What's new

2022 March Meerschaum Madness

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I've got two Pioneer Gourd Calabash pipes, an AKB carved head Meerschaum, and three Falcon Meerschaum bowls, so I am ready for March.
Better weather is a bonus, looking forward to that too.
Do you guys beeswax your Meers, or is that an old wives tale?
I've heard that beeswax will help prevent fingerprint handling causing splotchy coloring.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I've got two Pioneer Gourd Calabash pipes, an AKB carved head Meerschaum, and three Falcon Meerschaum bowls, so I am ready for March.
I've heard that beeswax will help prevent fingerprint handling causing splotchy coloring.

I follow Micah's advice and dont handle my fresh meer for the first 10-15 smokes. After that, i handle it like normal. I have been waxing my meers once a year. Youll feel the meer not have its smooth texuture and thats kinda the cue. Micah has a recipe for the waxing that he uses. I know its white bees wax with some jojobah oil mixed in .

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I follow Micah's advice and dont handle my fresh meer for the first 10-15 smokes. After that, i handle it like normal. I have been waxing my meers once a year. Youll feel the meer not have its smooth texuture and thats kinda the cue. Micah has a recipe for the waxing that he uses. I know its white bees wax with some jojobah oil mixed in .
Thanks!
I couldn't find anything by Micah on waxing, though I did find James old post on Meer care:

Last edited:

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Well, I now have one. Well two I guess with my gourd calabash. I’ll smoke the meet more in March. I kind of forget about it because it’s in its case and not on the rack.

MMM! Takes the question out of "what pipe to smoke", at least down to fewer choices! I'm looking forward to March!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

I do wax my meers, but only when they need it. Generally, it's when the meer starts feeling a little rough instead of glass smooth. Ironically, a freshly waxed pipe can actually capture and set fingerprints, because the surface can be a little tacky especially if you use only beeswax.

Here's my method for waxing:

I use a low oven, like 200 degrees. I take some aluminum foil, make a cone, and place the pipe so the bowl goes over the cone and balances. You want the pipe to not be in contact with anything (except the inside of the chamber). With the stem removed, put the pipe on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for about 30-40 minutes. You can do several pipes on a tray for a session.

You'll also want to get your wax mixture up to temp. I put 1 oz of cosmetic grade beeswax in a mason jar with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil. The theory is that in the old times, makers used spermaceti from sperm whales with wax to create their blends, and that jojoba kind of does the same thing. Essentially is makes the wax mixture a little harder, more durable, and less tacky when it's on the pipe. But I digress. Pop the jar with the wax mixture in the oven at the same time and let it get up to temp.

After 30-40 minutes, remove the baking sheet and the jar with the wax mixture from the oven. using a clean brush (I use disposable small brushes from Harbor Freight), paint the outside of the pipe with a heavy coat of the wax mixture. be careful not to get wax into the chamber or into the mortise, or on the end of the stummel facing the stem. Be careful handling the pipe. It's hot, and you want to handle it as little as possible since it's very easy to pick up fingerprints at this point (I try to not handle it, or handle only with a clean dish cloth). Once your pipes are coated in the mixture, pop the sheet pan back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes. This will melt off the excess wax. Then pull them out and let them cool completely. Take a soft clean cloth and buff the pipe once completely cool. Viola.

Other methods include heating the pipe with a blow dryer and the rubbing it with wax, or putting corks in the chamber and mortise and dunking in molten wax. I like the oven method because the wax will penetrate deeply and provide longer lasting protection. Be aware that your pipe may darken or lighten when you rewax it. Just kind of depends on how much tar is in the pipe when you do it. If the color on the pipe is mostly surface color, it will likely get absorbed and lighten after you wax it. If the pipe is heavily smoked and full of tar, you'll likely draw some of this to the surface and it will darken.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I do wax my meers, but only when they need it. Generally, it's when the meer starts feeling a little rough instead of glass smooth. Ironically, a freshly waxed pipe can actually capture and set fingerprints, because the surface can be a little tacky especially if you use only beeswax.

