What's new

7 O'clock Razor

If you see a 7 O’clock going cheap then just get it . They can look grotty but both mine (long and short handle versions) have cleaned up very well. Handles seem to be silver plated and prone to tarnishing. The base plate and top cap plating is superb. They deliver a spooky smooth shave. A must for any Made in England aficionado.
As a finale to my recent razor grabbing mania I picked up the long handle in a fairly decent condition tin. 16 squids. Razor will clean up well from the bay photo. Teeth straight and in good nick.

Looking forward to getting her as minty as I can again. I suspect those more elaborate handle 'tinned' 7's were earlier? Dunno.

I had been looking at getting a 7 O'clock for a while, but thanks for spurring me on mate!

I'm done now.

No
More
Bloody
Razors

Last edited:
As a finale to my recent razor grabbing mania I picked up the long handle in a fairly decent condition tin. 16 squids. Razor will clean up well from the bay photo. Teeth straight and in good nick.

Looking forward to getting her as minty as I can again. I suspect those more elaborate handle 'tinned' 7's were earlier? Dunno.

I had been looking at getting a 7 O'clock for a while, but thanks for spurring me on mate!

I'm done now.

No
More
Bloody
Razors
Yeah.
Suuuuuure ... :001_rolle
:lol1:

Yeah.
Suuuuuure ... :001_rolle
:lol1:
Seriously. I've got an English Aristocrat Junior No.48 (the first and probably the best AJ ever made) for an insanely good price coming in the post which badly needs a re-plate, so that will be around £80 from BRG.

Also a '41 Ranger Tech which again, was an amazing bargain which deserves a re-plate although she is looking very good from the pics. So may be £160 for replates and I want some proraso green cream and AS for the spring and summer. Thats a modest outlay though.

Also my blade mania is still strong so there will be small but regular purchases ongoing.

I need to maintain the razor zoo that I already have accidently acquired, so any more razors and Mrs Ladd will start to get violent. She seems to grasp the re-plate argument and I schooled her on menthol.

But my propaganda is wearing thin, and I do not know how to iron.

I need this woman in my life.

Last edited:
Seriously. I've got an English Aristocrat Junior No.48 (the first and probably the best AJ ever made) for an insanely good price coming in the post which badly needs a re-plate, so that will be around £80 from BRG.

Also a '41 Ranger Tech which again, was an amazing bargain which deserves a re-plate although she is looking very good from the pics. So may be £160 for replates and I want some proraso green cream and AS for the spring and summer. Thats a modest outlay though.

Also my blade mania is still strong so there will be small but regular purchases ongoing.

I need to mintain the razor zoo that I already have accidently acquired, so any more razors and Mrs Ladd will start to get violent. She seems to grasp the re-plate argument and I schooled her on menthol.

But my propaganda is wearing thin, and I do not know how to iron.

I need this woman in my life.
Oh, I so understand, my friend.
I so understand. ;) :)

B

Barney14

I'm done now.

No
More
Bloody
Razors
I was going to bid on this razor myself but forgot about it, well done on getting a great razor, the best I have tried by a long way.
7 oclock yellows, Minora and GSBs have worked really well, I suspect any blade will be fine in this razor

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

I'm done now.

No
More
Bloody
Razors
If that is the one I saw then it looks a nice example. I would be very interested in seeing a complete list of your razors - now that you are 'done now' 👍

Saturday 7 O’Clock shave…..
….Kai blade, Proraso pre shave (I like it and it works well softening my whiskers), Omega mini boar, Harris Sandalwood soap and cologne.
Love how smooth the 7OC is .
A contemplative session at the sink.
Took my time and found it a relaxing, kind of meditative affair.
Felt refreshed and good .
IMG_6592.jpeg

B

Barney14

Saturday 7 O’Clock shave…..
….Kai blade, Proraso pre shave (I like it and it works well softening my whiskers), Omega mini boar, Harris Sandalwood soap and cologne.
Love how smooth the 7OC is .
A contemplative session at the sink.
Took my time and found it a relaxing, kind of meditative affair.
Felt refreshed and good .
Mine was Prorasso and Feather blade, as you say meditative and refreshed

I've been watching for a vintage 7 O'Clock razor for probably close to a year with no luck. All the ones I found had some issue like the wrong cap or a cap with doctored pins, horrible condition or overpriced. I finally found a nice one and it was a great price too at $45. It was a little dirty, especially the handle so I ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner and then polished it with some liquid Flitz and its a beauty now. I assume it shaves like my #77 and #44 which I love since the base seems to be basically the same. I'll be trying it out tomorrow and find out.
20240424_001730.jpg

Attachments

• 20240423_234923.jpg
    20240423_234923.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 14
  • 20240423_235006.jpg
    20240423_235006.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
I've been watching for a vintage 7 O'Clock razor for probably close to a year with no luck. All the ones I found had some issue like the wrong cap or a cap with doctored pins, horrible condition or overpriced. I finally found a nice one and it was a great price too at $45. It was a little dirty, especially the handle so I ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner and then polished it with some liquid Flitz and it’s a beauty now. I assume it shaves like my #77 and #44 which I love since the base seems to be basically the same. I'll be trying it out tomorrow and find out. View attachment 1834774
A great score there….
I’m going to try mine out with a modern 7 O’Clock yellow blade this weekend. I reckon it will be a perfect match.
I have the Gillette #77 but use the 7OC in preference. Maybe the handle makes a slight difference to how it shaves? Or is it just a placebo type effect?
Shaves are smooth, close and irritation free with an appropriate blade (no Feathers for me).
The 7 O’Clock OC is one of my best razors….maybe THE best.

A great score there….
I’m going to try mine out with a modern 7 O’Clock yellow blade this weekend. I reckon it will be a perfect match.
I have the Gillette #77 but use the 7OC in preference. Maybe the handle makes a slight difference to how it shaves? Or is it just a placebo type effect?
Shaves are smooth, close and irritation free with an appropriate blade (no Feathers for me).
The 7 O’Clock OC is one of my best razors….maybe THE best.
Thanks. I think the 3 piece #44 and it may be more similar than the #77 2 piece due to the handles as you mentioned. I like those 7 o'clock yellows also. I bought some as an alternative to feather (which I hate) to pump up mild razors like the President and they work great. I like the Kai blades better though now for that but the yellows are great and cheaper. Who knows how long they'll still be available.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Or is it just a placebo type effect?
I wonder the same thing, my favourite razor of any I have tried is an English Gillette Goodwill long comb. In truth, it shaves the same as any other New long comb, the same as my #77 two piece, and the same as the 7 O'Clock I owned. But, for some intangible reason, that I cannot explain and that is not important, the Goodwill is my favourite.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I've been watching for a vintage 7 O'Clock razor for probably close to a year with no luck. All the ones I found had some issue like the wrong cap or a cap with doctored pins, horrible condition or overpriced. I finally found a nice one and it was a great price too at $45. It was a little dirty, especially the handle so I ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner and then polished it with some liquid Flitz and its a beauty now. I assume it shaves like my #77 and #44 which I love since the base seems to be basically the same. I'll be trying it out tomorrow and find out.

Beautiful razor. And a steal at $45!

The 7 O'clock is a great razor. Efficient but still a very mild & smooth shaving razor. I used it with a GSB and had an excellent BBS result from my standard 3 pass. The 7 o'clock is a flat bottom not an RFB so maybe not quite fair to compare it to the 44 and 77. I'm going to use my #44 tomorrow to compare results, but the 7 o'clock is definitely fantastic!

Top Bottom