What's new

A few questions about Badgers and vendors

I recently put a new knot in a vintage Ever-Ready #79 handle, and it caught me completely. I don't want to use any of my other 11 brushes anymore. I just want to shave with this one every single day.

Now, I have a couple handles in the way. On one I can fit a 20-21mm knot, and on the other, I was thinking about using another MR 24mm 2 band knot.

But, I was advised to do some research first. I've read that there are three main trusted knot suppliers, at least that I've heard of:
- Maggard Razors
- Virginia Sheng
- Ace

I have too many board brushes, and a handful of synthetics, but only one usable Badger, the one listed above.

And the questions are:
  • Is VS or Ace better than Maggard Razors knots? I'd compare MR 2-Band vs Ace or VS Finest, which I believe is a fair comparison
  • Would I be missing too much the MR 2-Band great backbone by going to Silvertip?
  • What are Silvertip advantages over Finest, if any?
  • Do you have any other vendor you can recommend before making the purchase?
Thank you very much for your help.

The Golden Nib is a good one to check out for loose knots, they have several badger grades in a variety of sizes.

I have used the vendors you listed as well as The Golden Nib and others. Another one to add to your list for consideration is Whipped Dog, both for knots and handles.

Specifically about Maggards two band, I have three. Their 26mm two band is the best finest / two band / high mountain knot I have regardless of size. Their 24mm two band is about on par with others in the same class. I don't know why size matters. I'm extremely impressed with Maggards.

Of the other sources that I have used for those in the finest / two band / high mountain category I would put the ones from The Golden Nib highest on the list, but the others mentioned are still very close.

Silvertip is in a class all its own. The hair shafts are finer, making it softer. Most in the finest class have nearly as soft of a face feel, but only nearly. Silvertip is more delicate and can be damaged more easily with rough handling while building lather or applying it on your face. Given just a little bit of extra care its face feel is extraordinary.

Silvertip is my favorite, but finest isn't far behind. Although I can lather most any soap well with either type, I'm inclined to pick up a finest when dealing with a harder soap.

As you continue down this bunny hole, you will probably want at least one Silvertip. Probably my most favorite brush (I have several favorites) is a 30mm Silvertip set with 70mm loft. It works best with a large mug, but it is pure pleasure. Its the Sunday Morning type of brush.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Terms like Silvertip or Finest or High Mountain White or Manchurian mean whatever the seller thinks will bring in the most money. There simply are NO standards when it comes to badger or boar hair.

The only thing I have ever found close to what could be called a standard is the reputation from the makers that have been in business for at least a half century or more. There I have some expectation of what a particular label might be like. Yet even there I know that badger of the same labeled type from different makers will be entirely different in feel and function; I know that a Simpson Best and Vulfix Super will be about the same while a Vulfix Silvertip and Simpson Super will be near identical hairs.

It is also smart to remember that Badger is a natural product and will be different year to year and batch to batch.

Can vouch for Ace. Had a couple silvee tip knots for some old Kents. Super soft but with the right amount of back bone.

Top Bottom