What's new

A Duke 3 vs. Commodore 3 head-to-head comparison!

This is part one of a two-part review. Several of us had noted that the knot sizes of the Duke 3 and the Commodore 3 were almost identical, and of course both came in Simpsons’ remarkable “best” badger hair. But the Commodore is about 25% less expensive, and we had wondered about the reason for this. As it happened, Darjeeling has a Duke 3, I have a Commodore 3, and so we coordinated a head-to-head experiment: Darjeeling sent me his Duke for two weeks, at the end of which I am sending him my Commodore for the same. Since Darjeeling generously let me go first, his review will follow in a few weeks.

First, the appearances. There’s no escaping it: the Duke looks and feels like a higher quality piece than the Commodore. The handle is heftier, the knot feels denser, the printing is better. Maybe it’s just my example, but the “burned-in” printing of the name “Commodore” has a lot of trailing “flashing”, melted resin that hangs over the wording. It just looks cheap. The only area where the Commodore edges the Duke is in the hair appearance, where the Commodore shows three bands, the Duke only two; in terms of hair quality, they are identical in feel and performance.

I say the Duke’s knot feels denser. I’m not sure it is denser. While the knots of the Duke and Commodore are the same diameter and loft, they have very different shapes. The Duke is a tight, emphatic bulb shape; the Commodore is a fan, and it splays out more. The intro photo shows it clearly.

Interestingly, while the Duke’s shape is very different from the Commodore’s, its size and shape is almost exactly the same as the New Forest 2201. And at almost the same moment in time, my New Forest 2211 showed up: Fido’s new brush with the silvertip hair. Below is a side by side by side by side photograph; from left to right: Commodore, Duke, NF2211, NF2201.

[A side note: not only does the Duke knot look a lot like the NF2211, the NF2211 gives a shaving experience much like the Duke’s. I have posted a separate NF2211 review.]

On to density. In appearance, the Commodore seems less dense than the Duke, but I think that’s an artifact of the fan shape; the Commodore splays out more. If you massage the knot to the same diameter as the Duke, the density seems identical. See picture below (Duke on left, Commodore on right). For comparison purposes, I also included a top view of the four musketeers. Clockwise from top right: Commodore, Duke, NF2211, NF2201.

The handle shapes are optimized for different uses. The Commodore is more adapted to a fingertip hold and bowl lathering; the fatter, shorter Duke handle is more adapted to a "palming" grip and face lathering. In fact, with your fingers around the Duke, it can be somewhat hard to get enough action room in the shaving bowl to whip up a good lather.

In use, the Duke still seems more tightly packed. The difference is subtle. But it's enough that it threw off my lather technique for several days. The Duke holds more water, hence needs a better draining before building lather. However, once I discovered the sweet spot it exploded.

The Commodore does a great job beating up lather. In fact, it looks like it beats up more than the Duke. I don’t think it really does, it just shows it more.

In terms of impact on the face, the Commodore feels very smooth indeed, and lathers up the face a little more easily than the Duke. The Duke seems to hold onto its lather more stubbornly, probably because it stays more tightly packed; the splay-fanned Commodore gives up the lather a little better. On the other hand, a face-latherer never has to re-lather the Duke -- just dip it in water and work it over your face again. Three passes, four, five, plus a touch-up, no problem. The Commodore is always soft, not floppy like some of the Vulfixes, but pleasant. It has decent backbone, but isn’t scrubby; soft tips, but it’s a little harder than the Duke to control; I almost always end up with lather in my ears. The Duke, once you get the lather right, better combines backbone for scrubbing (probably due to the greater effective density; the bristles support each other better), and in “painting” it feels like a heavenly road paver is laying down a bed of lather on your jaw. I know, that doesn’t sound like a very pleasant sensation, but trust me, it is. Smooth. As. Silk. Overall, I give a very slight usage edge to the Duke.

My recommendation would be: if you’re a face latherer, get the Duke; if you’re a bowl latherer, either will do just fine. Personally, I think I’ll stick with my Commodore. In terms of overall shaving experience, the Duke is better. But for a bowl latherer like me, the Commodore is slightly easier to use, and to paraphrase My Fair Lady, my face has grown accustomed to it. Both are excellent, neither disappoints, and a shaver with either is a lucky man.

Wow! What a review. Looking forward to that Commodore coming to Brooklyn. Z., you're amazing. My review will probably go like, "I like the ---- more than the ----". The End.

Yeah, great review! I am still trying to decide on a Simpsons brush :001_smile. I am surprised the Duke has such a bulb shape. In other pictures it seems much more like a fan. I was leaning more towards the Duke, but now I would definitely consider the Commodore. Since you have both of the New Forest brushes there, how do THEY compare in terms of density and softness?

Yeah, great review! I am still trying to decide on a Simpsons brush :001_smile. I am surprised the Duke has such a bulb shape. In other pictures it seems much more like a fan. I was leaning more towards the Duke, but now I would definitely consider the Commodore. Since you have both of the New Forest brushes there, how do THEY compare in terms of density and softness?

I really wish I hadn't put the New Forests in the picture (literally), since they mess up the pure mano a mano matchup of the Commodore and the Duke. But since I did, your question is very pertinent.

The New Forest brushes are not quite the equal of the two Simpsons, although the NF2211 comes mighty close. The Simpsons are both slightly denser than the NF2211. The hair shafts of the 2211 are palpably stiffer than the Simpsons', although that doesn't seem to translate into more backbone; the Simpsons are easily the NF2211's equal in that department. The tips are comparable, with the Simpsons probably ever so slightly softer. Mind you, these are pretty close degrees here; while I could tell the difference with my eyes closed, it wouldn't be easy.

