What's new

A B&B straight?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well......i definately cant wait till this occurs. Knowing my luck....the announcement will go up while im at work or sleeping...and ill lose the chance....ROFL

Not too long ago, I spent $250 on a 1925 Gillette "Big Fellow", in mint condition, with a correspondingly "minty" box.

How did I (let myself) do it? I knew that the "Big Fellow" was my favorite DE razor, I knew what my expenses were on a weekly/monthly basis, and I chose to forgo certain other "pleasures" (such as new tattoos) for a certain period of time.

Life Without Credit Cards. It's possible... really. I live on a fixed income, and budget accordingly for rent, utilities, food, gasoline, and "sundries". My cats don't go hungry, and their kitty-litter gets changed regularly.

So. I'd have to see the "low-end" custom B&B straight razor, but given that I find it aesthetically pleasing, at day's-end it's purely a question of determining a budget and adhering to it. Far better (wo)men have done so, which makes it easier.

Having said that, and assuming that I can budget for the razor, it'll be a question of aesthetics. I don't much care for etched blades, spine-work, or precious-stone infestation. I would prefer carbon steel, to stainless steel.

What might be an idea to kick around is that of selling the blade, and enabling buyers to buy/make/recycle scales, each according to his/her taste.

I'd like a 6/8" Damascus steel blade (read: like Joel's TZ razor, only smaller), mated to a pair of vintage scales.

Smooth shaving!

I've been fantasizing about the idea of stepping up to getting a custom straight for quite some time. I am very grateful that you are putting this opportunity together Joel. I understand the limited numbers; I only worry that there will be enough to fit the demand.

Anyway, thanks a lot.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Joel,
Are you by any chance in sales? I found myself reaching for my wallet while reading your post. You do make it sound affordable.

There are only two ways to log onto B&B ... with your credit card already in hand, or with it safely locked away & SWMBO has the key.

Major kudos for all the work that is going into making these razors happen!

Oh, I missed the *Custom* part. And I guess I have also seen average prices go up... (The Egyptian was not mid-range in my opinion, but I can see how others consider it to be)

In this case, I may be very interested :biggrin: (by the way, I do not consider the Maestro regrinds custom - only customized).

Looking forward to the developments

Cheers
Ivo

How about a pair of custom scales? I've been dreaming of an 8/8 vintage wade & butcher with custom scales...custom B&B scales would be absolutely badass. And I know badass.

P.S. If you don't make them I may be forced to do it myself... =) It's only copyright infringement if you sell!

And how about the blades? Will they be decorated, or will they be just plain metal, with the words and/or logo just on the scales?

Man, am I drooling over this...

The mid range custom razor sounds exciting.
Especially for the blade being > 6/8.

I definitely think that it a very reasonable price for a custom str8. Look forward to some specifications.
:thumbup:

Well see thats what I was saying. If they go custom the numbers will be so limited I think that there will be quite a lot of unhappy people who will not get one. I would suggest to joel that if interest is way more than availability he has a lottery to distribute these razors. I think it would be the fairest way rather than the guys who are able to check the board multiple times a day and are able to quickly jump on it and get it before others even see it. What do you all think aout that?

Well see thats what I was saying. If they go custom the numbers will be so limited I think that there will be quite a lot of unhappy people who will not get one. I would suggest to joel that if interest is way more than availability he has a lottery to distribute these razors. I think it would be the fairest way rather than the guys who are able to check the board multiple times a day and are able to quickly jump on it and get it before others even see it. What do you all think aout that?

Big +1 from me.

Even speaking as a member who checks the site multiple times a day, I believe in being fair about giving others a chance. I would be up for a lottery. I think though that there should be a lottery for the $550 one first, so that if I do not win one, I will have the opportunity to try for the $250 one. Also, as a second rule, I don't think anyone should be able to buy both; only one B&B razor per member.

Alright fellas... I had a great conversation with the custom razor maker today, and I have a quick question... how many of you would be interested in purchasing the "ultra high end" B&B razor? (Note: to be clear as day - B&B does not, and will not make so much as a penny off of this, everything has been done to minimize costs as much as humanly possible and all money will be handled by a vendor)

Specs....

6/8 completely handmade Damascus Blade
Barbers notch
Probably Honduran Rosewood Burl, one piece scales

Price... well.... not inexpensive at $570, but this is over $300 off the MSRP of the razor (which is never discounted), and will not be done again in the future, so for what it is, a SCREAMIN' deal.

So, realistically, how many of you would be game for this razor come Mid/late January? MAX # to be produced would be 20, however it'll likely be 10-15, well - make that 9-14 as I'll DEFIANTLY be getting one :wink: Each serial numbered and with a certificate of authenticity. Just trying to figure out how many we should commit to.

Thanks!

Alright fellas... I had a great conversation with the custom razor maker today, and I have a quick question... how many of you would be interested in purchasing the "ultra high end" B&B razor? (Note: to be clear as day - B&B does not, and will not make so much as a penny off of this, everything has been done to minimize costs as much as humanly possible and all money will be handled by a vendor)

Specs....

Barbers notch

Price... well.... not inexpensive at $570, but this is over $300 off the MSRP of the razor (which is never discounted), and will not be done again in the future, so for what it is, a SCREAMIN' deal.

So, realistically, how many of you would be game for this razor come Mid/late January? MAX # to be produced would be 20, however it'll likely be 10-15, well - make that 9-14 as I'll DEFIANTLY be getting one :wink: Each serial numbered and with a certificate of authenticity. Just trying to figure out how many we should commit to.

Thanks!

Joel make that 9-13:biggrin1:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member

Specs....

Barbers notch

Thanks!

I will take one. I'm not "just sayin' this" ... no, I consider this a firm committment: if the razor described above* is there, I will buy it.

Committed.

(* and no, I don't mean that if there's a minor change ... like say, a different wood for the scales ... that I'd try to weasel out, either.)

Top Bottom