, sir.
Thank you, sir, I am going to see if the Craft Beer Fairy will have some cold ones at the house upon my arrival. If not I will arrange to pick up some on the way.

And to you my friend, and everyone,
The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.

300+ Shaves in 2024 102 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 17/30
Shave Date 4/19/2024
DE:
1950's Made in England Ball End Tech
Soap: Sterling Executive Man
Brush: WCS Clear Smoke Burlwood Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Executive Man A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

A broken record shave today, just about the same as yesterday in terms of efficiency and comfort. Again I did not chase BBS or do any touch-up passes, I left it be at the end of my normal three passes. There is a hit more sea lion fur on the right side today, not all that noticeable unless I get nit-picky. The Made in England Ball End Tech is just about a duplicate of my US-Made one, they feel the same weight and look to be the same dimensions, and it shaved great today, just like the US Tech. The Nacet is not in the same league as the GSB, as today I felt a tad more harsh, not really anything to complain about, but something to keep in mind. I will not shave tomorrow and give the face a rest. Executive Man is an example of what I was talking about yesterday about me having enough soaps IMHO. Despite being so popular, it has been months since I have used it, I got caught up on themed days and other soaps caught my attention. It was good to reacquaint myself with Executive Man, I could use a different soap every day for a month and not duplicate one. I've used ARKO!! more often than I've used Executive Man, which isn't a knock on either, just an observation. The WCS synthetic brush did a fine jobs also. Another brush to add back into the rotation. For myself, I have more than enough brushes.

I'm going to make a quick trip to see my Daughter after work, she lives about 3 hours away. My sister is coming down from Atlanta for a wedding in Austin and will be staying with my Daughter. It was going to be a surprise, but my Daughter has loose lips. All is well, I will spend some time with them and then head back about 5:30 tomorrow afternoon, I have 9:30 mass to serve on Sunday. All back roads this trip on the Beemer, which I prefer, even if I'm in the car.

I am shorthanded at work and going to cut it off now. I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1832174
Have a great werk end, John

What! No wings to go with the craft beer and pizza??? :)
If anyone is interested, I have a wing recipe that has won awards in my area. For those of you that like to cook, the recipe basically calls for deep fried wings shaken in a sealed bowl containing a thin roux made of all-purpose flour, clarified butter, Frank's Red Hot, and both fresh and pickled jalapeños (puréed). Happy to provide details. The heat and moisture from the fresh from fryer wings semi hardens the roux against the wing. Still messy, but richer than standard buffalo wings.

Last edited:
300+ Shaves in 2024 101 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 16/30
Shave Date 4/18/2024
DE:
1948 Super Speed
Soap: Razor Emporium Heritage
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Razor Emporium Heritage Balm, Brut EDT

Notes:

My synthetic brushes have sat idle since DecemBOAR of 2023 when I started to use natural brushes for all my shaves. I figured I needed to give the Synthetic brushes another chance before I mothballed them. The Nacet blade has been absent for even longer than that. Today, both did a fantastic job on the shave. The Atomic Rocket didn't sling the lather around much at all, and face lathered quite well, as well as any natural hair brush I have. The Nacet was another pleasant surprise today. What I remember before is that it wasn't up there with the best of them, today it was every bit as smooth as the GSB/Lords of the World and provided a fantastic shave without any touch-up work. I decided to forgo any touch-up work to give the neck time to recover from the very close shaves I have been achieving lately. There is a minute amount of sea lion fur left on the right jawline, a bit more on the left side than on the best of days. I did not intend to forgo any touch-up work at the beginning of the shave, but as I washed off the lather after the third pass, I had a really good shave, well above average, and I decided that it was more than good enough and called it done. I am quite pleased with the shave today. Too bad the Nacet is going away like the GSB as both were made in the PPI plant in St Pete. A stock-up order is coming soon for the blade apocalypse. The scents of Heritage and Brut are both old-school barbershop scents, and durn fine ones at that.

When does one become content with what we have? How much is enough? These questions are brought up many times, questions I often ask myself on various subjects. I fired up my e-readers the other day as a way to read more, I have 2 Kindles, 2 Kobos, and one Nook and all are a few generations old. They work fine, even the Nook which is the slowest of the bunch, reading on it is ok, but loading books takes some time, but they work. Do I need the latest? No, I don't. I have been on a buying spree with Vintage razors, before that it was straight razors and honing stones, before that it was boar and badger brushes. I'll add my synthetics back into my rotation of brushes, which now will be 14 brushes, do I need more, nope. I don't have room for more, I could easily make room for more, but I don't in order to temper my desires for more. Soaps, I have a lifetime of soaps, 30+ to be exact. I am always pulling out one of the soaps that have sat idle for a while and rediscovering it, which is enjoyable as well. Do I need more soap, ahh more soap is the last thing I need. Maybe I'm getting old, well I am getting old, but I seem to be coming to a point where enough is enough, and being content with what I have. My last Vingage came in today, a made-in-England Ball End Tech, I am done with razors and will enjoy rotating through my vintage razors from here on, as I am set on brushes and soaps. I do need more razor blades, as my allotment is scarce. My desire to accumulate Wetshaving gear, or gear for any of my various interests and hobbies, is waning now, and I'll sit back and enjoy what I have. Getting old has some advantages.

That will be all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1831552
Contentment is a wonderful thing but a hard thing to achieve. For the most part I am content but that does not mean something new will not slip in here and there.

If anyone is interested, I have a wing recipe that has won awards in my area. For those of you that like to cook, the recipe basically calls for deep fried wings shaken in a sealed bowl containing a thin roux made of all-purpose flour, clarified butter, Frank's Red Hot, and both fresh and pickled jalapeños (puréed). Happy to provide details. The heat and moisture from the fresh from fryer wings semi hardens the roux against the wing. Still messy, but richer than standard buffalo wings.
Yeah. PM me the details John. Ima gonna try them. But it's going to be in an air fryer. Should be able to make it work though.

Top Bottom