Whether the Simpsons are worth the extra money is of course a value judgment, but to put it in perspective, the NF2211 costs about $54 delivered, if I did the math right. The Duke 3 in Best costs more than twice that. If I weren't already in the grasp of SBAD, I'd sell my Simpsons and Rooneys and go with the New Forest 2211. By any absolute standard, the NF2211 is excellent. But if I had to flee the black helicopters and only had time to grab one brush out of my collection, I'd grab the Commodore.

The NF2201 comes up clearly shorter in comparison with the others. The hairs are palpably stiffer, the tips scritchier. Mind you, it's still a very nice brush, and an excellent buy. I imagine it is like the Simpsons in Pure Badger, but I'd be guessing, since I don't have a Simpsons in Pure Badger to compare it to. And that's kind of the point: if you never had anything else to compare it to, you'd think your NF2201 was paradise. Put it next to the 2211 (let alone a Duke), and you suddenly feel that itch in your fingertips...

Although you didn't ask the question, yes, I think the NF2211 is worth the $15 over the NF2201. Over ten years, that's half a cent a day for a noticeably better knot. The question may be academic, however, since Fido isn't selling any more 2201s as far as I know.

Finally, it may be obvious, but in case it isn't, the New Forest brushes are both very much bulb in shape. If you strongly prefer a fan, pony up the extra cash and get the Simpsons Commodore. If you like a fan but can't afford the Commodore, the Simpsons Berkeley in Best can be had for less than $40; it's smaller, but still big enough to do the job and do it well. I've attached a picture of the Berkeley next to the Duke; the handle is virtually identical to the Duke's, just scaled down a little; and you can get an idea of the relative sizes and shapes of the heads.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks for the detailed reply! I DO like the Berkely, nice shape, etc. Just a tough decision. I'm not set on a fan shape, the only bulb I've tried is this TGN 22mm extra stuffed finest knot I made into a brush. It's just a LITTLE less comfortable than my Rooney 3/1, because of the diminished area that contacts the face. I'm just surprised the Duke is a bulb, I had never heard that before.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Fantastic review!

I have a pre-Fix Duke 3 and the loft looks nothing like the Duke you have pictured above. Mine is certainly closer to a fan-shape while the one pictured here is clearly bulb-shaped.

Great review!!! I've been looking at a Duke for a few weeks now, and this review makes me want to go out and order one tonight.

Really fantastic comparison. :thumbup1:

I just got a Duke 3 as well, and while it is bulb shaped, it is not as "pure bulb" as say a Savile Row or Shavemac.

That Duke 3 looks like it could be 2 Band hair? That would also explain the bulb shape, which is not the "norm" i believe. Nice looking brush.

Thought this would be a good time for a first post. Just received my Duke 3 from WCS yesterday. I had been using a TBS synthetic since I started using a DE a couple of months ago. The Duke is like lathering with a pillow by comparison. I was too excited to clean it and lather it so I didn't get a before pic. Here it is after a few lathers. I was a little concerned that this would be too big, but I seem to like big brushes since I got a lot of face.

That Duke 3 looks like it could be 2 Band hair? That would also explain the bulb shape, which is not the "norm" i believe. Nice looking brush.

Fozz, that crossed my mind as well. I bought this brush from Pasteur's in Manhattan which is one of the greatest outlets for shaving gear in the universe. They have 2 branches one on 34th St. and one on Lexington between 63rd and 64th. (Psst, they will always give a little discount if you say you are a B&B member.) Anyway, when I began using the brush, the hair reminded me of the hair on TexBilly's Grosvenor LE (which he had UNBELIEVABLY lent me!!!!). I do not own a two band per se, but the coloring on this Duke 3 and the overall feel was remarkably similar. I know it does not make any sense. Z., do you have any Simpson/Vulfix 2 band brushes that you might compare it to?

Fozz, that crossed my mind as well. I bought this brush from Pasteur's in Manhattan which is one of the greatest outlets for shaving gear in the universe. They have 2 branches one on 34th St. and one on Lexington between 63rd and 64th. (Psst, they will always give a little discount if you say you are a B&B member.) Anyway, when I began using the brush, the hair reminded me of the hair on TexBilly's Grosvenor LE (which he had UNBELIEVABLY lent me!!!!). I do not own a two band per se, but the coloring on this Duke 3 and the overall feel was remarkably similar. I know it does not make any sense. Z., do you have any Simpson/Vulfix 2 band brushes that you might compare it to?

Darjeeling, no, unfortunately not. I have a Trumpers GT-3 which is a Duke 3 in Best & it has a fan shaped knot which is normally typical on a Duke IMO. I know that Simpsons will not make anything but their style of bulb knot with 2 Band. They say it will alter the brush characteristics too much. It looks like the big brother to the NF 2201.

I would love a Duke 3 in 2 Band.

Very nice review, Zumkopf! :001_cool: However, I'm a bit surprised (but encouraged) at your conclusions with regard to the Duke 3.

A while back, I bought a Duke 3 from Phil at Bullgoose and it was a beautiful brush with a big, pillowy knot. I eventually returned it to Phil because sadly, it was a serious shedder. I was tempted to have him replace it but what held me back was its lack of density. To me, that brush was anything but a classic face latherer and would have qualified as floppy by most measurements. Despite it's softness, it did allow air to flow well and I could easily load the brush with even my most difficult soaps.

I love the Duke design so your feedback makes me wonder whether I had a "dud". Only one way to find out! :tongue_sm

Top Bottom