What's new

#3 of 4 for bakerbarber

I'm skipping to #3 since #2 wasn't really a restore. I mean, the first one wasn't either.

Of the four TGN knots I purchased, one went into a Switchback 400 and one went into a Rudy Vey beehive. Mixing the epoxy was the hardest part for those two.

This one was a little more involved.

Not too many pictures, but I'm overjoyed with the outcome.

Unbranded no name butterscotch brush.
Went with the 22mm Silvertip Premium.
I had to open the hole a few mm to get her in snuggly but getting the old knot out was a hassle and a half.

This knot was set deep. It was in some black stuff at the bottom and up the sides inside the original hole. The hairs were long both above and below the opening. Below the opening they were so dense and thick it took forever to drill them out a little bit at a time.

I went out of my way to protect and preserve the butterscotch patina. I think I did alright. Going to admire this brush for a while before test lathering it.

The brush cost more than I'm used to spending for a restore. I was drawn to the shape and the rich color of the handle. Still well under what a finished quality brush costs new anywhere.

The original brush was around $35 off of eBay. The knot about $30. Plus an hour of my time. Close to the size and knot of my Keyhole 3 in Best badger that set me back about $115. So I got to actually put my brush together myself and save a third of the money while doing it. Hopefully it performs as well or better too.

Sorry for not having more pictures.

Before and after attached. Beside my PJ1 in both pictures.

Attachments

• $IMG_20160115_175917.jpg
    $IMG_20160115_175917.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 62
  • $IMG_20160213_125731.jpg
    $IMG_20160213_125731.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
They look Great ! Nice addition to your Collection , great to see the rewards and know you helped revive an older set of brushes . I hope they preform well and help give many Great Shaves . Sweet Looking Brushes ! Beautiful Handles !

Top Bottom