What's new

A brush that finally I don't recommend: 830.

Last year I bought a Semogue 830. Cost: 20 euros. Cheap brush, expensive boar, if you think that I bought the Omega 49 for 7 euros.
I have used this brush for more than 50 times. Never used really warm water, just I do and in every other brush I own. Then, after a month I also bought the SOC. The last one is far better than the 830.
Mine 830 is a shedder. Even now, it looses 2-4 hairs every time. In addition, they have appeared white spots in the base like many other 830s or 620s or 820s brushes. I believe you know the matter that came out a year ago or later. The company offered to exchange the problematic brushes with new ones. Some guys did it and the new ones had appeared the exactly same spots. What to say...? I didn't exchange my brush because I was almost sure that the new would have the same problem...
It happens I said... But I am very disappointed with the loosing of hairs. My SOC lost only 3 hairs, and these on the firsts tests shaves.

Something must have been changed during the manufacture period for that many complaints.

Shave because my experience with Semogue brushes has been rather a good one (not had an 830 though)

Something must have been changed during the manufacture period for that many complaints.

Shave because my experience with Semogue brushes has been rather a good one (not had an 830 though)
I have had a 610 and a 830, and both were a disappointment for me.

I do not believe that the brushes have changed; different people like different things, and lovers of the 830 probably want something different from their brush than I do. It's inevitable that brushes have lovers and haters, otherwise they would all be middle of the road products.

About the shedding; I am sure that some Semogues shed, just like some examples of other manufacturers. But the thing I was impressed with was the workmanship of the Semogues, I just did not like their knots.

Last edited:
I have had a 610 and a 830, and both were a disappointment for me.

I do not believe that the brushes have changed; different people like different things, and lovers of the 830 probably want something different from their brush than I do. It's inevitable that brushes have lovers and haters, otherwise they would all be middle of the road products.

About the shedding; I am sure that some Semogues shed, just like some examples of other manufacturers. But the thing I was impressed with was the workmanship of the Semogues, I just did not like their knots.

What doesn't the 830 offer you?? I need a first new brush(using a borrowed vintage one now) and have been on the fence about the 830. I see so many positive reviews and then a thread/review like this comes up and I doubt making the 830 purchase.

I'm happy with mine so far, but admittedly don't have more than 20 or so shaves on it? It is breaking in nicely, loads hard soaps, holds enough for three passes, is nice looking, and is sized decently for face lathering. I have been mainly bowl lathering during it's break in.
I can't speak to the OP's issues, because it's pretty new, but I really like it.

That is too bad that the brush is a shedder and has some other issues and it has not lived up to what you were expecting. I read the post - as I am considering between a 1800 and a 620 for my next brush purchase. If the knot in the brush is not working for you - then perhaps that handle can be reused with a new knot. The removal of the current knot and clean up of the handle to put in a new knot can be done with hand tools and it just takes a little care, patience and a little time. There are a number of suppliers of replacement knots and perhaps you could use that handle with a new synthetic, silvertip or high mountain white knot.

The 830 supposdely is just the acrylic handled version of the 1305 brush - same knot and loft - at least according to info I read on this site searching past forum entries - "Current Semogue Boar Grades".

That is too bad that the brush is a shedder and has some other issues and it has not lived up to what you were expecting. I read the post - as I am considering between a 1800 and a 620 for my next brush purchase. If the knot in the brush is not working for you - then perhaps that handle can be reused with a new knot. The removal of the current knot and clean up of the handle to put in a new knot can be done with hand tools and it just takes a little care, patience and a little time. There are a number of suppliers of replacement knots and perhaps you could use that handle with a new synthetic, silvertip or high mountain white knot.

The 830 supposdely is just the acrylic handled version of the 1305 brush - same knot and loft - at least according to info I read on this site searching past forum entries - "Current Semogue Boar Grades".

If my memory works, 830 has 10% more hair than 1305.
Could 1305 be a bit too floppy?

What doesn't the 830 offer you?? I need a first new brush(using a borrowed vintage one now) and have been on the fence about the 830. I see so many positive reviews and then a thread/review like this comes up and I doubt making the 830 purchase.

Why? For each product you'll find positive and negative reviews.

My complaint was that it was a lather hog, compared to my Omega boars, even after weeks of breaking in.

But the same brush may work great for you!

Why? For each product you'll find positive and negative reviews.