Here's my method for waxing:

I use a low oven, like 200 degrees. I take some aluminum foil, make a cone, and place the pipe so the bowl goes over the cone and balances. You want the pipe to not be in contact with anything (except the inside of the chamber). With the stem removed, put the pipe on a baking sheet and pop it in the oven for about 30-40 minutes. You can do several pipes on a tray for a session.

You'll also want to get your wax mixture up to temp. I put 1 oz of cosmetic grade beeswax in a mason jar with about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of jojoba oil. The theory is that in the old times, makers used spermaceti from sperm whales with wax to create their blends, and that jojoba kind of does the same thing. Essentially is makes the wax mixture a little harder, more durable, and less tacky when it's on the pipe. But I digress. Pop the jar with the wax mixture in the oven at the same time and let it get up to temp.

After 30-40 minutes, remove the baking sheet and the jar with the wax mixture from the oven. using a clean brush (I use disposable small brushes from Harbor Freight), paint the outside of the pipe with a heavy coat of the wax mixture. be careful not to get wax into the chamber or into the mortise, or on the end of the stummel facing the stem. Be careful handling the pipe. It's hot, and you want to handle it as little as possible since it's very easy to pick up fingerprints at this point (I try to not handle it, or handle only with a clean dish cloth). Once your pipes are coated in the mixture, pop the sheet pan back in the oven for another 20-30 minutes. This will melt off the excess wax. Then pull them out and let them cool completely. Take a soft clean cloth and buff the pipe once completely cool. Viola.

Other methods include heating the pipe with a blow dryer and the rubbing it with wax, or putting corks in the chamber and mortise and dunking in molten wax. I like the oven method because the wax will penetrate deeply and provide longer lasting protection. Be aware that your pipe may darken or lighten when you rewax it. Just kind of depends on how much tar is in the pipe when you do it. If the color on the pipe is mostly surface color, it will likely get absorbed and lighten after you wax it. If the pipe is heavily smoked and full of tar, you'll likely draw some of this to the surface and it will darken.
Thanks, that actually sounds much easier than my planned method of heating with a blow heater and then painting the wax on. The oven sounds much more certain of getting to temperature overall where it should be without cold spots.

Hirsute

It's pretty foolproof. I had a pipe waxing party at my house for the local pipe club and everyone had good results. Just a heads up it's a little stinky, so it might be best to do on a day when other family members are out of the house. ;-)

And for your gourd calabash, just remove the meerschaum cup and put that on a foil cone in the oven. Super easy to do since you don't have a bunch of angles to worry about, and you can grab the bottom of the cup (the funnel part that fits inside the gourd) with a cloth or pot holder and don't need to worry about fingerprints, etc., since you're only going to put the beeswax on the rim of the cup.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
It's pretty foolproof. I had a pipe waxing party at my house for the local pipe club and everyone had good results. Just a heads up it's a little stinky, so it might be best to do on a day when other family members are out of the house. ;-)

And for your gourd calabash, just remove the meerschaum cup and put that on a foil cone in the oven. Super easy to do since you don't have a bunch of angles to worry about, and you can grab the bottom of the cup (the funnel part that fits inside the gourd) with a cloth or pot holder and don't need to worry about fingerprints, etc., since you're only going to put the beeswax on the rim of the cup.
I have the house to myself all day long (except for the dogs, and they never complain).

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
@Hirsute
Well that just worked like a treat!
I laid a very heavy coat on, and despite my fear of build up because of all the lattice work and deep carved swirls, after the second heat it came out absolutely perfect. Except for the soft cloth buffing, I didn't have to do any clean up at all, which might not have turned out the same if I had used the heat gun method.
Two Gourd Calabash bowls and my AKB Meer done and ready for March Meer Madness!

Hirsute

@Hirsute
Well that just worked like a treat!
I laid a very heavy coat on, and despite my fear of build up because of all the lattice work and deep carved swirls, after the second heat it came out absolutely perfect. Except for the soft cloth buffing, I didn't have to do any clean up at all, which might not have turned out the same if I had used the heat gun method.
Two Gourd Calabash bowls and my AKB Meer done and ready for March Meer Madness!
Glad to hear it! First time is the scariest. Now you’re ready to roll and spread the gospel of the oven rewax.

Top Bottom