What's new

2016 NFL Official Thread

Bears got a seeming great person in Akiem Hicks. He presents himself as an unassuming, unpretentious, intelligent, mountain of a man. Glad to see him get a deal and a chance to play. I think he has some athletic ability. Wish him well in Chicago. Think he is a player.

Reportedly Patriots worked really hard to keep him, when they shopped Chandler Jones. Hoody wouldn't overpay ransom for his granny if she was kidnapped.

I think Elway has been taking notes, [emoji6]

A little different in execution. Elway lets it play out to the end of contract and then doesn't overpay. Bellichick's mode of operation is to move them out a year before the payday. (Chandler Jones)

Maybe the SB banner game will be Broncos vs Patriots. "Dirty Sanchez" vs "The Galloping Chicken" Jimmy Garoppolo. That would be awesome.

A little different in execution. Elway lets it play out to the end of contract and then doesn't overpay. Bellichick's mode of operation is to move them out a year before the payday. (Chandler Jones)
Good point. I've noticed that. Seems pretty cold blooded. But I guess engaged it takes right? But if we'd done that, we'd have been without Danny and Malik last year which might not have been enough with the state of our offense last year. Not to mention Brock who stepped and did pretty well for his first start in when needed.

It is a cold blooded business and all the players know it. I think Elway thought he was going to get a hometown discount with Osweiller. Didn't work out. Maybe, Elway should have worked out long deals with Trevathan, Osweiler, Anderson and Jackson two years ago. Maybe, he didn't see them as part of the long term plan.

GM's have to identify young players early and restructure contracts early to keep them at club friendly contracts for longer term deals. They fund it by cutting loose veterans one year early who have big contracts while they still have value. That way you remain competitive for 7-10 years as opposed to 1-2 great teams with salary cap issues going forward.

It is a cold blooded business and all the players know it.
Yes
I think Elway thought he was going to get a hometown discount with Osweiller. Didn't work out. Maybe, Elway should have worked out long deals with Trevathan, Osweiler, Anderson and Jackson two years ago. Maybe, he didn't see them as part of the long term plan.
Two years ago they were rookies you'd have needed a crystal ball to know to renegotiate contracts for rookie draft selections. I think Elway thought Brock was worth what he offered and no more. He hoped Brock would want to stay with a proven winner but he took the bigger money. Can't blame him. Guess we'll see which of them is right about having the best chance to win.
GM's have to identify young players early and restructure contracts early to keep them at club friendly contracts for longer term deals. They fund it by cutting loose veterans one year early who have big contracts while they still have value. That way you remain competitive for 7-10 years as opposed to 1-2 great teams with salary cap issues going forward.
Example of this crystal ball reading?

Last edited:

Umm, New England Patriots, maybe?

proxy.php

Patriots big three Edelman, Gronk, Brady salary cap 2016 around $25M. Brady always signed team friendly deals, Gronk was signed to a team friendly deal when he was injured with additional guaranteed money in his contract, Edelman signed an undervalued deal because no one wanted him.

Ravens win the Super Bowl and let Flacco go to the wall with a contract. They had to let go a lot of talent to sign him to a huge contract. Difficult year for Ravens last year. Maybe they will rebound.

Umm, New England Patriots, maybe?
Tom Brady is the only patriot involved with all those Superbowls. His original contract wasn't renegotiated for like 2 1/2 years and he did take the hometown discount and is probably the most underpaid quarterback in the NFL. No GM genius or crystal ball reading there, just a hard working QB who's willing to make sacrifices to win.

Browns fan since 84-85...

I can't even begin to describe what it's like being a fan of this perennial dumpster fire..

You missed the golden years. The Browns were great in the 1960's. Otto Graham, Jim Brown, Ernie Davis etc. Games used to be broadcast into New England. I don't know why. There are still pockets of Browns fans in New England.

Browns fan since 84-85...

I can't even begin to describe what it's like being a fan of this perennial dumpster fire..
That's gotta suck to have a team on the path to dominance robbed from you. Then replaced but not yet returned to that former great potential.

You do have to have a crystal ball. Trevathan, Jackson and Osweiller were drafted in 2012. Anderson was drafted in 2013.

Hightower 2012, Collins 2013 and Butler 2014 and the Patriots are trying to work out long term deals with them now. They made their decision on Chandler Jones.

Last edited:
Patriots big three Edelman, Gronk, Brady.
Edelman signed a four year deal with the Patriots and didn't renegotiate it. Gronk did renegotiate after two years, like most teams typically do with players they consider critical. Might have been a good time to resign Von Miller I guess. But hindsight is 20-20. He wasn't as dominant then and didn't even play most of that year. He was suspended six games for violating league policy having attempted to cheat a drug test. Then he tore an ACL.
Brady always signed team friendly deals
That's lucky for the Patriots but not GM crystal ball reading.
Ravens win the Super Bowl and let Flacco go to the wall with a contract. They had to let go a lot of talent to sign him to a huge contract. Difficult year for Ravens last year. Maybe they will rebound.
Ozzie is pretty good but you're right, they paid an awful lot for Flacco. He was still heaving the ball up in the air but there were no longer talented receivers there to catch it and make him look good. Although when Kubiak was there he had his best year ever.

