What's new

A First Time for Everything

First double-edged razor, first wet-shave, first post, all today.

I don't even remember now what got me on the path of a wet-shave. Until a month ago, I didn't even know what one was. I've never had an enjoyable shaving experience, so when I heard/read about how great a wet-shave can be, I was intrigued (though doubtful). As a teenager, I think I used a standard double-edged disposable blade (Schick or Gillette), a foam or gel, and always before a shower. Terrible.

In my 30s, I bought a Norelco triple-head rotary, which was only slightly better, but it always left me with redness and a burning sensation. About 10 years ago, I finally stopped shaving altogether and simply ran my Wahl clippers over my face. Thankfully, I didn't have a job that required a close shave, so I could get away with the semi-scruffy look.

Once I was turned onto the idea of a wet-shave (largely due to a number of posts on this and several other sites), I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a tendency to like all things old school, so I figured if they were good enough for previous generations of shavers, a Gillette would be good enough for me. I wound up buying a Gillette Super Speed off eBay, which came in the mail today. It's a sweet looking rig, and seems to work as advertised.

I didn't have anything other shaving paraphernalia to go with it so, once it came I just HAD to give it a trial run. I ran out and bought a brush, several soaps, and some blades.

I started with a hot shower to soften things up. Stepping out of the shower, I left my face wet. I lathered up the soap, but had some difficulty getting a nice, thick lather to stay on my face. It seemed to dissipate a lot faster than I'd anticipated, requiring several re-applications. Knowing the razor was not adjustable I was careful not to apply pressure, but wasn't getting a clean shave with each stroke (some whiskers left behind). I revisited these areas, applying a bit more pressure (which, as I understand is not the thing to do), which was more effective in cutting through the scruff.

I was lucky enough to avoid any cuts on the cheeks/neck, but got 4-5 nicks on the chin, which were quickly addressed with a styptic pencil. A little hot water to wash off the residual lather, a splash of cold water to close up the pores, and a little aftershave balm to finish things off.

Final evaluation: A little redness and burn, but the burn wore off after about an hour. Pretty darn close shave, but missed a few areas around the mouth, where I was fairly tentative. I suspect that'll improve as I get better about wielding the razor around the hard-to-get areas. It's been so long since I've dragged a blade over my face I'm not sure I can give a cheapy disposable vs. DE razor comparison, and it's still a little too early in the process for me to give an accurate evaluation of the overall DE shaving experience. These things take time. Oh, and the products I used, I'm sure, are not the best to be had, but were all I could find. I'm sure there are huge improvements to be gained by using better products and am open to suggestions.

Products used:
-- 1964 Gillette Super Speed
-- The Art of Shaving Pure Badger Brush. I know this is the lowest on the quality rung, but it was the only badger brush I found tonight. The local drug stores only carried boar, which I know to avoid. I found the brush I bought to be a little prickly, but am under the impression that will soften over time.
-- Kroger Stainless Steel DE blades (I found only generics tonight. I was surprised that none of the local grocery/drug stores carried anything other than their own brand. Does one have to order these specially to get a better blade?).
-- "Dusk" shave soap by Herban Cowboy. First time I've ever used a shave soap, so I don't know if this is good, bad, or something else. The scent wasn't terribly interesting, but wasn't offensive.
-- "Javari" aftershave balm by The Body Shop. I've had this in the drawer for years, and I have several other products in the same vein, but went with this tonight. It left my face a little shiny, which is NOT a look I want in the future.
-- Clubman Pinaud styptic pencil. A styptic pencil's a styptic pencil, right?

Sorry for the length of the post. I simply wanted to provide a newbie's background and experience; would love to get some input as to where I can improve my process/materials to achieve a better experience.

Welcome to the forum. As a fellow novice I have actually felt your pain and confusion.

This is a great place for information it is just a lot to go through.

Firstly, boar isn't bad it is just different. I now, after 3 weeks, have 4 different brushes of different types. I think, and I am sure someone will chime in, not only do they all have different properties but they all require break in before a honest opinion can be found. Then it is just what you like to feel on your face.

I would suggest one of the staple soaps or creams like Tabac or Proraso as they seem to be a good benchmark to judge everything else by and are not very expensive.

Also a variety pack of razors, this is where I personally notice quite a bit of difference.

Good luck, and it gets easier and much more fun as you learn.

Last edited:
Nice post & welcome.

Being relatively new to the whole wealth of choices available (not to wet/DE shaving) myself, I am sometimes a bit overwhelmed by it. In the end - do/use whatever works for you. I've learned not to expect dramatic improvements from new tools - improvement is mainly achieved by doing it. IMO it's better to start careful and accept a few missed spots by being too careful. You don't want a blood-bath.

Have to agree with Ferris that boar is not necessarily bad and badger not necessarily good. And pure is not necessarily a bad quality badger. Pure from one vendor can be bad, from another it will be great. I expect AoS brushes to be of a good quality but can't judge as it's not a brand sold in the Netherlands. Both can create a good lather, which seems to me to be the single most important factor for getting a good shave.