My complaint was that it was a lather hog, compared to my Omega boars, even after weeks of breaking in.

But the same brush may work great for you!

I tend to give negative reviews more weight because there are so many fake good reviews out there. I'm pretty cheap and I try to get the most I can for my money since I have so little of it at the moment.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I tend to give negative reviews more weight because there are so many fake good reviews out there. I'm pretty cheap and I try to get the most I can for my money since I have so little of it at the moment.

With 11 sticks of Arko coming your way, you shouldn't have to worry about spending any money on soap for a while.

I wasn't talking about fake good reviews on B&B but on vendor sites and amazon. I read somewhere about vendors offering extras/discounts to customers for good reviews of service and products around the internet but not shaving vendors specifically. I'm cynical enough to believe it. B&B is full of great information and people but I'm trying to remain a bit objective about things especially with the YMMV aspect of many of the shaving products and my lack of experience. I also tend to be a bit of "the glass is half empty" kind of guy even though I try hard not to be. When I purchase a brush it will probably be the only one for a very long time so I'd like to make sure its a wise purchase if I can.

The Arko Pif is going to be all I use to shave till it runs out or I get back to employed status. The brush I'm hoping to buy in the near future is being funded by a wine jug full of pocket change I found tucked in a corner I forgot about unless life bites me in the butt again.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
The Arko Pif is going to be all I use to shave till it runs out or I get back to employed status. The brush I'm hoping to buy in the near future is being funded by a wine jug full of pocket change I found tucked in a corner I forgot about unless life bites me in the butt again.

Bummer about the unemployment. The good 'ol jar full of coins has come in handy a few times for me, as well.

Mine was not horrible, it functioned. But it wasn't great either. Was a bit of a lather hog and took a fair amount of work to get good lather in comparison to my badger brushes.

There's a reason it's sitting on a shelf in a bathroom in Levidi in case I forget to pack a brush when I visit.

Fiend606,

If you're still interested in a Semogue 830, I will PIF you mine. It's been used maybe 10 times (if that), so it's still not broken-in yet. It's a bit floppier than I like a boar brush to be, so it's getting no use, over here. PM me you address, and I'll send it out to you. I still even have the original packaging (though I did remove the sticker from the brush, as it was not attached very well, and water was getting behind it).

-Peter

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Fiend606,

If you're still interested in a Semogue 830, I will PIF you mine. It's been used maybe 10 times (if that), so it's still not broken-in yet. It's a bit floppier than I like a boar brush to be, so it's getting no use, over here. PM me you address, and I'll send it out to you. I still even have the original packaging (though I did remove the sticker from the brush, as it was not attached very well, and water was getting behind it).

-Peter

Do you bowl lather, or face lather? I bowl lather, and I was going to buy the 830 on Wednesday, but maybe the 620 would be better.

Mine was fine for about 8 months. It then splayed almost too much and got floppy. The paint on the handle cracked and like overnight the bristles stiffened and it doesn't lather that well anymore and I've cleaned it several times trying to bring it back. It was also a shedder, leaving hairs stuck to my face at least every other shave. I don't regret the purchase but my Omega 10066 is proving to be a better brush at less than half the cost. I own many brushes and the 10666 is, in fact, my favorite brush. My badgers barely see use anymore.

Do you bowl lather, or face lather? I bowl lather, and I was going to buy the 830 on Wednesday, but maybe the 620 would be better.

I almost always bowl-lather, though I do tend to perform the final lather-building on my face after the bowl. The 620 is a very nice brush and definitely has more backbone than the 830 (due to the hair-grade and shorter loft). The 610 may be one to consider, as well, though I can't speak from experience, as I do not own a 610.

From reviewing some posts here, Semogue 830 and SOC seem to be similar.
Both are dense are soft, more like a badger than a boar.
If you have both, please share us your experiences.
Thanks a lot.

From reviewing some posts here, Semogue 830 and SOC seem to be similar.
Both are dense are soft, more like a badger than a boar.
If you have both, please share us your experiences.
Thanks a lot.

I have both, and, the SOC has much better backbone than the 830. The SOC has a 2mm bigger knot, is denser, and its loft is only 2mm higher than the 830, so it's not surprising that it has more backbone. The SOC also has a "special" grade of hair. If you're trying to choose between these two brushes, I would definitely recommend the SOC. The handle is fantastic, as well (though the 830 handle is also nice).

Top Bottom