Still waiting for an example of this genius resigning guys cheap after the first year.

Last edited:
Tom Brady is the only patriot involved with all those Superbowls. His original contract wasn't renegotiated for like 2 1/2 years and he did take the hometown discount and is probably the most underpaid quarterback in the NFL. No GM genius or crystal ball reading there, just a hard working QB who's willing to make sacrifices to win.

Wait, I thought we were discussing how to enable success long term?

Which is what the Pats have managed to do the past 15 years.

GM certainly plays a big part in that. Being able to let go Revis after winning the SB, and Revis having been a big part of that sucess? Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Richard Seymour, Randy Moss, on and on is the list of Big Names that Hoodie let walk or dealt early. That is indeed good management.

Yes, Brady signs team friendly deals. Maybe he likes winning more than an extra few million in the already full to the brim bank?

The Broncos just won it all, and then both QBs dissapeared, sundry others have also left, and I would be quite surprised if they make it to the AFC championship again this year.

As mentioned above, "Average Joe" Flacco won the SB, landed himself a huge contract, and we haven't seen the Ravens around since.

You do have to have a crystal ball. Trevathan, Jackson and Osweiller were drafted in 2012. Anderson was drafted in 2013.
2012 was a good draft, Elway looks pretty smart there in hindsight. Brock to. Anderson was and undrafted free agent signed in 2013 for 3 yr(s) / $1,497,500.
Hightower 2012, Collins 2013 and Butler 2014 and the Patriots are trying to work out long term deals with them now. They made their decision on Chandler Jones.
Pretty typical re-signing periods, if you intend to re-sign.

Wait, I thought we were discussing how to enable success long term?

Which is what the Pats have managed to do the past 15 years.

GM certainly plays a big part in that. Being able to let go Revis after winning the SB, and Revis having been a big part of that sucess? Lawyer Milloy, Ty Law, Richard Seymour, Randy Moss, on and on is the list of Big Names that Hoodie let walk or dealt early. That is indeed good management.

Yes, Brady signs team friendly deals. Maybe he likes winning more than an extra few million in the already full to the brim bank?

The Broncos just won it all, and then both QBs dissapeared, sundry others have also left, and I would be quite surprised if they make it to the AFC championship again this year.

As mentioned above, "Average Joe" Flacco won the SB, landed himself a huge contract, and we haven't seen the Ravens around since.
Elway was being called short sighted for not renegotiating contracts after the first year and somehow having failed with Brock. I asked for one example of a player contract being renegotiated after the first year. I was hoping Brock would stay but knew he might get a better offer that made no sense to match. I support the decision to let him go, we'll see how it works out for Brock and the Broncos.

The Pats are lucky with Brady, there's always luck involved in going all the way. Of course you have to work your *** off to get in the position to benefit from that luck, or whatever edge you're able to find. In the end the best teams are often a hairs width apart so a slight edge can tip the scales. That's why any hint of rule bending gets everyone so excited.

As for the Broncos losing both quarterbacks after the Superbowl, it's pretty unusual. I don't think it's happened since the 2000 Ravens. But Elway knew it could happen and hopefully can navigate through it. He didn't make the mistake the more recent championship Ravens team did of overpaying for a quarterback. Of course we have very little cap space after the defense beefing up in free agency. But that's what got the Superbowl title. Name me a Superbowl team who didn't lose some great players and panic some fans. In the salary cap days you can almost never keep everyone together like the dynasties of old, it's designed that way. You have to do the best you can and become a better but different team. The Patriots have done that well over the years.

Last edited:
It was pure genius to renegotiate Gronkowski's contract after he was injured.
It was pure genius to let Edelman walk because he couldn't stay healthy and resign him at a team friendly contract when no one else signed him.
Brady doesn't look for every dime he can get and renegotiates team friendly contracts for both their benefit. It takes two willing partners.

Some players sign contracts for every penny they can get leaving short money for other players. Want examples?

Gronk did renegotiate after two years, like most teams typically do with players they consider critical.

We agree.

So which wasn't a player the Broncos considered critical.

Trevathan drafted in 2012
Jackson drafted in 2012
Osweiller drafted in 2012

Last edited:
It was pure genius to renegotiate Gronkowski's contract after he was injured.
It was pure genius to let Edelman walk because he couldn't stay healthy and resign him at a team friendly contract when no one else signed him.
Brady doesn't look for every dime he can get and renegotiates team friendly contracts for both their benefit. It takes two willing partners.
So normal practice becomes genius when the Patriots do it. OK
Some players sign contracts for every penny they can get leaving short money for other players. Want examples?
Since that's the vast majority of players, if not all, I don't need examples thanks. But it greatly depends on timing, luck. If there's demand, a player probably leaves to a place with a lot of cap space to spend like Brock did.
Gronk did renegotiate after two years, like most teams typically do with players they consider critical.
We agree.
So which wasn't a player the Broncos considered critical.
Trevathan drafted in 2012
Jackson drafted in 2012
Osweiller drafted in 2012
After two years, none of them were. Now we don't have the cap space and I'm sure Elway is well into replacing them all. Maybe not as good but good enough considering the rest of the team. Again, it's impossible to keep everyone.

Top Bottom