What's new

A bit confused, and a bit bummed

Ok, I bought a straight razor from Vintage straight razor .com - it is the damascus blade, that was "shave ready". So I prepped, stroped, and began with about 2 days growth. While I didn't cut the bejezzuz out of my face, I felt that I wasn't cutting the hair. I took so many passes that the shave soap dried on my face. In the end, I had a couple of smooth patches on my checks and neck... very little progress at all on my chin and jaw line. Finally, I got a cheapo disposable and finished because I ran out of free time and had to run.

What irritated the heck out of me (my ego, no my skin) is that that darn disposable cut throught the hair like butter. My beard prep was spot on. Does that mean that my straight razor isn't sharp enough / or a piece of junk? Should it have cut through the beard with much of the same ease as the throw-away?

THanks for the help / advise - I'm the only one I know doing this...and I'm not giving up

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Did it cost at least 400.00?

Otherwise you may have bought a razor that has been panned by members here.

Pics would help a lot.

Legion

Staff member
I think it might be your razor. I just checked out that site, they are $80 and look like...

proxy.php

From a review on another site.

"So it's pretty clear the a G.B.Crappingham razor from Vintagestraightrazor is nothing but a useless tool for shaving, to put it politely.
The steel is totally unable to hold an edge for even half a pass, waaaay too soft to be used for razors. Completely useless.

Buyer beware....."

Sorry but see if you can get your money back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Legion nailed it. Bad start huh? Well, I dont have $400. Any advise for a do-over blade? I'm not quiting on this

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Ya you don't need 400.00 unless you want a Damascus razor that will shave :smile:.

Whippeddog straights are great for the beginner.

Gentlemen:

Thank you for your help and advise. I should have become a member here before buying on the web. Such is life ...maybe I can keep a future mid-west straight shaver from making the same mistake. I'll let you all know what I get.

THanks for the help / advise - I'm the only one I know doing this...and I'm not giving up

You mentioned the Midwest in your last post. I am from Nebraska - which is Middle Earth so that might be close by. There are a handful of wet-shavers in our area.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Don't toss it yet. It might shave after being properly honed. Hang on to it until you start honing. meanwhile get yourself a whippeddog and learn to shave with that.

Don't toss it yet. It might shave after being properly honed. Hang on to it until you start honing. meanwhile get yourself a whippeddog and learn to shave with that.

This.

Send it to me. I've honed a couple of Pakistan blades to shave readiness in my day.

Ok...got a refund!!! Whew! After I plugged in CB crappingham into a search engine and found less than ideal results I was afraid I'd never get a red cent back.

Since I did, I treated myself to a Red Injun from bobs razors. Happy early fathers day to me!

Ok...got a refund!!! Whew! After I plugged in CB crappingham into a search engine and found less than ideal results I was afraid I'd never get a red cent back.

Since I did, I treated myself to a Red Injun from bobs razors. Happy early fathers day to me!

I don't see a Red Injun, didn't happen without pics. A link works too LOL.

Buyer beware on vintagestraightrazor.com He sells stuff that you can find at the local Walgreens for 3x the cost and calls them "bonuses". He doesn't have a good rep and routinely offers his stuff on Woot.com. After reading about straights on here I skipped his too-good-to-be-true stuff and saved for a better introduction. Wish I knew about Larry back then but still, I'm happy i missed that boat. Glad you got your money back and congrats on the Red Injun. Happy shaving.

Top Bottom