On the shaving blades - you could get a sampler kit and find out what works for you.

/m

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Welcome to B&B LB! Never apologize for the lengths of your posts. Members here love to hear your new experiences with DE shaving in detail. It gives a better picture of where your at and helps in turn with the generous advice you will most definitely recieve from the helpful gentlemen who make up this forum.

The advice I can give you from reading your post is this:

The two most important things for newbies is 1. Practicing your technique. 2. Don't change any variables until your technique improves.

In saying this however, there are several things you could change and also should know that will help improve your shaves. It sounds like you have some excellent equipment to start you on your way. The '64 SS is an excellent vintage Gillette that gives a smooth forgiving shave. It is a great razor to practice and improve ones technique.

After reading some of the problems you had, I thought I would make a list of things you can do and also maybe give you some information that will help you to be better informed about some of the products you listed. This of course is my personal opinion taking the YMMV (your miles may vary approach)

1. You mentioned your lather dissipating. Two reasons this could be happening, 1. Your lathering technique needs work: or 2. (and most likely the case) Herban Cowboy soap sucks! :) Get you some better soap. Van der Hagen Deluxe is sold at Wal-mart, Wal greens and CVS Pharmacies. It's cheap and is a quality consistent performing soap that you can stick with while not changing any variables while your improving your technique.

Better yet, Get a puck of Van der Hagen (VDH) and a puck of Williams Mug soap, grate both of them in a cheese grater and mold them into a wide, shallow mug. And you will have an awesome, inexpensive soap that makes huge amounts of slick & thick quality lather.

2. You also mentioned applying pressure because you wasn't getting a clean shave with each stroke: Stop it! NO PRESSURE! You need to know immediately my friend, that DE shaving is all about reduction shaving. Reduction shaving is multiple passes with no pressure that allows you to reduce your beard after each pass until all your whiskers are gone. The reason you had razor burn is because you tried to get a clean shave on your first pass.

Do not try and get a smooth shave on the first pass. Let your first pass be with the grain, and just reducing your beard. It will not be smooth, there will be stubble left, and that is exactly where you want to be after your first pass. Then your second pass can be across the grain. Again no pressure, and reducing the beard a little more. Rinse your face after this second pass and examine your face in the mirror. being a newbie, You won't find BBS, and neither should you be looking for it.

Being new and hunting for BBS is a recipe for razor burn! So after the second pass, ask yourself these questions: Is my shave at this point acceptable for a beginner? Is my face irritated? If your answer is no, You may want to be daring and lather up again for a third pass. It can be with the grain or across the grain and be a safe nice shave at this point. Or you can try an against the grain Making sure you go slow with no pressure, using short light strokes.

3. Advice on your brush. Your mistaken on your Art of Shaving pure badger brush being of low quality. There are more expensive and softer types of badger hair. Best, Finest, Super, etc. However, your AOS brush is a quality brush in craftsmenship. And there are plenty of people who prefer the scritchiness you experienced in the pure hair over the softer more expensive types of badger hair thats been mentioned.

It really is about individual preference and ymmv. Just so you will know, the scratchy feeling you feel in your pure hair will not go away when it's broken in as you said. Pure hair is scritchy. But it really exfoiliates the skin in my opinion and I am one of those who enjoys it's scrubbiness. :)

Also, where did you read to stay away from boar brushes? Find a good quality boar brush, and once it's broken in, it will perform and be as soft as the most expensive badger brushes.

4. Blades Your Kroger blades will suffice for now, but you should pick up a sampler pack from an online vendor as soon as possible. You can also find personna blades at Walgreens, and Wilkinson blades at Wal-Mart. There is no other place in DE shaving that ymmv applies to more than with blades. Brands you should consider in your sampler pack imo should include Derby, Israeli red personnas, Gillette 7 yellows & greens, Sharks, and Astras.

5. Aftershave. You mentioned your aftershave leaving your face a little shiny. Wal-Mart has Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer. Walgreens and CVS has Pinaud Clubman that will give you that "old school" smell you said you liked. Wal-mart also has Nivea unscented sensitive skin aftershave balm. It is a great balm for those days you have a rough shave. It will cool and speed healing to that red irritated face.

I hope this wall of text and advise helps you with some of the problems you listed in your post, I hope you find that Old school shaving is the best shaving. Remember to be patient and go slow, and once again, NO PRESSURE! :)

It's an adventure, so enjoy the journey!

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Welcome to B&B! +1 to all of the above. Also check out the Mantic You Tube videos! There is a learning curve but it just keeps getting better and better.

Welcome to the B! You really did jump right in. Excellent! We're glad you found us.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at this post. It provides an excellent road map to your shaving needs.

The wiki at http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/index.php/Lathers is a great guide for lather.

And here is a good post that will help you on blade angle.

+1 on all the above. You are on the right track! I'll reiterate the blade sampler suggestion. It is better to find your way with a blade you like, rather than one that is you don't like. This should be your next step.

