What's new

A few tech questions

1. On approx. the bottom 1/8th of my screen on this site, I get a cloudy rectangle that extends the whole width of the page. It is slightly transparent, but I need to scroll down to be able to click any buttons there. Is there a way to get rid of this?

2. On the top menu, I don't alway get the "down arrow" symbol next to "Forums", which let's you select threads you want to see. Sometimes I need to click the "Badger and Blade" logo to get it back. Does anyone know what causes this?

thnx
B&B.jpg

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
1. On approx. the bottom 1/8th of my screen on this site, I get a cloudy rectangle that extends the whole width of the page. It is slightly transparent, but I need to scroll down to be able to click any buttons there. Is there a way to get rid of this?

2. On the top menu, I don't alway get the "down arrow" symbol next to "Forums", which let's you select threads you want to see. Sometimes I need to click the "Badger and Blade" logo to get it back. Does anyone know what causes this?

thnxView attachment 1780549
The cloudy area looks like "ad space". Some of the ads reserve real estate on the screen, even if the ad doesn't play.
The arrow drop down may well be a cache isse.
Clear your browser cache so the page gets a true reload.

thnx.

Isn't that an ad, though, behind the cloudy area?

For caching, I clean my browser's cache every day or so -- doesn't seem to help that issue.

Another one: When there are multiple pages to navigate, with the page #s and the "next" button, sometimes the cursor doesn't change into the "hand" and clicking "next" does nothing, and I have to click the page # instead. And when you have the option to do this at the top and the bottom of a page, sometimes the top has the "hand" and the bottom doesn't, or vice versa. Sometimes clicking the page # doesn't work, either, and I have to edit the url to go to the page # I want. Strange, but if the next page is 4, if I can't click "4" or "next", clicking "5" or other #s works though.

thx

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
thnx.

Isn't that an ad, though, behind the cloudy area?

For caching, I clean my browser's cache every day or so -- doesn't seem to help that issue.

Another one: When there are multiple pages to navigate, with the page #s and the "next" button, sometimes the cursor doesn't change into the "hand" and clicking "next" does nothing, and I have to click the page # instead. And when you have the option to do this at the top and the bottom of a page, sometimes the top has the "hand" and the bottom doesn't, or vice versa. Sometimes clicking the page # doesn't work, either, and I have to edit the url to go to the page # I want. Strange, but if the next page is 4, if I can't click "4" or "next", clicking "5" or other #s works though.

thx
I'm not sure what to tell you honestly. There are so many combinations of devices (PC, phone, tablet etc.) so many combinations of Operating systems (Apple, Android, Windows etc.) and so many combinations of browsers (Duckduckgo, Brave, Chrome, Edge, Mozilla, Safari etc.) that it's virtually impossible to remotely troubleshoot someone having difficulty.
All I can suggest is trying different platforms and browsers with cleared cache and cookies until you can isolate which of the sources is the issue.

Understood.
Firefox on Windows 10 is pretty standard, though.
Thnx

As an aside, one of my beefs about web developement, as opposed to in the old days, is that there are too many things out of your control. When I developed applications for stand alone PCs, it was designed and tested to work on one and only one platform. All commercial software was (though I developed in-house apps) -- and special versions were developed for say the Mac. Now there are too many permutations.

A GUI ran from an executable -- now you send html, javascript, and a bunch of other stuff from the server to the user's browser (whatever it may be) and keep you fingers crossed! lol

That being said, on what specific platforms (e.g. OS, browser) has the software that runs this site been tested and verified on? If Firefox, are there specific settings to look out for?

thnx

Last edited:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Understood.
Firefox on Windows 10 is pretty standard, though.
Thnx

As an aside, one of my beefs about web developement, as opposed to in the old days, is that there are too many things out of your control. When I developed applications for stand alone PCs, it was designed and tested to work on one and only one platform. All commercial software was (though I developed in-house apps) -- and special versions were developed for say the Mac. Now there are too many permutations.

A GUI ran from an executable -- now you send html, javascript, and a bunch of other stuff from the server to the user's browser (whatever it may be) and keep you fingers crossed! lol

That being said, on what specific platforms (e.g. OS, browser) has the software that runs this site been tested and verified on? If Firefox, are there specific settings to look out for?

thnx
I couldn't answer that. It's Xenforo, so I'm sure it's easily googled.

OK, thnx.
Now I can't reproduce the issue with the "next" button not working, lol.
Can't help with your tech questions, but, I would highly recommend becoming a "Contributor" it eliminates the add issue. It isn't expensive and you will easily (in my opinion) recoup the cost in knowledge.
@luvmysuper can point you to the right place. Very helpful and generous fella!

Be well
Jay

Can't help with your tech questions, but, I would highly recommend becoming a "Contributor" it eliminates the add issue. It isn't expensive and you will easily (in my opinion) recoup the cost in knowledge.
@luvmysuper can point you to the right place. Very helpful and generous fella!

Be well
Jay
Thanks. The "bugs" are not biggies -- I just thought they could be known issues that perhaps would be fixed going forward. Or maybe there were settings to fix them. Or solutions like: "Doc, it hurts when I go like that." "Don't go like that!"

Right now the "Forums" link shows the "down arrow." It's when I click on the word "Forums" that the next page that loads doesn't show the down arrows. Maybe that's not a bug it's a feature since I'm now looking at the forum list?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks. The "bugs" are not biggies -- I just thought they could be known issues that perhaps would be fixed going forward. Or maybe there were settings to fix them. Or solutions like: "Doc, it hurts when I go like that." "Don't go like that!"

Right now the "Forums" link shows the "down arrow." It's when I click on the word "Forums" that the next page that loads doesn't show the down arrows. Maybe that's not a bug it's a feature since I'm now looking at the forum list?
I'll get in front of a PC and check in a few.

Top Bottom