Yes, styptic is styptic. No problems there. Check back often for PIF's. You qualify as a newbie, and may get some great free shaving tools. Read, Learn, Shave, Share, and Ask questions. This is a very cool adventure you have started!:thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B and the road to better shaving!

Go back and re-read OkieStubble's response. Print it out and tape it up next to your shaving mirror. He's dead on. Using a single DE blade, you get close shaves through gradual cutting, not by mashing the blade into your skin. The latter invites irritation, nicks, and razor bumps.

Welcome to B&B and the road to better shaving!

Go back and re-read OkieStubble's response. Print it out and tape it up next to your shaving mirror. He's dead on. Using a single DE blade, you get close shaves through gradual cutting, not by mashing the blade into your skin. The latter invites irritation, nicks, and razor bumps.

Welcome aboard B&B, Lord Bathrobe. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Looks like you are off to a good start. Practice and patience will pay off with better and better shaves.

+1 to RobAtSGH's advice about OkieStubble's post. Yours and his are great examples of the quality and thoughtful participation we are fortunate enough to see on a regular basis here at B&B.

Welcome to B&B and welcome to wet-shaving. You have made a good choice. If you have questions or issues this is a good place to sort them out

+1 to viewing Mantic59's Youtube videos. He has a lot to teach and has a very good approach to teaching.

Last edited:
So as not to clutter this thread with individual "thank you"s to all those welcoming me to the site, I send out a collective Thanks! The pointers to various vids and links to B&B pages have been very useful.

@Ferris - Thanks for the reply. Your feedback re: brushes, soaps/creams, and razors is appreciated and will be taken into account next time I'm out shopping. I think I'll get the biggest bang for my buck on a better set of blades. Was still a little tender yesterday and am feeling a bit dried out today. My first go 'round was Saturday night, might have another go at it again today...

@OkieStubble

Thanks for the detailed response. Yes, my technique is crude at best and requires some practice to get it where it needs to be. For lack of a better word, I "taught" myself to shave in my teens and obviously never figured out there was a better way of doing things. Even though I don't have the thickest growth, I never could figure out how a guy who could grow a beard between 8 am and 5 pm could get such a smooth appearance with out the fiery, red glow I always ended up with. I still have a hard time imagining I'll ever get to the point of doing it right, but at least I know there's a different way of approaching this stuff.

1. Given that I'd never attempted to whip up a lather, I fully suspect my technique could use lots of improvement. Will continue to practice. OK, out with the Herban Cowboy. Funny you should mention the VDH, as I bought some that night while I was out, but didn't think it had much scent to it. I figured if I was going to shave, I might as well smell nice while doing it, hence the use of the Herban Cowboy soap. I'll use the HDV next time out.

2. re: application of pressure when shaving. I'd already read a number of posts warning against the use of pressure, but after that first pass with some stubble left behind I thought, what could the harm be? I know now. No more pressure, and take multiple passes if need be. We'll see how that improves my experience. The term reducing the beard is one that, if I'd read it before, I didn't understand. I think I do now. And yes, I think I was hunting for BBS, so I'll let go of that for now until I get some issues sorted out.

3. I'll adjust my expectations on brushes. Maybe I'd misinterpreted some comments I'd read re: boar, so I stand corrected. The boar brushes I saw in the local drug stores were running about $9 and, coupled with some of the stuff I read online, I figured they couldn't possibly be worthy of purchase.

4. The recommendation for a sample pack is well taken and one I will employee. I was suprised to see a number of options available on Amazon. Is there anything they don't sell??

5. When I said I liked all things "old school", I was referring more to physical things (e.g., audio gear, cars, pens, etc.). Right or wrong, I feel things were made to a higher standard, using better materials, back then than things are made today. That's not to say that the technologies were better (i.e., cars are safer today than those of the 50s), but I'd rather have something will a little style than a lot of the cheap, generic crap that's made today. That said, I AM looking forward to the improvement I hope to get with the "old school" shaving gear and techniques I learn on this site. The old school aftershaves you mentioned would be like putting gasoline on my face. I'd be looking for something a little more soothing and subtle smelling.

And if I've learned nothing else, I've at least learned this: NO PRESSURE! NO PRESSURE! NO PRESSURE!

@ackvil

Thanks for the great links. The pointers will come in very handy, especially the one about blade angle. I still need to be mindful of the No Pressure! rule. I thought I could get away with a little pressure and quickly found out that I was wrong. More practice is in my immediate future...

@Eric V

Thanks for the pointer regarding the PIFs (so much to learn).

Glad to hear I'm not using a cut-rate styptic pencil!

Yes, a cool adventure. Now if I can just get that cool, refreshing shave, I'll be a happy man.

@RobAtSGH --> "gradual cutting, not by mashing the blade into your skin."

Perfect! I'll keep in mind.

BTW, yours is the BEST, most appropriate image I've seen on this site so far!

Top Bottom